Windows 10: Vmware - anybody got W10 to install and work properly

Discus and support Vmware - anybody got W10 to install and work properly in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there I see a load of posts about people running W10 as a VM -- I'm curious to know if it's running OK, whether they can install VMware tools (or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, Oct 1, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Vmware - anybody got W10 to install and work properly

Hi there

I see a load of posts about people running W10 as a VM -- I'm curious to know if it's running OK, whether they can install VMware tools (or vbox additions if they are using vbox) and what version of VMware / vbox are they using.

I can't get VMware tools to install on VMware workstation 10.0.3, IE doesn't work properly and program installs fail so currently my W10 installation is only "fit for the bin" as a Windows VM.

Linux Host is fine -- now I'm going to try it as a NATIVE (Host) installation.

I can't believe I'm the only one on these boards who have had a problem installing this as a VM under windows !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 1, 2014
  2. Mircaster Win User

Anybody got Miracast/Widi to work properly in Windows 10?

Dear Anju,

Thanks for your reply.

Been reading and testing different things for several hours here and in Intel forums and the cast is still not working. The computer finds the TV but it doesn't connect. I have a Samsung S6 casting to the same TV with no problem.

Here is my configuration:

Desktop:

HP Prodesk 400 G1

Intel HD Graphics 4600

Intel I5-4590T

Intel dual band wireless-ac 7260

Windows 10 version 1511

TV:

Lg49uf640v

Tesco direct: LG 49UF640V Smart 4K Ultra HD 49 Inch LED TV with Built-In WiFi and Freeview HD

Webos 2.0

Supports DLNA/Miracast/Widi

Please help me!

Mircaster, Oct 1, 2014
  3. Anybody got Miracast/Widi to work properly in Windows 10?

Hi,

Thank you for updating.

Please provide more information to help you better:

• What is the error message you get when you connect the connect LG TV monitor?

• Did you try the steps given in the above article?
    I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the drivers from device manager and check.

1. Press Windows + X and check on device manager.

2. Locate the driver, right click and uninstall.

3. Restart your PC and check.

Hopefully this will work, let us know the status of the issue. We will assist you further.

Anju Thekkethil, Oct 1, 2014
  4. Vmware - anybody got W10 to install and work properly

I posted the below on another thread but thought i would post here too as you have created a new thread for it...

I have ran it in VirtualBox, everything runs fine but no additions therefore it's a little laggy and rubbish screen resolution but all in all it works ok.

I actually got the additions to install running it in compatibility mode as Windows XP SP3 but it had no affect on the VM (Didn't break it but it did't sort the resolution etc...)

I have managed to install a few apps and run chrome in it.

JDobbsy1987, Oct 1, 2014
  5. Boozad Win User
    I'm running W10 on VMWare version 10.0.3.48389 and have installed VM Tools without a problem. The W10 VM seems to be running smoothly too except for the fact it won't pick up my Homegroup.

Boozad, Oct 1, 2014
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Thanks

I'm trying now via UPDATE.

I cloned an existing W8.1 VM and now am running an UPDATE to see what happens. I'm also re-downloading the iso -- I could have got a glitch in the download - mine is superfast so no big deal to download -- also downloading UK version as well as US just in case anything in the isos isn't the same.

@Boozad - thanks for the info -- that's the version of VMware I've been playing with -- anyway having another go -- This is why we call it "Testing" !!!!!.

It's easy to re-create VM's so I'll try the whole kybosh again.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 1, 2014
  7. I installed Win 10 TP in the free VMware Player witout a hitch & even the VMware tools installed however I had Jimbo45's lucky streak where nothing seemed to go right when I tried to create a bootale USB for the Desktop but eventually I succeeded.

IownAmoneyPit, Oct 1, 2014
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Update from a Windows 8.1 VM now works fine

Also using the GB Iso worked fine as a VM -- I think my original download must have got hosed up.

I've re-installed the VM on a Linux Host too -- so it all seems to be working now.

Quite pleased with it too -- you can't update directly from W8.1 enterprise - but it's no biggie to re-install some apps for testing. (You CAN run the .exe from within Windows but apart from your personal files it will work almost as a fresh install -- now how that works from W7 or W8 non enterprise versions I don't know however).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 1, 2014
  9. Where did you get the free version of VMware please, I've just been to their site and can't find a free version.

