Windows 10: VMWare Player - install as W8 or install later?

Discus and support VMWare Player - install as W8 or install later? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have W10 Eng 32 bit and latest VMPlayer. I tried installling as W8. It works but vmware tools are messed up. I have other vms with tools already... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by MilesAhead, Oct 8, 2014.

1. VMWare Player - install as W8 or install later?

I have W10 Eng 32 bit and latest VMPlayer. I tried installling as W8. It works but vmware tools are messed up. I have other vms with tools already installed. It seems to detect them after I get W10 desktop. Also it never asks me for the product ID.

Are you guys installing later by running setup.exe or what's the deal?

What happens is all my other vms I can drag and drop files from the host OS. On W10 as soon as the mouse is over the window I get the circle slash and that's it. Also copy paste, cannot paste into guest since it is grayed out.

Something is weird. *Smile

Edit: First thing I did after download was check the hash and it matches. The iso should be good. The host OS is W8.0 x64 preloaded on Toshiba Laptop.

:)

MilesAhead, Oct 8, 2014
  2. PKMishra Win User

Vmware workstation 7 stoped working after upgrade from Win7SP1 to Win10

Upgrade was perfect for all applications. But VMware workstation 7.1.6 went through the upgrade process but the VMs on the machine did not restart giving memory error. Reinstalled the software, VMs still do not start saying the "Authorization Service not
    started. Tried to install latest VMware Player 12, (VMware claims it runs on Win10), even that did not start. Both VMware 7.1.6 and VMware player 12 during installation gave an apparently non-fatal error message pertaining to "IRQL_NOT_LESS_NOT_EQUAL". Running
    Win10 Pro 64-bit with latest updates. Any suggestion to make VMware 7.1.6 work is welcome - PKM

PKMishra, Oct 8, 2014
  3. untamed42 Win User
    Windows XP mode right on Windows 10

It is possible with VMware Player migrate the xp mode installation to Windows 10

untamed42, Oct 8, 2014
  4. jimbo45 Win User

VMWare Player - install as W8 or install later?

Hi there

VMWARE is broken on a W10 HOST if you rely on any sort of networking. On a W8.1 HOST it works just fine. On a W8.1 HOST you can run W10 GUESTS.

I'm testing both HYPER-V and VMWARE at the moment but have had to revert a HOST back to W8.1. W10 GUESTS still function OK but prior to W8.1 (for example XP) if you need to connect to W10 HDD's then on a typical HOME LAN your XP system will SHOW the W10 computer but won't connect.

If you want XP to connect then type in the actual IP address.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 8, 2014
  5. The situation is the host is W8.0 x64. The guest I'm trying to install is W10 x86(one gig less download.)

The guest boots and I can use IE on it. But I can't copy any files from the host to the guest. I guess I can try copy to the Public folder. The other weird thing is it never asks for the Product ID during the install when I tell it the guest is W8(the newest on the dropdown list of Windows OS.)

MilesAhead, Oct 8, 2014
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

1) have you enabled Allow remote access to this computer (GUEST)

2) Are you trying to copy via CUT and Paste

3) Did you try connecting the HOST drive as a network drive and then simply copy as if it were a local drive.

Copying files though works for me - copy the file from the HOST via COPY and simply PASTE it into a drive or folder you have access to on the GUEST.

Note - I don't think it works if you access the GUEST via RDP (remote Desktop). You need to be logged on to the GUEST on the HOST machine.

Running on VMWARE workstation 10 - HOST W8.1 update 1 enterprise X-64, Guest W10 enterprise x-64.

Try also enabling SHARING on the W10 GUEST - give yourself full privileges --it's possible you might only have READ access on the disk you are copying the files to.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 8, 2014
  7. That's normal as far as I know if downloaded from the Windows Insider Program

Check in Control Panel, System & Security, System, it should show as activated already

paulsalter, Oct 8, 2014
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

You also need to install VMWARE TOOLS before the Cut and Paste between HOST and GUEST will work.

Cheers

jimbo.

jimbo45, Oct 8, 2014
  9. strollin Win User
    VMTools installed fine on my 64-bit W10 guest. Not sure if there's an issue with 32-bit.

strollin, Oct 8, 2014
  10. I don't know why but I deleted everything and started from scratch. It comes up with vmware tools already installed. But I can't copy a file. I guess I'll download the x64 and see if it makes any difference. Thanks for the replies.

Edit. Jus did it again. In Manage it shows "vmware tools unavailable" so I guess that's never going to work.

Edit2: What did you guys use for the settings during install? Did you leave all that info sharing stuff ON? Maybe I closed off access. But that should kill off all tools I wouldn't think.

