Windows 10: Vm ware Workstation issues

Discus and support Vm ware Workstation issues in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Recently i have been having a few issues with some of my VM in VMware workstation, ( workstation not responding ) i dont know what i did to cause this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Pantz, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Pantz Win User

Vm ware Workstation issues

Recently i have been having a few issues with some of my VM in VMware workstation, ( workstation not responding ) i dont know what i did to cause this , ( maybe the update to windows may have caused this ) but i would like to Reinstall VMware workstation but keep the VM that i already have installed, or move the VM's ( 3 of them ) to an EXT Drive and do i clean install of the workstation and put back the 3 Vm from the EXT drive on to the newly installed Workstation

i would like to know the if this is possible and the best way to go about doing this, or any other suggestion would be welcomed

Thanks in advance

:)

Pantz, Apr 28, 2017

2. Laptop on Win 10 Pro crashing with BSOD after Windows Systeme Update - UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP

I don't know V-.... I use VM Ware Workstation Pro on my laptops but not all the sofware for industrial robot or PLC programming allows to be installed on virtual machines. That is the reason.

Charles Diaz, Apr 28, 2017
  3. neilpzz Win User
    neilpzz, Apr 28, 2017
  4. pparks1 Win User

You can uninstall and reinstall vmware without any issues. It leaves the vms where they are.
    You can cooy them to another location, remove them from the inventory window, choose add, and pick the configuration file in the directory. It will notice a oath difference and ask you if you want it to correct it. Just say yes.

pparks1, Apr 28, 2017
  5. Pantz Win User
    Hello Gays and Gals. well after multiple updates attempts and failed installs to 16184 i was able to update my insiders review on my VM took all of 24 hours LOL , that was the longest ever update i have ever has , not sure if it was windows itself of VMware, also had EXT HD disconnect from usb device several times during the updates, not sure what is causing that

Thanks

Pantz, Apr 29, 2017
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I think your typo should be Guys !!!!! however not the point here as it's a technical forum and people's sexual proclivities are their own (and hopefully their partners) choice (at least in most democratic countries they are free to follow their own pursuits !!).

Simply uninstall VMware workstation and re-install say version 12. 0 and then when starting the program do a "Check for updates" when it should download and re-install version 12.5.5.

You don't need to do anything with your existing VM's - the new version will just open the VM's just fine from the .vmx config files.

Note though if you have any errors in the .vmx config files sometimes VMware will just stall without giving any error diagnostics - so ensure those files are 100% correct --especially if you've been editing them manually.

The logs might contain useful info but with years of using VMWARE the problems of starting VM's are usually quickly and easily resolved. If a VM really won't start then it's more than likely there's an update in the OS that's incompatible with VMWARE -- VMWARE usually fixes it as they say "P.D Q" (Pretty Damn Quick) in my experience though.

VMware itself should start just fine though -- see if you can for example at least get this type of screen.

Vm ware Workstation issues [​IMG]

If you get that screen and then it stalls when trying to open a VM your configuration file is broken or the VM image is defective (one or more of the .vmdk files) - in which case re-create the VM. If it's W10 VM's you are creating a new one won't require re-activation if it already has a digital licence - even if created again from scratch.

Ensure also that the VM has enough RAM allocated -- 2GB is fine for most 64 bit OS'es -- there's not a 1:1 ratio between physical and virtual as the latest versions of VMware use dynamic RAM. Also ensure the HOST has enough RAM - normally no problem, and whether using Linux or Windows as the HOST OS ensure paging file is large enough. Also SLOW HDD's will KILL any decent performance on a VM whether or not you have oodles of RAM and a powerful processor.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 1, 2017
  7. Pantz Win User
    Hello Again GUYS and GALS LOL Sorry for the Typo , i was able to re install VM ware an the VM are all now Working , al be it a bit Sluggishly , i have more than enough RAM on the Guest , 16 Gigs

Thanks

Pantz, May 1, 2017
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

it's not the GUEST --giving 16GB RAM on a guest would certainly be over committing and that WOULD cause horrendous sluggish running problems.

Try reducing RAM on Guest to say 4GB or even 2GB.

I've never needed 4GB RAM on a VM even on a W10 X-64 pro machine running photoshop, Office and and even a SAP GUI interface.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 1, 2017
  9. Pantz Win User
    Hello , Sorry i meant to say 16 Gigs on the Host my apologies

Thanks

Pantz, May 1, 2017
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

reduce Memory on the VM in any case --2GB will be more than enough in over 99.99% of cases !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 1, 2017
  11. Pantz Win User
    Hello again , all my VM are set to 2Gigs, was another error on previous post. its been a long day

Thanks

Pantz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Vm ware Workstation issues - Similar Threads - ware Workstation issues

2. Windows Professional Upgrade using VM Ware Fusion

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Professional Upgrade using VM Ware Fusion: I have an old licensed 32 bit version of Windows 7 Professional which I purchased many years ago..I have since upgraded to Windows 10 32 bit Professional using the license key from my Windows 7 ProfessionalI run this version of Windows on an Apple computer using VM Ware...
  3. Windows Professional Upgrade using VM Ware Fusion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Professional Upgrade using VM Ware Fusion: I have an old licensed 32 bit version of Windows 7 Professional which I purchased many years ago..I have since upgraded to Windows 10 32 bit Professional using the license key from my Windows 7 ProfessionalI run this version of Windows on an Apple computer using VM Ware...
  4. Windows Professional Upgrade using VM Ware Fusion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. BSoD Win 10 after update with VM ware workstation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSoD Win 10 after update with VM ware workstation: Microsoft R Windows Debugger Version 10.0.19041.685 X86 Copyright c Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Loading Dump File [C:\Windows\Minidump\082921-11750-01.dmp] Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available Symbol search path is: srv*...
  6. Windows 10 VM Ware

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 VM Ware: So i have a macbook wait around 120GB available. I was just wondering how much storage i would need to run a Windows 10 VM Ware? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-vm-ware/afd8c590-0d80-4643-a532-37691f6fd6ef
  7. Esxi - Linux VM itself running VMWare Workstation

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Esxi - Linux VM itself running VMWare Workstation: Hi there @johnnyZ Here's a screenshot of an Arch Linux system running as a VM on ESXI 5.7 (Esxi is the HOST OS) with the arch linux kernel at 5.3.11 and this VM running VMWare workstation -- so in theory your VM's could easily use any VMWare VM images from USB devices while...
  8. VM Issues

VM Issues: Hello looks like i have an issue with all my Vms, i have not changed anything , but today when i tried to launch then i go this error. i have been updating win 10 from the beginning and never had a issues , I would hate to have to rebuild them all, i cant even go back to a...
  9. VM issues

VM issues: Hello My question is a general one but I am curious as to how many people have VM's. I ask because I know you can test programs in it and run a more secure OS. I know it takes practice to become proficient with most everything but I have used Oracle's Virtual Box abut...
  10. Converting Local Machine to use in VM ware

Converting Local Machine to use in VM ware: Hello Guys and Gals, I would would like to Convert my Local Machine to a use in VMware, ( I did a test run on a laptop of mine which was successful. ) I would like to do the same thing on my Local machine, i have VMware running on my local machine ( with several OS on it...