Windows 10: VLC not showing thumbnails view of Video File

Discus and support VLC not showing thumbnails view of Video File in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; VLC is not showing thumbnails view of video files. My Video files are generally flv. I have not checked whether it is showing thumbnails for other type... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by sam9, Mar 21, 2016.

1. sam9 Win User

VLC not showing thumbnails view of Video File

VLC is not showing thumbnails view of video files. My Video files are generally flv. I have not checked whether it is showing thumbnails for other type of video files or not.

:)

2. ccpjr Win User

Thumbnail view does not work for all video file types.

Windows 10 does not show thumbnail view of mpg and mpeg videos but it does show them for wmv files.

I have gone to folder options and made sure that “always show icons never thumbnails is unchecked.

I have gone to advanced system settings and made sure let windows choose what’s best for my computer is checked.

I have gone to default apps by file type and made sure windows media player is the default for mpg and mpeg files.

All video file types did show thumbnail view before I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10.

ccpjr, Mar 21, 2016
  3. nelsonskp Win User
    Video preview in Windows Explorer

When a video is previewed in explorer subsequent thumbnails show first preview. Even when other videos are viewed, the thumbnail show the first video highlighted.

Is there a fix?

Stuart

nelsonskp, Mar 21, 2016
  4. VLC not showing thumbnails view of Video File

Scottyboy99, Mar 22, 2016
  5. sam9 Win User
    Thanks but I read somewhere that there is malware in it and many antivirus will not allow this. So I am reluctant to use this.

6. I downloaded it months back and haven't seen any issues. If your not sure about the links you could try major geeks to download icaros from. I have zero problem with it. With any installer just look carefully at what your agreeing to during installation.

7. sam9 Win User
    Two questions - Whether it works on Win 10 64 bit and second whether K lite Codec Pack also does the same thing.

8. VLC not showing thumbnails view of Video File

Yes, I have windows 10 64 bit and it worked for me. Although my aim if you look at this thread was to get Windows to generate a thumbnail for mpeg (MS brutally ripped out MPEG support since Windows 7). Icaros worked perfectly for me in this instance but I don't see why it shouldn't help with the FLV thumbnail also. When I looked it seemed to support thumbnailing for countless video file extensions. Most of which I have never used or even heard of so I think it should have you well covered.

http://www.cccp-project.net/forums/i...c=7784.new#new

I don't know about K Lite Codec Pack, Icaros maybe included but I remember trying to install this pack once and it didn't react great on my system (it was a while back so cannot remember the reason). But I wouldn't touch it ever again personally. I only really use MP4, WMV, MPEG video files so no need to install codecs.

Before installing do you have your system correctly setup for Windows to generate thumbnails? It's worth checking if is working on other file formats. I don't think FLV is a native to Windows so I guess it makes sense that it won't show the thumbnail without the assistance of Icaros.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html

9. sam9 Win User
    Just for information. I have one XP also and in that machine VLC is showing thumbnails for flv, may be because of K-Lite Codec Pack. In Win 10 it is showing thumbnail for mp4 files but not for flv. So I am thinking to convert my flv files to mp4 files instead of installing Codec Pack or Icaros. Pl let me know whether Icaros is also Codec Pack.

10. I don't think icaros can be classed as a codec, it's just a thumbnail generator. If I were you I'd forget k lite and just install icaros - can always be uninstalled if you don't like it, take a system restore point first or better still a system image. Just for peace of mind but I can only say from my own experience icaros works great. Of course you can convert the flv files to MP4 but that sounds time consuming when icaros can provide fix within minutes. I do think k lite pack includes the icaros along wth the codecs but I think it's full of all sorts of stuff. When I tried it I just didn't like it, wish I could remember why. Maybe it behaves better on XP than 10. Which is why the option to only install icaros appealed to me. I find Windows 10 to be a bit of a fussy, ticking time bomb. I doesn't take much for it to start playing up so I try to be minimalist with what I install now, icaros fitted the bill

Scottyboy99, Mar 24, 2016
  11. sam9 Win User
    Thanks for the information

Thema:

VLC not showing thumbnails view of Video File

1. VLC not showing thumbnails view of Video File - Similar Threads - VLC showing thumbnails

2. Video thumbnails are not showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Video thumbnails are not showing: I built a new computer back in April last year and had Windows 11 installed on it. Everything was working fine except for the fact that for some reason the system would not show any thumbnail previews of any of my video files. That includes MP4s, MKVs, or even older formats...
  3. Video thumbnails are not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video thumbnails are not showing: I built a new computer back in April last year and had Windows 11 installed on it. Everything was working fine except for the fact that for some reason the system would not show any thumbnail previews of any of my video files. That includes MP4s, MKVs, or even older formats...
  4. Video Thumbnails not showing with 2K Video

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video Thumbnails not showing with 2K Video: I've recently started to take videos with my phone in 2k NOT 1080p & since doing so the thumbnail of the file is not showing But it still does on the 1080p video files. ? is this a bug in Windows or something to do with my PC? Running windows 10Any help would be appreciated...
  5. Video thumbnails not showing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Video thumbnails not showing: Hi all, so I have a strange issue with thumbnails for video files not showing - it's just the Film & TV icon. This happens ONLY for video files - pictures thumbnails show up just fine. The videos are typical MP4 files H264 encoding and play perfectly fine in the Film & TV...
  6. Thumbnails not showing in folder view

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnails not showing in folder view: My canon cr2 images are not showing at thumbnails though jpgs do show up. I have just switched to a different camera. The CR2 files used to show previously but these are larger 2m mb images. Do I need to somehow allocate more memory? 164984
  7. VLC not showing WEBM Thumbnails

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    VLC not showing WEBM Thumbnails: WEBM thumbnails are not showing up with VLC. This happens with other videoplayers but VLC used to show thumbnails for WEBM and now it doesn't. I have tried googlefu to find a problem but nothing seems to work. Anyone else know the issue? submitted by /u/PillarOfWamuu...
  8. File explorer thumbnails show no preview for videos

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer thumbnails show no preview for videos: Hi all, I just built a pc and installed Windows 10. I have been working on Macs for years now so there is a bit of a learning curve. I usually do video editing but have run into a problem. Typically when I go to finder, Mac's version of file explorer, I see a thumbnail with a...
  9. Show thumbnail for shortcut of a video file?

in Windows 10 Support
    Show thumbnail for shortcut of a video file?: Is there any way for thumbnails to appear on shortcuts of video files? Just like if it was the actual video file? Right now I just have a generic icon. 115362
  10. Video Files Not Showing Thumbnails in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Video Files Not Showing Thumbnails in File Explorer: I've ran Disk Cleaner to delete the thumbnails. I've deleted the thumbnail caches via command prompt (Admin). I've gone through View/Options/View and made sure "Always show icons, never thumbnails" was not checked. And still, I cannot get thumbnails for my .mp4...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. vlc thumbnails

2. vlc player not showing thumbnails only icons

3. vlc icon not showing on files

4. vlc thumbnail settings,
  5. vlc preview file not working in files explorer,
  6. how to set vlc thumbnail Im win 10 how to set vlc thumbnail in win 10,
  7. how to see vlc thumbnails,
  8. vlc player not show file icon,
  9. thumbnail in videos not logo in vlc,
  10. logo in vlc change to thumbnail in videos,
  11. windows 10 thumbnail preview vlc,