Windows 10: VM web hosting --IIS, Apache or NGINX

Discus and support VM web hosting --IIS, Apache or NGINX in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks I'm starting in the area of web servers which I want to test on a local VM first - seem to me 3 contenders for this - IIS (Windows), Apache... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Aug 14, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

VM web hosting --IIS, Apache or NGINX

Hi folks

I'm starting in the area of web servers which I want to test on a local VM first - seem to me 3 contenders for this - IIS (Windows), Apache and NGINX (both Linux)

I know something about Apache, and a teeny bit about IIS -- however there's some excellent write ups about NGINX.

Anybody here tried that one and can compare it with the other 2 --ease of setting up, speed, security etc.

I'm posting this here rather than on a Linux board as a lot here run Linux both as HOSTS and VM's and also (obviously I hope here ) run some sort of Windows too -- usually saying anything about Windows on a Linux forum just gets met with a torrent of abuse rather than a sensible discussion.

Any help here appreciated -- I have my own domain but I want to test locally before I decide on what hosting service to pay for --some very good cheap hosting plans out there (get your own domain first though) but if I choose the wrong OS I'm hosed - so that's why I want to play with this stuff on a local machine first.

For VM's I've got unused W10 Pro and W7 Enterprise licenses so I could try for IIS and Linux is free so no probs there.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 14, 2017
  2. Rangor Win User

Windows 10 Creator Update Starts a Server on Port 80

I am also having this issue.

I can also confirm that apps like xammp that use apache or nginx will not start and spit out errors that port 80 is in use.

Rangor, Aug 14, 2017
  3. saberman Win User
    IE11 Extremely Slow In Loading Web Pages In One Machine With Windows 10 -- How To Diagnose and Fix?

Windows 10 Pro x64 running in VirtualBox VM.

Host: Surface Pro 4 1TB running Windows 10 Pro x64.

I have a number of Windows 10 machines (real and VMs) with IE11. One of them (a VM) seems to be having a lot of problems loading pages using IE11. The same VM loads quickly when using FireFox.

If I try loading the same web site on the host using IE11 it loads quickly.

I have disabled all the add-ons in the VM IE11 that are not enabled in the host IE11 and the problem persists.

The other VMs (also Windows 10 Pro x64) running on the same host do not experience the same problem. That is, pages load quickly using IE11.

I have noticed that on the problem VM some web sites never load completely. If I look at the CPU usage via Task Manager IE11 is above 90% of two CPU cores while trying to load the web site.

I have disabled almost all add-ons in the problem machine. Yet, when a web site (aarp.com) is accessed I get a message that the page isn't loading because a long running scrip is running. However, FIreFox has no problem loading the same web page.

How do I debug this?

saberman, Aug 14, 2017
  4. pparks1 Win User

A lot comes down to your workload. Obviously a .NET application is going to be served via IIS.

Apache has been the long standard. Nginx is used very heavily in the corporate realm. Amazon AWS uses Nginx pretty heavily itself, using it as the backend of Elastic Load balancers. Of course, within AWS you don't actually interact at all with the Nginx server, you utilize the AWS console as well as the API and command line tools.

If it were me, I would start with Nginx.

pparks1, Aug 14, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    For a Windows-based Apache I use WampServer.
    WampServer

6. Eagle51 Win User
    Haven't used NGINX, but I've use both Windows and Linux hosting and I prefer Linux (LAMP). As far as your VM, Ubuntu Server is probably the easiest to setup.

I use WampServer on Win10 Home for my development server *Smile

Eagle51, Aug 14, 2017
  7. roy111 Win User
    Apache can do almost everything, more versatile, more modules ...
    NGINX is for more specific applications but to do all things that apache can do you
    will have to code whats laking yourself, they can be used together (apache + NGINX),
    IF you'll need nginix extra boost.
    I would say use apache and when (and IF) you'll hit performance issue then start thinkink about nginx.

roy111, Aug 14, 2017
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi everybody

Thanks for your replies

I think as I'm starting in a small way and have decent Linux experience I'll go with LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL . PHP). I will be using the website for my Custom Vinyl Record service which is beginning to need a bit more sensible admin than "Snail Mail". The volumes will be small to start with -- so converting later might be an option --.

