Windows 10: Visually impaired and faced with the Win 10 install! :(

Discus and support Visually impaired and faced with the Win 10 install! :( in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Very poor eyesight. I can't see any text on my screen without the Windows Magnifier. Asperger's, dyslexia, and a whole list of other yucky stuff wrong... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mr Mag00, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Mr Mag00 Win User

Visually impaired and faced with the Win 10 install! :(

Very poor eyesight. I can't see any text on my screen without the Windows Magnifier. Asperger's, dyslexia, and a whole list of other yucky stuff wrong with my brain that can make life feel like I'm doing hard time!
    I'm trying to move files from my C drive to the D drive so they won't be effected by the Win 10 clean install. Most of my files are already on the D drive because I reserved the C drive for a few games I like to play. C:/ is an SSD.

But I'm having lots of trouble moving files to the D drive that accidentally got saved to that drive by my wife! I don't know what they are... and a lot of them won't move. Maybe they're system files? The computer is asking for "administrator permissions!!!!" "Unexpected errors" are popping up! I really wanted to do this "almost" clean install,

but it's starting to look impossible! I'm pretty freaked out! I don't wanna do the "in place" upgrade because I need to clean out the system so the computer will run faster again. I can't see... my brain doesn't work, and I'm alone. Friends, family, and even someone from the American Foundation for the Blind didn't reply to my email asking for some help. I'm not angry... This is just the way of the world. I donno what to do. I have valuable files on this computer. Does anybody here have any suggestions?

The computer is running slower and slower probably because of malware and bloatware that tend to build up over time. I really need to refresh the system!

I'm running Win 8.1 Pro. I want to install Win 10 Pro.

:)

Mr Mag00, Jun 2, 2016

2. Accessibility and the Visually Impaired

Hi, I want to get a windows phone 7 but I don't know if it has any features that can help me. I'm registered as severely sight impaired in the UK and I wanted to know if windows phone 7 has any accessibility features that can help me. I have a iPhone 3Gs
    currently and that has 3 features that I usually use, I can zoom in anywhere on the screen at any time, it has text to speech and a high contrast mode. Does windows phone 7 have similar features and if so what? Thanks in advance for the help.

Mohammed AbbasWallimohammed, Jun 2, 2016
  3. Accessibility and the Visually Impaired

Hi,

Please have a look at
    this
    website. It discusses several ways you can alter your phone to make it easier fo you to use.

An hearing aid or an TTY/TDD for example are supported by the phone.

Hope that helps,

Tobias

Tobias D. - Security PFE, Jun 2, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I would install Macrium Reflect Free, make a backup image of at least your C: drive partition - which will be saved as one file to your D: drive. Once you install Windows 10, then you can re-install Macrium Reflect Free on it. You then mount the image file that you created earlier and you can browse it and copy files from it just like it was a separate drive, like an E: drive.

The only requirement is that you have enough free space on D: drive to hold the image file that will be at most 90% of the used space of C: drive. Making the image file makes it so that you don't have to worry about "did I copy everything I need to?" because everything is copied.

Macrium Reflect Free

NavyLCDR, Jun 2, 2016
  5. Kari Win User
    Just to add something: of course you can also use any external drive to store the Macrium image, it does not have to be your D: drive. When I make Macrium images I connect an external USB3 drive to store them, using it as target.

Kari, Jun 2, 2016
  6. Mr Mag00 Win User
    Will the free version of Macrium enable me to mount the image? I've never done this before.

If the image is not "mounted," then Windows can't see it... right? Mounting it makes it look like something Windows recognizes?

Like if my name was Windows, (call me Winnie), and I was looking for my friend "Joe," and I saw a giant blob of gook in the middle of the street, would I even attempt to look in that blob for Joe? No! But then if I saw a car double-parked down the block, with its lights on, then maybe I might think I could find Joe in that car?

(Sorry for the weird description.)

