Windows 10: VMware-usb storage device not recognized

Discus and support VMware-usb storage device not recognized in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hello, I'm running Windows XP in Workstation Player on a Windows 10 laptop. My USB CD/DVD drive is able to mount in the Player. So is a flash... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Paul Bacon, Dec 8, 2017.

1. VMware-usb storage device not recognized

Hello,

I'm running Windows XP in Workstation Player on a Windows 10 laptop.

My USB CD/DVD drive is able to mount in the Player. So is a flash drive.

My Western Digital ssd (My Passport Ultra) is listed in "Removable devices", but fails to mount, giving this error:

VMware-usb storage device not recognized [​IMG]

In the Virtual Machine settings, the USB controller is using usb 2.0.

The WD ssd is compatible with usb 3.0 and 2.0, and is supported by Windows XP. My desktop computer running Win XP has no problem mounting the drive.

The device manager in virtual Win XP shows it as an "unknown device."

I've read everything I can find on the problem, and tried a number of suggestions from the knowledge base at VMware as well as solutions via google searches.

Perhaps the WD ssd just won't work on the free version of VM Workstation Player (v. 14).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Paul

:)

Paul Bacon, Dec 8, 2017
  2. LCRT Win User

Bricked 830? after downgrade WP10 -> WP8.1‏

you're using a windows VM to recover devices?

LCRT, Dec 8, 2017
  3. KomouPoji Win User
    USB Mass Storage Device not recognized by all applications

Hi Murray,

As per to the description you might need to install software to detect the Garmin Unit, I would suggest
    you to kindly contact the Garmin Customer Support and check if it help.

Refer the link: Official Garmin Support | United States | Support Center

I hope the information is helpful and I you need any other assistance on Windows, we’ll be glad to help you.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Dec 8, 2017
  4. jimbo45 Win User

VMware-usb storage device not recognized

Hi there

Check the USB configuration -- you might have set USB configuration to USB 2 or even earlier -- you probably need to set it to USB 3.

screenshot below this is for vmware workstation but same is true for vmplayer --otherwise edit the .vmx file for the VM.

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 8, 2017
  5. Hi Jim,

Yes, I've tried that and I just tried it again.

With usb 3.0, the WD drive doesn't even show up in "Removable devices."

I read something about Win XP not able to "see" usb 3.0 devices.

I took a snippet of notepad loaded with .vmx settings.

The virtual machine is now set to usb 3.0. This screenshot shows "speed="2". "

Does this tell you anything? Is this where I would edit the .vmx file?

Paul Bacon, Dec 8, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    XP never had USB 3 drivers afaik.

cereberus, Dec 8, 2017
  7. Thanks Cereberus.

As I said, the WD drive uses both 2.0 and 3.0 and it is compatible with Win XP. It's in the documentation. I can mount the drive on my desktop Win XP machine, I just can't get it to mount on the XP virtual machine running within my laptop's Win 10 OS using either usb 2 or usb 3.

The drive does show up in the "removable devices" list using usb 2.0, but will not mount. It does not even show up using usb 3.

Paul Bacon, Dec 8, 2017
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

how about really old --go back to USB 1.1

the other thing you could do is to see if you can source some XP USB drivers --the SP3 (final officlal update) had some USB stuff in it. Install the USB drivers directly on the VM.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 8, 2017
  9. I did install SP 3 using a .cab file to update my copy of XP.

How might I find the drivers from the .cab file?

I think I already tried usb 1.1, but can try again.

In your VM, are you having no usb issues? You're probably running something more recent than Win XP, though.

Paul Bacon, Dec 8, 2017
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @Paul Bacon
    I have a few XP VM's -- I'll load them up tomorrow and see how my USB 3 devices connect.

just going to a pub tonight with some colleagues and going to drink a load of Gluwein (like Hot mulled wine but a bit nicer !!) --it's -3 deg (Celsius) here --no snow but COLD (Wind chill factor) tonight !!!!

Note though I'm running CENTOS 7.2 Linux Host with Vmware workstation 14.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 8, 2017
  11. Have fun Jim! I'm about to start cocktails here.*Tongue

As we speak, here in US, New Hampshire (northeast coast), we're having our first snow fall. Oh boy ....here we go again.

Paul Bacon, Dec 8, 2017
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @Paul Bacon

In your VMWARE click the Upgrade Virtual machine and choose VMware workstation 14
    Now you can connect USB 3 devices -- you'll have to connect via a USB2 port though -although I haven't finished testing USB 3 ports yet -- may be possible to use USB 3 ports connect somehow.

Note also I think on XP you can't use HDD's or partitions > 2TB -- not sure with XP and GPT. No problem though accessing SAMBA (from Linux server) HDD's -- got some RAID arrays on the server with one at 9TB --XP can access it just fine.

I'll test the SSD with a SATA-->USB2 connector and plug it into a USB3 port and see what happens
    will do that later as have some appointments today.

I've got an SSD (250 GB) connected to an XP VM which reads / writes perfectly -- connected using a SATA-->USB3 connector but plugged in to a USB 2 port.

Here's the XP VM - afraid Icelandic XP but the image should be clear enough.

