Windows 10: VMs running slower with more RAM? (WMWare specifically)

Discus and support VMs running slower with more RAM? (WMWare specifically) in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi, I have heard that throwing too much RAM at VM's can actually make them run slower instead of faster (let's pretend that the host has enough ram... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Kaj, Sep 11, 2016.

1. KAJ
    Kaj Win User

VMs running slower with more RAM? (WMWare specifically)

Hi,

I have heard that throwing too much RAM at VM's can actually make them run slower instead of faster (let's pretend that the host has enough ram to function in this scenario).

Who knows real data to back this up or dispute it?

Thanks,

:)

2. Andre Da Costa, Sep 11, 2016
  3. WMware player

Do you mean "VMware Player"?

Processor Requirements for Host Systems

You must install Workstation Player on a host system that meets certain processor requirements.

Supported Processors
    The host system must have a 64-bit x86 CPU with 1.3 GHz or faster core speed. Multiprocessor systems are supported.

When you install Workstation Player, the installer performs checks to make sure the host system has a supported processor. You cannot install Workstation Player if the host system does not meet the processor requirements.

Processor Requirements for 64-Bit Guest Operating Systems
    The operating system that runs inside a virtual machine is called the guest operating system. To run 64-bit guest operating systems, the host system must have one of the following processors.

An AMD CPU that has segment-limit support in long mode

An Intel CPU that has VT-x support

If you have an Intel CPU that has VT-x support, you must verify that VT-x support is enabled in the host system BIOS. The BIOS settings that must be enabled for VT-x support vary depending on the system vendor. See the VMware knowledge base article atVMware Knowledge Base for
    information about how to determine if VT-x support is enabled.

When you install a 64-bit operating system, Workstation Player performs checks to make sure the host system has a supported processor. You cannot install a 64-bit operating system if the host system does not meet the processor requirements.

Processor Requirements for Windows 7 Aero Graphics
    To support Windows 7 Aero graphics, the host system should have either an Intel Dual Core 2.2 GHz or later CPU or an AMD Athlon 4200+ or later CPU.

Shenan Stanley, Sep 11, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

You could run into an issue if you assign so much RAM to VM that Host OS cannot function properly to run VM ie it is not the client running slowly per se but the host running slowly.

So if host has enough RAM to run properly, then extra memory cannot slow down a vm unless a memory leak issue or some other bug.

Basically, I always assign a VM half the real RAM and never have an issue.

cereberus, Sep 12, 2016
  5. KAJ
    Kaj Win User
    I have a host with 32GB of RAM. It's running 3 VM's. One with 20GB of RAM. One with 10GB. and one with 2GB!

That's way too little left for the host, correct, like none left. There are severe issues when one of the fileserver VM's does shadowcopies almost every hour, the whole fileserver-VM almost dies (and closes connections for people connected sometimes). I'm wondering if moving the storage to SSD could probably help some but I think it's simpler than that.. like give the poor host back some RAM. The one assigned 20GB is a FilemakerPro server. Thinking 10GB should be enough for it.

6. lx07 Win User
    It doesn't really work like that. With VMWare you can overcommit RAM (assign more RAM to VM's to your host has). You can also define what proportion of the RAM you assign a VM is reserved from the host. Quick Tip How to enable memory overcommitment in VMware Fusion? | virtuallyGhetto

By default VMWare also writes RAM do disk in a .vmem file. This reduces performance (as disk is slower than RAM) and also increases disk space used by the VM. You can turn this off (unless you are using VMWare Player) which definitely improved performance for me running a Windows guest on VMWare Fusion.. VMware Performance Enhancing Tweaks (Over-the-Counter Solutions) | artykul8

You want to balance the RAM between host and various VMs but VM need not take all of the RAM it is assigned from the host. What is your host? Windows Linux or OSX? What VMware are you using? If you are using Fusion or Workstation you can adjust this but in different ways - Workstation has a GUI, Fusion doesn't for example. With Player you can't do anything really.

No idea - try it. In your case though you could start by trying 16GB for example. Then even if you were reserving 100% of guest RAM from host (and disabling the .vmem) your host should still have enough to run.

7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I thought the latest versions of VMware (certainly workstation) actually use DYNAMIC RAM so the amount you set in the config is the MAXIMUM the VM can use - most of the time the HOST OS will just assign what the VM needs at any particular time and is usually very much less than the maximum.

