Windows 10: virtualbox/xpmode - vmlite pcbios.bin

Discus and support virtualbox/xpmode - vmlite pcbios.bin in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Jiggering search terms, I found these 2 links: Long Live WindowsXp/Run XP in a Virtual Box for free - Ashwani Kumar VMLite XP Mode Plugin for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by dinosaur, Nov 22, 2017.

1. dinosaur Win User

virtualbox/xpmode - vmlite pcbios.bin

Jiggering search terms, I found these 2 links:

Long Live WindowsXp/Run XP in a Virtual Box for free - Ashwani Kumar

VMLite XP Mode Plugin for VirtualBox and Virtutal Box 4.0 - VMLite

I did not create another virtual xpmode, i just applied pcbios.bin to the one I already have. I put the pcbios.bin file in the same directory as VBoxManage.exe and ran the command as follows (quotes and all, just sub in your virtualization name in place of my xpmodej2)

“C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" setextradata xpmodej2 "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/BiosRom" "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\pcbios.bin"

I guess I will know in a month or so if this works

:)

dinosaur, Nov 22, 2017
  2. Cybot Win User

Need information on XP Mode on Windows 10

if you use VMlite your copy of xp mode is already activated, just as it was under win7 XPmode. IMHO, for purposes of having virtual copy of XP, VMLite is superior to win10 hyper-v. in hyper-v, unless you have the enterprise version of win10, you can not
    use USB device passthrough. with VMlite, you can, just as you can with win7 XP mode. Of course, you need to have XP drivers for the device to work, but that's a given.

Cybot, Nov 22, 2017
  3. Cybot Win User
    Need information on XP Mode on Windows 10

just thought I would put my two cents in. I found a program called VMLite that has full XP Mode functionality. in fact, it actually has
    MORE features than Windows 7 VPC/XPM. all features that were present on XP Mode for Windows 7 are present. although my system can run Hyper-V, because of my older video card I can not get guest services to work in a windows 7 or any other
    VM. but VMLite has full 3D function and hardware passthrough. although the program is free, it is free only for non commercial use (I think).

If you were using Windows XP Mode under windows 7 and had the XP Mode package installed, and later upgraded to windows 10 Pro, then half of your work should already be done. the XPMode files should still reside in their installed directories. to make sure
    check your add/remove programs and look for "Windows XP Mode". then install the VMLite program.

After VMLite is installed, run the application, then got to machine > New. the Wizard should automaticcly find the XP Mode base file. VMLite and the XP VM will run through a simialir process that M$ XP mode runs through when readying the VM for the first
    time. you will then be asked for a password. after the process finishes up, you
    should
    be presented with the windows XP desktop. next, goto the Devices menus in the VM and select CD/DVD Devices > VMLiteguesteditions.iso . You will then be presented with a setup dialog. install the program as instructed. during the process Windows
    will throw up a 'panic' message saying that an unknown driver was installed and to maintain windows integrity...... blah...blah...blah... ignore this message and
    do not click any of the buttons in he dialog. instead go back to the guest additions installer and continue to follow it's instructions. one the guest editions is installed the setup program will have you restart the VM. next install the myriad
    of Windows Update for XP (if desired).

Windows XP application will appear on the windows 10 start menu, just like It did in windows 7.

things that I have yet to try but need to do in my VMLite XP Mode install:

the default configuration of the video card memory within XP mode is only 26 MB. I need to see if I can increase it to at least 64 or 128 Mb

need to see if I can create a link to the scanner software in XP mode and on host windows that only launches the scanner software instead of the full VM, like in M$ XPMode.

need to find a way to hide the "end of support notification update" (KB2934207) in windows updates. currently the option to hide this update is grayed out

the site to download VMLite XP Mode is:
    http://www.vmlite.com/

but at least for my connection, I am getting frequent MySQL errors when browsing the page. So I have posted a copy of the setup file from VMLite on my OneDrive.

VMLite XP Mode:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=FB6B5D18D0D968B!12887&authkey=!AENVNMnwijWI9tg&ithint=file,exe

[UPDATE]

shutdown the VM and then went into the settings for the VM, increased video memory to 128 Mb and activated 3D hardware acceleration option

also was able to hide the

"end of support update"

VMLITE XP Mode tested on :

Toshiba P500-ST6844 PSPGSU-0Q2012

i7-720QM

8Gb DDR3

NVidia GT 330M 1024 GDDR3

500Gb 7200 RPM + 1TB 7200 RPM

Windows 10 Pro 10586.71 x64

VM set to use:

3 cores

3094 Mb (3Gb)

boot time of XP Mode( from VM start to desktop) : +/- 20 seconds

Cybot, Nov 22, 2017
  4. Hopachi Win User

I've tried this once and worked right away.

If that's a XPMode VM, it will work, if it's not (like a regular xp self-installed), it won't.
    Just put the file in the VM folder, that way it's put in the right place for always.
    I don't get what you mean by that.
    It should work instantly.

Hopachi, Nov 26, 2017
Thema:

1. virtualbox/xpmode - vmlite pcbios.bin - Similar Threads - virtualbox xpmode vmlite

2. virtualbox

in Windows 10 Gaming
    virtualbox: Hello,The system finds VirtualBox and suggests to uninstall it manually, to run the update, but I am unable to find any app/program containing it. It's not shown in the Uninstall or Change the Program list. I do not have any Oracle installed on my PC either.Kind regards,TK...
  3. virtualbox

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    virtualbox: Hello,The system finds VirtualBox and suggests to uninstall it manually, to run the update, but I am unable to find any app/program containing it. It's not shown in the Uninstall or Change the Program list. I do not have any Oracle installed on my PC either.Kind regards,TK...
  4. virtualbox

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. VirtualBox

VirtualBox: so do i install the windows 10 installaton media from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and put that on my VM how would i put the file on my VM to be a "guest OS"...
  6. virtualbox

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    virtualbox: Hello everyone I am new to the forum registered today. I downloaded VirtualBox a week ago and ran the setup but ending up not using it at all so I deleted it and removed it from my downloads also emptied my trash. Then while shutting down I get a message that an app is...
  7. virtualbox

virtualbox: please help me I cant find any help about this topic see this screen shot it about virtual box this pop up during the installation [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtualbox/ff8fb593-8cdd-4fc5-a7cd-78599dfd8e22
  8. VirtualBox

in Windows 10 Customization
    VirtualBox: Trying to install VirtualBox on Windows 10 Pro. But Microsoft Store wont allow, says I only allow apps from their store. How do I change this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtualbox/d15999ff-d19a-4131-8fac-9167d7075555
  9. VirtualBox

VirtualBox: I've been trying to install Andyroid but the install of virtual box always fails and removes itself with no message saying why. I have search and it seems some have git it to install without any fuss so there's little help for me on the internet. As you would expect 99% of...
  10. virtualbox/xpmode - snapshots as activation workaround ?

virtualbox/xpmode - snapshots as activation workaround ?: First of all, I apologize for the multiple postings - I don't get to spend as much time learning this new stuff as I would like. Since I cannot "activate" my working XPmode, is the VirtualBox snapshot function a solid workaround ? Just create a snapshot NOW, and every few...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pcbios.bin