MilesAhead, Oct 8, 2014
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

VMware tools is normally installed the first time you boot up the OS -- you do it from the VMware menu -then you should get a notification click on setup.exe or setup64.exe (64 bit version) - then after install re-boot the VM.

I don't see how you get VMware tools already installed.

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 9, 2014
  12. I tried it every which way. No dice. It installed without issue on W7 and Vista. Maybe I'll be able to get it on later. For now I got FF Portable folder over to Public then moved it, via the network.

Fr some reason the x64 install of the OS kept hanging and 50% configuring devices. I put the 32 bit on and at least it works. I can mess around with it at least. I must say the desktop is really drab. The "washed out flat" look must be the rage in Paris or something. I've seen better Dos character UI screens. *Sad

MilesAhead, Oct 9, 2014
  13. VMWare Player - install as W8 or install later?

I tried it every which way. No dice. It installed without issue on W7 and Vista. Maybe I'll be able to get it on later. For now I got FF Portable folder over to Public then moved it, via the network.

For some reason the x64 install of the OS kept hanging at 50% configuring devices. I put the 32 bit on and at least it works. I can mess around with it at least. I must say the desktop is really drab. The "washed out flat" look must be the rage in Paris or something. I've seen better Dos character UI screens. *Sad

MilesAhead, Oct 9, 2014
  14. It maybe worth re-downloading the ISO as i think i saw this issue before and it was a corrupt ISO.

Regards,
    Jamie

JDobbsy1987, Oct 9, 2014
  15. I checked the hashes before doing anything. In any case it's working well enough now I can run FF on it. Good enough to play around. Maybe VMPlayer will come out with a fix or whatever. *Smile

MilesAhead, Oct 9, 2014
Thema:

1. VMWare Player - install as W8 or install later? - Similar Threads - VMWare Player install

2. Installing Windows 11 on VMware player with ubuntu as host and windows 11 pre-installed...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing Windows 11 on VMware player with ubuntu as host and windows 11 pre-installed...: Hi, I bought a Lenovo laptop a few weeks ago with windows 11 pre-installed. Afterwards, I installed ubuntu as most of my work requires Linux. However, I also want to run windows with VMware player, but not as a second OS directly on disk. How can I install windows 11 on my...
  3. Installing Windows 11 on VMware player with ubuntu as host and windows 11 pre-installed...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing Windows 11 on VMware player with ubuntu as host and windows 11 pre-installed...: Hi, I bought a Lenovo laptop a few weeks ago with windows 11 pre-installed. Afterwards, I installed ubuntu as most of my work requires Linux. However, I also want to run windows with VMware player, but not as a second OS directly on disk. How can I install windows 11 on my...
  4. Can't install VMware Player 16

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Can't install VMware Player 16: v2004 I've been using VMware Player 12 for many years, decided to upgrade to 16, this is what I get when trying to install: [img] And yes I did run the installer as administrator. So I cancelled, the installer backed out and erased vmplayer 12 in the process. Any ideas?...
  5. Which VMware workstation player to install on windows 10

Which VMware workstation player to install on windows 10: can i install any version ? can i install linux or windows 7 using vmware on windows 10 ? Thank you in advance 37303
  6. VMware Player did not install correctly on Windows 10

VMware Player did not install correctly on Windows 10: After downloading VMware player 2.5.5-328052 yesterday & during the install phase my screen turned blue with a message "something went wrong with your PC & needs to restart" (close wording to that). After restarting VMware player is not listed in Programs & Features in...
  7. Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE

Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE: Hi there If you want to do an inplace upgrade of W8 to W10 in a VMware Virtual Machine UNINSTALL VMWARE TOOLS before you do the upgrade and then re-install them afterwards. Set the ISO image as your CD /DVD drive and simply run the setup from WITHIN the existing Virtual...
  8. BSOD during VMware workstation player installation consistently

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD during VMware workstation player installation consistently: Hi,I get a consistent BSOD during the installation of VMware Workstation Player. I can replicate it very easily. I have gotten 4 BSOD due to this (installation of VMware Workstation Player) while trying to debug/find the cause myself. Attached is the latest/last BSOD DM...
  9. Clean install w10 from w8

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install w10 from w8: Hi guys, I'm stuck at a point where I cant go back nor proceed further, please assist me.. My scenario is i tried clean installation of w10 but as my partition is in GPT format it is not accepting, what I did as a mistake is I formatted the drive having w8, now my pc isnt...
  10. Install Windows 10 as Virtual Machine in VMware Player

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Install Windows 10 as Virtual Machine in VMware Player: How to: Install Windows 10 as Virtual Machine in VMware Player How to Install Windows 10 as Virtual Machine in VMware Player [img] Information VMware Player is a free desktop application that lets you run a virtual machine on a Windows or Linux PC. This tutorial...