Mr Mag00, Jun 6, 2016
  7. Kari Win User
    It is very simple. In screenshot below I have opened a folder where I have stored a Macrium system image. I simply double click it to mount it as a virtual hard disk:

Visually impaired and faced with the Win 10 install!  :( [​IMG]

The image contains several hard disks or partitions, files I want to access are in this example stored on C: drive. I select it and click OK:

I can now access the user folders as if the system image virtual hard disk were a totally normal hard disk and copy them to my current Windows installation:

When done I select the virtual hard disk in File Explorer (This PC) and select Unmount Macrium image:

Kari, Jun 6, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

You might want to put the check in the box to enable access to restricted folders when mounting the drive from the image file.

Thank you Kyhi for the clear explanation!

NavyLCDR, Jun 6, 2016
  9. Mr Mag00 Win User
    I only got half of your explanation so far. I'm severely dyslexic in addition to lots of other yucky stuff. So I'm gonna do this, one "baby-step" at a time.
    I'm gonna ask silly questions because my brain just doesn't work properly. *Sad

Step 1.
    I'm on the first Macrium screen.
    I see 2 options:
    Clone this disk
    Image this disk

I want the selected data that's on this C drive, to be permanently on the D drive.
    I didn't select the part of the C drive with the OS on it. I assume that will be wiped with the clean install of Win 10.

Which option should I choose?
    Clone or image?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have to say how much I appreciate this help. This is pretty difficult for somebody who's not playin' with a full deck! *Smile Thanks. *Smile

I guess I should list some of the stuff:
    Asperger's
    Low vision
    Dyslexia
    Dyscalculia
    Synesthesia

Contrary to what most people think, synesthesia can cause problems... and for me, it does. *Sad

Mr Mag00, Jun 6, 2016
  10. Cliff S New Member
    This is a video I made for another Forums member so he could View Event Logs of Mounted Image, this might get you acquainted along with Kari's mini tutorial above*Smile

[youtube]dIH0q-Z_-1Q[/youtube]

Cliff S, Jun 6, 2016
  11. Kari Win User
    As far as I know access to restricted folders is not needed if the data to extracted is normal user data, personal files and folders in user profile folder.

12. NavyLCDR New Member
    I might have misunderstood the purpose for that block. I thought I had to have that checked in order to access user folders in the image that were not the current user logged in mounting the image.

NavyLCDR, Jun 6, 2016
  13. Mr Mag00 Win User

Please understand. I'm an Asperger. (High functioning autistic.) I'm unable to do many ordinary things. But on the other side of the equation, Asperger's syndrome can be a super-power. I learnt all the basic guitar chords in one night... figured 'em out... but the tutorials you guys sent me did not answer my question/s! *Sad

The Asperger mind works like a simple computer. (286 maybe...) Information given to me has to be totally literal if possible. Anything IMPLIED, I may miss. And I have very little RAM!!! *Sad I don't process incoming information well at all.

The tutorials start a step or two ahead of where I'm at. I don't know how to get to the first step. On the first screen in Macrium, do I choose CLONE THIS DISK, or IMAGE THIS DISK?

All I wanna do is move some files and programs from the C drive to the D drive, (where they should've been in the first place. My wife kept saving things on the C drive, (which I reserved for games plus the OS).

Mr Mag00, Jun 7, 2016
  14. Kari Win User
    All of us have some kind of disabilities. My vanity and love for single malt whisky are mine, making me a fruitcake, not to mention my neurological damages which forced me to apply for disability pension just yesterday as told here.

I'm with you my fellow geek, we'll go this through together *Smile

I am already grateful to you for teaching me something new. After reading your original post I have Googled and Binged your disabilities. You have my full respect.

Let's see what you wrote in your original post:

If your only intention is as you mentioned to copy the files from your C: drive to a safe place, then clean install Windows 10, and finally extract your files and copy them to new fresh Windows 10 install, then you select Image this disk selecting the physical hard disk where the C: drive is located.

In my case in this example I am saving the D: drive where my personal files are located, so I unselect other disks and other partitions on first disk except the D: partition. In your case you would unselect all other disks and partitions than the C: drive:

(Click screenshots to pop-out, click again to enlarge.)