Check also in the config that you have the hardware compatibility set to the correct value as earlier settings will not use things like DYNAMIC RAM.

There's also a warning in the setup about what happens if you overcommit

For example

VMs running slower with more RAM? (WMWare specifically) [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 12, 2016
  8. altae Win User

Yes, it's kind of dynamic. But only to some extent. On my machine ram reserved by the VMWare guest (Linux) steadily increases as it needs more and more ram. But it's hardly ever freed again unless I close VMWare Workstation completely. Even shutting down the guest does not free the reserved ram completely.

It's definitely recommended to leave enough ram for the host to function properly. Especially if you plan to use Linux guests since they tend to fill up ram until nothing is left. That's just how Linux ram management works.

altae, Sep 17, 2016
  9. The explanation I got from Ben Armstrong, program manager on Microsoft's virtualization team, is that virtualized ram is handled by the cpu instead of directly by the memory controller. That is what causes the performance hit on the host and the vms. The cpu simply has more to do. The more memory allocated the more work to do. I think that has improved with dynamic ram implementations by the virtualization solution providers, but that has only reduced the workload, not offloaded it from the cpu.

Cbarnhorst, Sep 17, 2016
  10. KAJ
    Kaj Win User
    So the reason I'm actually asking this is: the fileserver that has 10GB of ram assigned, runs shadowcopy several times per day to make sure files level backups are able to be done I guess.

When this happens the server lags out so hard that artist that work in big files (around 3GB usually) lost their connection to the server and the file has to be recovered from local temp etc. If they don't lose their connection, EVERYTHING runs super slow all of a sudden.. for quite a while.

on the host console I get tons [vob.scsi.device.io.latency.high] performance has deteriorated . I/O latency increased from average value of 200 microseconds to 13138 microseconds.

followed by performance has improved.... over and over and over. (some different but similar values).

11. KAJ
    Kaj Win User
    I guess that might be storage issues though. Maybe that is causing the entire lag. I'd love to throw the VM's on SSD *Tongue

Thema:

1. VMs running slower with more RAM? (WMWare specifically) - Similar Threads - VMs running slower

2. Not able to run VMs on Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Customization
    Not able to run VMs on Hyper-V: See image for errorVirtualisation is enabled in UEFI. WSL2 gives error 0x80370102. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-able-to-run-vms-on-hyper-v/f66a80ff-0862-46c6-884d-3ca09d196882
  3. Not able to run VMs on Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to run VMs on Hyper-V: See image for errorVirtualisation is enabled in UEFI. WSL2 gives error 0x80370102. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-able-to-run-vms-on-hyper-v/f66a80ff-0862-46c6-884d-3ca09d196882
  4. Not able to run VMs on Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. More RAM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    More RAM: Is there an way to get more RAM? or optimize it for Gaming? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/more-ram/6563cc3a-a01c-462b-8e34-ae450b6503c6
  6. Windows 10 becomes slower and slower the more you use it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 becomes slower and slower the more you use it: Why does Win10 become slower the more you use it? whenever i install it freshly it's super fast but after a month or two it becomes so slow, even tho i don't install any apps or services that might slow it down, it's still fresh but slower submitted by /u/sniperanx [link]...
  7. RAM use more and more

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAM use more and more: Ram is consuming more and more altough i have 8 gb of ram. Even there is no program running or any high usage program is not running then also RAM stay above 6.8 or 7.1out of 7.9. Please help me in fixing this issue....
  8. Laptop running slower & slower

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop running slower & slower: I have a Toshiba S75-A7270 with a 700Gb Hard drive with only 164GB used and 8Gb memory. Running Windows 10 build 17134. It has an intel i5-3230M processor. Bios version is 2.7 and Bios mode is UEFI. This machine has been getting slower and slower. It boots up slowly and...
  9. Does having more files on your computer make it run and boot slower?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Does having more files on your computer make it run and boot slower?: I recently received an HP Pavillion gaming laptop with a 1 terabyte SATA drive (no SSD). With all the programs, apps, games, and files I have put on it so far i have used about 140 gigabytes of the drive. Just wondering if all those files will hinder the performance of my...
  10. More ram

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    More ram: hi,guys I have a dell inspiron m5040 laptop, it seems to load web pages a bit on the slow side, I note its using 4 GB of ram at the moment, I believe I can add a further 4 GB of ram, do you guys think the upgrade to a total of 8 GB of ram would load web pages faster, thanks...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows server 2016 slower with more ram