Windows 10: Virtualized folder remains

Discus and support Virtualized folder remains in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; How do I remove my old Win 7 Users directory? Like: D:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by meimeiriver, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Virtualized folder remains

How do I remove my old Win 7 Users directory? Like:

D:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\C\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\shellext

Win 7 is already gone (I'm basically just cleaning out my old disk). MS is very aggressively preventing me from deleting this folder, though (via Win 10).

How do I get rid of this old stuff?

Thx.

:)

meimeiriver, Mar 20, 2016

2. Forza Horizon 3 Folder Can't Be Uninstalled

I noticed today that I had two virtually identical folders, weighing in at around 54gb each, for Forza Horizon 3 in my WindowsApps folder. The two folders had slightly different version numbers. I consequently uninstalled all Forza-related content through
    add/remove programs but one of the folders still remains.

At 54gb on my root SSD, I'd rather it not be taking up so much uninvited space! Anyone know how to remove it, please?

spacedyemeerkat, Mar 20, 2016
  3. How can I remove my old Virtualized shellext directory? error: But it can't be renamed/removed. The problem is always a "File not found" error when it hits the 'shellext '

How can I remove my old Virtualized shellext directory? Like:

D:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\C\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\shellext

The trailing shellext folder has an empty space at its end, and is actually called "shellext ". But it can't be renamed/removed. The problem is always a "File not found" error when it hits the 'shellext ' folder. Like

takeown /f "shellext " /r /D Y

ERROR: The system cannot find the file specified.

No attributes can be set on it, it can't be renamed (not on prompt, nor in Explorer, nor using 7-Zip or something). And it really has a trailing space (checked that by outputting dir command to file). Nor will a del *.* (on higher directories) work on it.

See also:

Virtualized folder remains

OP - Deleting weird folder fails

meimeiriver2, Mar 20, 2016
  4. Virtualized folder remains

Near as I can tell, it's the last 'shellext' dir that cannot be found:

D:\Users\Me\AppData\Local>cacls Microsoft /L /T /G Everyone:F
    Are you sure (Y/N)?y
    processed dir: D:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft
    processed dir: D:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows
    processed dir: D:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files
    processed dir: D:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized
    processed dir: D:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\D
    processed dir: D:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\D\Users
    processed dir: D:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\D\Users\Me
    processed dir: D:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\D\Users\Me\AppData
    processed dir: D:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\D\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming
    processed dir: D:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\D\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox
    The system cannot find the file specified.

5. C'mon, guys, where are the experts here?! *Smile

6. The trailing shellext folder has an empty space at its end, and is actually called "shellext ". But it can't be renamed/removed. Like

rd /s "shellext\ "

The system cannot find the file specified.

Someone, please help me with this?! Been looking at this for days!

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Try opening an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt and use:

rmdir D:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\C\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox /s

or maybe:

rmdir "D:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\C\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox" /s

You might have to use this first if the folder contains hidden or system files:

attrib -h -s D:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\C\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox /s

or

attrib -h -s "D:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\C\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox" /s

NavyLCDR, Mar 20, 2016
  8. Virtualized folder remains

Thanks for your reply. *Smile

I tried all of that before (and much more); but the problem is always a "File not found" error when it hits the 'shellext ' folder. Like

takeown /f "shellext " /r /D Y
    ERROR: The system cannot find the file specified.

No attributes can be set on it, it can't be renamed (not on prompt, nor in Explorer, nor using 7-Zip or something). And it really has a trailing space (checked that by outputting dir command to file). Nor will a del *.* (on higher directories) work on it.

9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Maybe boot from a Linux live USB/DVD?

NavyLCDR, Mar 21, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    You'll need to deal with it outside Windows permissions. Hence NavyLCDR's suggestion of using a boot disk.

You could also use a Win 10 installation medium and boot to a command prompt, or from Win 10, SHIFT + Restart and navigate to a command prompt via Troubleshoot.

dalchina, Mar 22, 2016
  11. I must admit I'm not that familiar with how to mount an NTFS disk under Linux. (Been running a FreeBSD server for years, but that didn't include adding Windoze disks).

meimeiriver, Mar 22, 2016
  12. Thanks! *Smile I created an Ubuntu Live USB, and was able to remove the old directory, no sweat! *Smile Probably should have done this right off the bat, instead of continuing to muck around with the Windoze permissions. Ubuntu even auto-mounted the volumes for me, so I could just use its regular file explorer.

meimeiriver, Mar 23, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Glad it worked for you!

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Virtualized folder remains - Similar Threads - Virtualized folder remains

2. File Explorer - Folders moved to another folder remaining also in their original position...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer - Folders moved to another folder remaining also in their original position...: I am experiencing that when I move a folder to another one, it is moved with all its contents, but in the original position the folder is still there even if void of its contents.This is happening both when I move by selecting the folder and dragging it.But also when I cut...
  3. File Explorer - Folders moved to another folder remaining also in their original position...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer - Folders moved to another folder remaining also in their original position...: I am experiencing that when I move a folder to another one, it is moved with all its contents, but in the original position the folder is still there even if void of its contents.This is happening both when I move by selecting the folder and dragging it.But also when I cut...
  4. File Explorer - Folders moved to another folder remaining also in their original position...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Clean SSD install (Users folders remain on HDD) - help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean SSD install (Users folders remain on HDD) - help: My desktop has an old SSD (Win10 boot and applications) and HDD for Users files / data. I am replacing the old SSD with a new one and will do a clean install of Windows10 Home 64bit and all applications. I will keep my existing Users files data on the HDD. 2 questions:...
  6. virtual folders in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    virtual folders in windows 10?: Any way to create virtual folders in Windows 10? I’m running the latest version of Win 10 Home. I want to create and use some virtual folders which will ‘’hold’’ link files from various other folders directories. Any way to create these virtual folders? Any app for this? I...
  7. Deleted a user, but the folder remains & it's locked

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Deleted a user, but the folder remains & it's locked: I created a test user account, but it's no longer needed, so I wanted to delete it. I deleted it under settings>accounts>family & other people. It said it would delete all data, but it did not delete the user folder. The user is no longer available, but it left the folder...
  8. Deleted a user, but the folder remains & it's locked - how to delete?

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted a user, but the folder remains & it's locked - how to delete?: I created a test user account, but it's no longer needed, so I wanted to delete it. I deleted it under settings>accounts>family & other people. It said it would delete all data, but it did not delete the user folder. The user is no longer available, but it left the folder...
  9. An App that displays 'virtual' files & folders?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    An App that displays 'virtual' files & folders?: Hi, I was just wondering if there is an app that exists that allows you to show all your selected folders or drives and their file content but without them actually being really there?! It's hard to explain...I want to be able to have an ultra-light portable version of my...
  10. All icons gone (desktop & folders) only titles remain

in Windows 10 Support
    All icons gone (desktop & folders) only titles remain: Hello, After a restart all my icons have disappeared on the Desktop and in all of my folders. The titles under the icons remain and are selectable to open programs. The taskbar is also affected with only generic icons showing for programs; the Quicklaunch bar shows...