Windows 10: VM's on headless NAS box (Microserver)

Discus and support VM's on headless NAS box (Microserver) in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there. provided there's enough "oomph" in your NAS box or microserver running a couple or even a few more VM's on these can be a great idea -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Feb 24, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

VM's on headless NAS box (Microserver)

Hi there.

provided there's enough "oomph" in your NAS box or microserver running a couple or even a few more VM's on these can be a great idea - especially if you only need to access files, do backups and run a few apps like OFFICE and some possibly corporate apps.

To access a Windows VM run this way you don't actually need to have an account on the HOST - in fact nobody need be logged on at all.
    You will need a user account on the VM of course - and it can easily be accessed by RDP from another machine / tablet / phone.

I'm not sure if a dedicated QNAP server can install a VM but if you set up your NAS server using any reasonable Linux distro then by installing VBOX / VMWARE or even KVM/XEN (nearest hypervisor equivalent to HYPER-V in Windows) then you can run your VM's easily enough.

In some ways file sharing is easier since you are already logged on to the remote VM so other than screen stuff you don't need to sling across data from the remote files to your local machine (unless you want to of course).

Note though if you want to access these VM's from OUTSIDE your network you'll have to enable port forwarding to each individual machine. It's done easily enough - since on most routers you can enable DHCP for general logons (wifi smart phone / TV's etc connections) and assign a few FIXED loacal IP addresses for the VM's.

I've found my HP microserver which I'm using as a NAS box runs 3 VM's without any prob whatsoever -- one XP, one W7 and one W10.

There's a nvidia card in it so I do have sound and decent graphics too and the RAID makes the I/O nice and quick. Am going to upgrade the SSD I've got in there where my OS runs (Centos 7) but going to swap that for a 1TB SSD to store the VM's on too.

Things like PLEX / SQUEEZEBOXSERVER etc work just fine too even when the VM's are active.

You'll need decent wifi connection for the RDP - but even if your OUTSIDE internet is not the best your INTERNAL wifi should be fast enough - check what you can do on your router.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 24, 2016
  2. AlanCam Win User

Win 10 Build 10547 no longer finds NAS on network

I have a small network of Windows machines (virtual and physical).

The VM on which I try out the fast ring builds can no longer see my NAS after upgrading to 10547.

One of my Physical machines exhibits the same, no NAS.

I have rolled back my VM to 10532 and it can see the NAS and then re-upgraded to 10547 and it then cannot see the NAS.

All my other machines Win7 AND Win10 not on fast ring can see the NAS.

AlanCam, Feb 24, 2016
  3. jmbvink Win User
    jmbvink, Feb 24, 2016
Thema:

VM's on headless NAS box (Microserver)

1. VM's on headless NAS box (Microserver) - Similar Threads - VM's headless NAS

2. Virual box , golang and vm box installation error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virual box , golang and vm box installation error: I am getting error while installing virtual box vmware and golang tried fixing it but i cannot. But i was able to install Docker. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virual-box-golang-and-vm-box-installation-error/e7d85884-08e6-488f-8673-6623d7dbcef6
  3. Virual box , golang and vm box installation error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virual box , golang and vm box installation error: I am getting error while installing virtual box vmware and golang tried fixing it but i cannot. But i was able to install Docker. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virual-box-golang-and-vm-box-installation-error/e7d85884-08e6-488f-8673-6623d7dbcef6
  4. One drive on NAS box

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One drive on NAS box: I have a number of questions that I can't find answers too and would appreciate some help:-1. Can I have two OneDrive sessions open at the same time eg home and work?2. Can I link/install OneDrive to a folder on a NAS?3. Can OneDrive be shared with multiple people? 4. If I...
  5. unable to connect to fritz box NAS

unable to connect to fritz box NAS: I have a problem that has just recently raised it´s ugly head here it is Restoring Network Connections An error occured while reconnecting to \\Fritz-nas\fritz.nas microsoft windows network: Not enough memory resources are available to process command I have did the...
  6. HP Prolient microserver N54 -

HP Prolient microserver N54 -: Previously working with windows 10 AHCI in a mirrored raid, but lost the boot sector in a power spike. All reinstalled and able to run Win 10, but network status is "Not Connected". The network adaptor list is empty. Any ideas?...
  7. ClearOS as headless NAS server on a VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    ClearOS as headless NAS server on a VM: Hi folks. Nothing wrong in virtualising servers these days. anybody tried this one yet on a VM -- looks quite good for things like NAS servers --small and very fast. You just run it from a webui so it works 100% headless - normally that's what you want a NAS server to...
  8. Backup of your NAS boxes

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup of your NAS boxes: Hi there A lot of people here back up to NAS boxes -- but remember These CAN fail as well (or at least an HDD can). So I do suggest that you actually backup the stuff on your NAS from time to time -- you might NEVER need it but who knows. NAS boxes (or things like Micro...
  9. NAS box or use cheap HP microserver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NAS box or use cheap HP microserver: Hi there I can get a decent HP ProLiant micro server with 4 bays for around 450 EUR. A cheapish decent NAS box costs around the same. I'm thinking of using the server as an alternative to a NAS box -- I can install my own OS (I'll use a Linux distro for this)and it's...
  10. NAS or Headless Linux box for multimedia server etc

NAS or Headless Linux box for multimedia server etc: Hi there I know loads of people here use NAS boxes one way or another. I'm torn between getting a standard NAS box or using a home build Linux headless server for similar --using Linux LVM makes creating Logical data spaces out of multiple physical HDD's a doddle. NAS...