I'll use a bespoke Shopping cart application-- I can get a decent secure SSL subscription for about 75 USD a year -- these days especially if you want to use Paypal / credit card receipts you will need HTTPS plus encryption -- otherwise things can get hacked and when there's money involved you can never be too careful. It probably is best to stick with a system one has some experience with rather than try a new system - especially if you want customers on your site !!!!

I'll keep CENTOS as the OS for the web site server -- that OS I have experience with and can replicate the site at home.

Once I'm up and running I'll post the site !!

Cheers - and thanks

Jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 18, 2017
  9. roy111 Win User
    If possible consider using PostgreSQL (that would substitute MySQL), I find it a very mature and professional DB software.

nice

roy111, Aug 18, 2017
  10. z3r010 Win User
    z3r010, Aug 18, 2017
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @z3r010
    Thanks Great Info.

I'll have a go with that too.

Looks great -- that guy seems very professional too --- great thing about VM's is one can try different solutions !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. VM web hosting --IIS, Apache or NGINX - Similar Threads - web hosting IIS

2. About the relationship between Apache Web Server and Windows accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    About the relationship between Apache Web Server and Windows accounts: Hi,I'm using Windows 10 Pro and have Apache Web Server installed. And my friends/customers are connecting purely over HTTP.* Question:If my customers are connecting to Apache Web Server via http, are they subject to any access restrictions related to their Windows account?For...
  3. About the relationship between Apache Web Server and Windows accounts

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    About the relationship between Apache Web Server and Windows accounts: Hi,I'm using Windows 10 Pro and have Apache Web Server installed. And my friends/customers are connecting purely over HTTP.* Question:If my customers are connecting to Apache Web Server via http, are they subject to any access restrictions related to their Windows account?For...
  4. Regarding Apache Web Server

in Windows 10 Customization
    Regarding Apache Web Server: I have a domain and I have a website hosted on my Apache Web Server and I can access it by entering my IP in the browser so now how can I assign the domain which I have bought to that IP so that everyone in world can access it?...
  5. XAMPP (Apache,MySQL,PHP web server)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    XAMPP (Apache,MySQL,PHP web server): Hi folks Anybody tried installing XAMPP for using as a Web server (can also install things like word press etc on it). I usually don't like integrated packages but there's so many different versions of perl, phy etc out there currently that installing "classically" (e.g on...
  6. W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's: Hi folks So far got HYPER-V to run on a Virtual machine creating a lower level W10 VM - The W2K19 machine is itself a VM running on under KVM/QEMU So far only got Gen 1 to work -- with Gen 2 machine starts but no video - will look at that later but here's the Gen 1 VM So...
  7. Enable Windows VM's HOST access with KVM HOSTS

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Enable Windows VM's HOST access with KVM HOSTS: Hi folks If you are playing around with KVM Hosts and want Windows VM's to have host access without going through all problems of creating bridges (not supported via KVM on WIFI anyway) here's a simple way to do it : The method works by defining a "Virtual network" and a...
  8. Web Hosting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Web Hosting: Hello everyone. I am hoping that someone could help me with hosting a WordPress website on my Windows computer... I have got Apache and MySQL running in the Xammp control panel but I get directed to a blue page that says "Internet Information Service" when I visit...
  9. Apache web server error XAMPP Control Panel

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Apache web server error XAMPP Control Panel: While downloading WordPress as under error is occurred Problem detected! 4:23:14 PM [Apache] Port 80 in use by ""C:\Bitnami\WOE8F0~1\apache2\bin\httpd.exe" -k runservice" with PID 5648! 4:23:14 PM [Apache] Apache WILL NOT start without the configured ports free!...
  10. Apache

in Windows 10 Customization
    Apache: I want to remove Apache from my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/apache/1e5a4b27-7f29-4fef-8822-97303f74d436