Joan Archer, Oct 1, 2014
  10. pparks1 Win User
    pparks1, Oct 1, 2014
  11. Thanks I'll have a look tomorrow, don't have time now I'm shutting down for the night.

Joan Archer, Oct 2, 2014
  12. JDobbsy1987, Oct 2, 2014
  13. BRU
    bru Win User

Using VMware Free Player, at the appropriate point in the process do I just point it to the Win 10 iso file I downloaded? Or does that file have to be unzipped (or whatever the correct term is)? Thanks.

14. Ztruker Win User
    Is the lack of a working Guest Additions why Shared Folders doesn't work in Oracle VB? I can define shared folders but can't access then from the VM.

Edit: Asked this in the Oracle VB forum as well.

Ztruker, Oct 2, 2014
  15. Its running on VMPlayer and the tolls(oops...TOOLS) installed without a hitch. Got lucky I'm sure.

play2mefish, Oct 2, 2014
Thema:

1. Vmware - anybody got W10 to install and work properly - Similar Threads - Vmware anybody got

2. Vmware Workstation and W10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Vmware Workstation and W10: I am running W10.Can anyone suggest why I am having trouble using VMware on my class 3 Dell 5430 laptop running W10? I was able to install Vmware but when I tried to open it the next day it would not open. I was also unable to connect a USB 3.0 Flash Drive but I could connect...
  3. Vmware Workstation and W10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Vmware Workstation and W10: I am running W10.Can anyone suggest why I am having trouble using VMware on my class 3 Dell 5430 laptop running W10? I was able to install Vmware but when I tried to open it the next day it would not open. I was also unable to connect a USB 3.0 Flash Drive but I could connect...
  4. FN Keys not work properly after clean W10 Install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    FN Keys not work properly after clean W10 Install: So months ago I bought a Lenovo ideapad 330, now it became ultra slow so I decided to make a clean Windows 10 install... I was about to finish but I couldn't get the fn keys work properly and trackpad gestures to work, Lenovo bridge tool didnt work, I tried to update the...
  5. W10 in Unity mode doesn't work properly (vmware)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    W10 in Unity mode doesn't work properly (vmware): Hi there Build 9879 doesn't work properly in Unity mode ---(VMware workstation 10.0.4 and 11.0) Not a mega issue but Unity mode is great if you want to concurrently test things without flipping back into the VM's full screen mode. Part of the windows desktop (in...
  6. Vmware workstation 10.3 - W10 cannot install vmware tools

Vmware workstation 10.3 - W10 cannot install vmware tools: Hi there Problem with installing VMWARE tools with Windows 10 x-64 using Windows host. Works fine on LINUX host !!!! (VMware workstation rel 10.0.3 build-1895310) Cheers jimbo 1993
  7. Host W10 - VMWARE - Networking - anybody got it to work

Host W10 - VMWARE - Networking - anybody got it to work: Hi there installing VMWARE workstation on W10 HOST machine -- (VMware workstation version 10). NAT and Bridged adapters don't work - anybody else had any luck (or with VMware player). (W10 x-64 Enterprise version). Cheers jimbo 2380
  8. Vmware on HOST W10 Machine Networks don't work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Vmware on HOST W10 Machine Networks don't work: Hi there trying various VM's on a HOST W10 under VMWARE WORKSTATION 10 -- (XP / W7 / W8.1 / W10 / Linux ) -- all these fail to start network either in BRIDGED or NAT mode. If the HOST is now a W8.1 system connections all work for these machines Still looks like...
  9. Black screen in W10 in VMware

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen in W10 in VMware: I'm using W10 in VMWare and everything's been working OK up to now. However, I'm now getting a black screen after adding my password. Black screen - white cursor. Only thing I can do is bring up Task Manager - (Alt - Ctrl and Ins in VMware.) but I don't know enough to make...
  10. Performance of W10 hardware in Vmware...

in Windows 10 Support
    Performance of W10 hardware in Vmware...: The "Performance & Maintenance" sub-forum is missing and I was just curious how other systems perform. The Vmware W10 "winsat" scores ON MY SYSTEM: "winsat disk": C:\Windows\system32>winsat disk Windows System Assessment Tool Note: Feature emulation process had...