Note I'm running CENTOS 7.2 (Linux) as the HOST but shouldn't make any difference as far as the VM is concerned.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 10, 2017
  13. VMware-usb storage device not recognized

Thank you Jim.

I am already running VM Workstation 14. And I did, in fact, read about 14 being more USB friendly.

Using USB 2.0 ports:
    I only have USB 3.0 ports in this laptop. I do remember reading on the VM forum someone saying something about plugging a USB 2.0 hub into the USB 3.0 port, then plug the storage device into that, which seems to be along the lines of your suggestion.

I'll find one to buy and try that out.

Thanks so much for your testing this on my behalf! I really appreciate it.
    Paul

Paul Bacon, Dec 10, 2017
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there @Paul Bacon

Confirmed - SSD connected via SATA-->USB2 adapter plugged into USB3 port on Host works on the XP VM.
    2GB external USB3 HDD can be seen whether plugged into USB3 port or USB2 port on the host but XP doesn't seem to like the GPT partition

this article

How to access GPT protective hard disk partition on Windows XP?

Since GPT is not permitted on 32-bit version of Windows XP, what we need is to convert GPT to MBR without losing data, but how can we achieve this goal? Generally speaking, we always try to ask built-in Disk Management for help, however, GPT disks can be converted to MBR disks with built-in Disk Management only if all existing partitions are first deleted, with associated loss of data. Therefore, a third-party partition manager is quite needed.

Converted same HDD to MBR (using Partition Wizard so no data lost)

In USB 3 Port --- USB device not recognized --FAIL

in USB 2 Port Works fine (at USB 2 speed) capacity 1.81 TB recorded by Windows XP. --- OK

with "El cheapo" USB 2 4 port hub plugged into USB 3 port device also works fine (in USB 2 speed) but not as GPT
    so for attached USB 3 attached external HDD's to XP you can have a max size of 2 TB. ---OK

I had a little bit of fun testing this on a cold wintry Monday.

So it looks like either use a USB 2 port or something that USB 3 port sees as a USB 2 device --for example a cheap USB 2 hub

If you don't have USB 2 ports in your machine and don't want to buy a USB 2 hub see if there's anything in the BIOS about USB -- operate in Legacy mode or allow legacy mode.) You can get really cheap USB 2 hubs though -- an unpowered 2 port one will only cost around 4 - 6 EUR / USD. Not sure in GBP - changes so fast daily with their "Brexit" stuff.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 10, 2017
  15. Thanks Jim, for ALL your help.

I'm headed out for the day. I'll take a closer look at your post and all its implications later on. *Smile

Paul Bacon, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. VMware-usb storage device not recognized - Similar Threads - VMware usb storage

2. USB storage devices charging, but not recognized when connected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB storage devices charging, but not recognized when connected: Hi, I have a dictaphone / voice recorder that previously worked on my windows 10 machine. It has stopped being recognized by the USB ports; all that happens is it lights up and charges the device but there is no indication of anything being connected. I assumed the device was...
  3. USB storage devices charging, but not recognized when connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB storage devices charging, but not recognized when connected: Hi, I have a dictaphone / voice recorder that previously worked on my windows 10 machine. It has stopped being recognized by the USB ports; all that happens is it lights up and charges the device but there is no indication of anything being connected. I assumed the device was...
  4. USB storage devices charging, but not recognized when connected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. USB Webcam is only recognized as a USB Mass Storage Device

USB Webcam is only recognized as a USB Mass Storage Device: bought an HD Webcam for Vlogging. It has a special webcam feature that was working fine along with another USB webcam. Once I added a usb hub, the computer started recognizing the device as a mass storage device. I believe the webcam display also changed so that it...
  6. USB STORAGE DEVICE

USB STORAGE DEVICE: I've saved all my documents and pictures on my old computer onto a USB memory stick so I could transfer to my new computer, but the memory device isn't showing up when I plug into the new computer....
  7. Usb device not recognized.

Usb device not recognized.: Last week, i bought a SanDisk 3.0 64gb usb flash drive, i formatted it to FAT32 with EaseUS for my wii, it worked, but the next day, the wii couldn't read it and also my pc. I tried to plug it in another pc running windows 10 , and another one running windows 8 , and a third...
  8. USB device not recognized

USB device not recognized: I have a Lenovo Android phone which after it self-upgraded it's software (customized Android UI) does not get recognized when it's plugged into my Lenovo G50 notebook. When plugged in, Windows gives "USB device not recognized" and the phone cannot be accessed. I've tried...
  9. USB device not recognized

USB device not recognized: I have a USB port on my motherboard that never worked. I had the problem with Windows 7 complaining about it, but something I did got Windows 7 to be quiet. Now I have Windows 10. Action Center is popping a steady stream - and I do mean steady - of "USB device not...
  10. USB Storage Devices

USB Storage Devices: I've been using Win10 since the general release. This was an update install on a Win7 laptop. Apart from a few issues (waking from sleep on scheduled tasks, lack of control on updates) I have a problem with external devices. If I use several USB flash drives/harddrive I'm...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why i havent see usb mass stoage in usb list win 10

2. vmware workstation does not detect usb in bios mode

3. vmware workstation ubuntu usb disk does not show up

4. mass storage dont mount in vmware workstation,
  5. vware player usd not recognized