Now I select Image selected disks on this computer:

Follow the on-screen instructions to create the image. This excellent video tutorial on our sister site Seven Forums will explain how Macrium works: Imaging with free Macrium - Windows 7 Help Forums

15. Mr Mag00 Win User
    OK, I got really confused... so I tried another method... but that was even worse! The videos don't really work for me I guess. My eyesight is really bad... and I'm dyslexic, autistic, and blablabla... *Sad I know I have to make an image or clone of the data I wanna keep after I install Win 10. And after the installation of the new OS, I have to mount the data so I can use it. There's a video up already that will attempt to show me how to deal with the data. How to mount it I guess? 'Cause I don't know how to do that. But I think I probably need to get a text description instead of a video, telling me what I have to do to make the image or clone. Do I choose CLONE THIS DISK, or IMAGE THIS DISK? And how do I tell Macrium where to put the "disk?"

Mr Mag00, Jul 6, 2016
Thema:

1. Visually impaired and faced with the Win 10 install! :( - Similar Threads - Visually impaired faced

2. make dialog boxes accessible for the visually impaired

in Windows 10 Gaming
    make dialog boxes accessible for the visually impaired: I moved to a new computer with Windows 11. It is almost impossible to use, however, because I cannot read any of the dialog boxes/pop-up menus. There are two problems, the tiny font size AND an extremely low contrast color combination of very light tan letters on a bright...
  3. make dialog boxes accessible for the visually impaired

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    make dialog boxes accessible for the visually impaired: I moved to a new computer with Windows 11. It is almost impossible to use, however, because I cannot read any of the dialog boxes/pop-up menus. There are two problems, the tiny font size AND an extremely low contrast color combination of very light tan letters on a bright...
  4. How do I adjust the toolbar for the visual impaired?

How do I adjust the toolbar for the visual impaired?: How do I adjust the toolbar for the visually impaired? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-adjust-the-toolbar-for-the-visual/93633f5d-554c-4bf3-8d70-01b75a34ff4d
  5. Taskbar accessability issues, visually impaired

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar accessability issues, visually impaired: As a visually impaired person, I require the taskbar to be at the top.This forcing it to be only on the bottom, and blocking moving it using the registry is in my opinion a violation of the ADA.Now that you all have effectively blocked ExplorerPatcher, you all need to finish...
  6. Taskbar accessability issues, visually impaired

Taskbar accessability issues, visually impaired: As a visually impaired person, I require the taskbar to be at the top.This forcing it to be only on the bottom, and blocking moving it using the registry is in my opinion a violation of the ADA.Now that you all have effectively blocked ExplorerPatcher, you all need to finish...
  7. Moving notifications visual impairment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving notifications visual impairment: Hello,I have a colleague who is visually impaired - he has no peripheral vision in his right eye. Given this, he is unable to see the notification pop-ups that appear in the lower right corner when he is looking at his computer.I have seen other questions in this forum that...
  8. Moving notifications visual impairment

Moving notifications visual impairment: Hello,I have a colleague who is visually impaired - he has no peripheral vision in his right eye. Given this, he is unable to see the notification pop-ups that appear in the lower right corner when he is looking at his computer.I have seen other questions in this forum that...
  9. Pango Screen Dimmer | Tray Color | Visually Impaired

in Windows 10 Support
    Pango Screen Dimmer | Tray Color | Visually Impaired: I have been using pango screen dimmer PangoBright screen dimming utility, from Pangolin Laser Systems with an HP Z23N turned to portrait mode. Pango is the only app I know of that sits in the tray and allows keystroke control of the brightness levels. The needed settings...
  10. Visual impairment customisations - retained on 8.1 to 10 upgrade?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Visual impairment customisations - retained on 8.1 to 10 upgrade?: A friend is visually impaired so she & I have done a fair bit of work to set up Win 8.1 for her with various elements enlarged, including browser windows etc. so she can see what she's doing. As and when the PC is upgraded to Win 10, and she wants to go to 10 as she really...