Windows 10: VMware Workstation Re: Just How Contained is a Virtual Machine

Discus and support VMware Workstation Re: Just How Contained is a Virtual Machine in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I guess I should know this but I don't. If I create a VM with say win version 1703 or 1709 or even DL the "latest and greatest" 1803 and let the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by phaedruspress, Jun 14, 2018.

1. VMware Workstation Re: Just How Contained is a Virtual Machine

I guess I should know this but I don't. If I create a VM with say win version 1703 or 1709 or even DL the "latest and greatest" 1803 and let the updates fly will anything installed to that VM be written to the BIOS "outside" of the VM? Didn't either the Spectre or Meltdown patch write some Microcode to the BIOS? The machine is a Lenovo. What if I let the Lenovo update app run willy nilly. I think I know that they have also released some kind of BIOS update. So bottom line if I do all that updating MS and Lenovo inside of the OS on the VM will anything get written to the BIOS outside of the VM or does anything and everything downloaded and updated contained inside the VM stay inside of the VM. TIA.

:)

phaedruspress, Jun 14, 2018
  2. Kari Win User

vmware workstation 12 out now - built for W10

Check the facts before posting. Of course you can create virtual machines in / with VMware Player, or as the free product is today know VMware Workstation Player.

VMware KB: Creating a new virtual machine in VMware Player

From VMware Workstation Player FAQs: Create and run virtual machines | United States

3. Naldo822 Win User
    Will Windows 10 support VMware Workstation version 7.1.6?

Original Title:

Upgrade to Windows 10

Will Windows 10 support VMware Workstation version 7.1.6? I have several virtual machines running XP.

Naldo822, Jun 14, 2018
  4. VMware Workstation Re: Just How Contained is a Virtual Machine

BlueScreen when shutting down a VMWare Workstation OS

Consistently receiving a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION bluescreen when shutting down a vmware workstation OS (in this case a windows 7 OS).

Was running on VMWare workstation 10, upgraded to 11 but am still experiencing this behaviour.

Side effect of this is that the virtual machine will get destroyed and is not rebootable on a restart, I have to revert to a complete backup of the virtual machine.

Attached the dump file generated by the tool?

Any suggestions?

duaneedwards, Jun 14, 2018
Thema:

VMware Workstation Re: Just How Contained is a Virtual Machine

1. VMware Workstation Re: Just How Contained is a Virtual Machine - Similar Threads - VMware Workstation Contained

2. KB5014738 causing issues to VMware virtual machines

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5014738 causing issues to VMware virtual machines: Hello Folks,We faced an issue after installing patch KB5014738 on windows 2012 R2 servers. These are VMs on vmware vsphere. After installing the patch the remote services of machine went down and we could not RDP into the machine or access any share. The only fix was to login...
  3. How to activate windows in vmware virtual machine?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to activate windows in vmware virtual machine?: Because I don't have windows activation key of my main physical system as it is digitally licenced. I'm using windows 10 home and 21H1 version on my main pc. And i'm testing windows 11 developer preview version on vmware on same system. But windows 11 is not activating even...
  4. How to transfer Win10 digital license from one VMWare Workstation 14 Virtual Machine to...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to transfer Win10 digital license from one VMWare Workstation 14 Virtual Machine to...: In May 6th, I bought a Win10 digital license from Microsoft Store for a virtual machine created in VMWare Workstation14. The virtual machine is Win 10 system and is activated by the license using with my Microsoft Account. Now I have to run the virtual machine in a different...
  5. VMware Workstation and Hyper-V on same machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMware Workstation and Hyper-V on same machine: I know it's been out in beta a while, but the new Version of VMware workstation (15.5.5) is now out which can be installed on a system with Hyper-V active. This is great if you need to do testing with both Hypervisors. Just tried it and it works like a charm. Note that this...
  6. how to configue vmware workstation 15 to boot a virtual machine from a bootable usb drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to configue vmware workstation 15 to boot a virtual machine from a bootable usb drive: I want to try a lot of tutorials as given here windows tutorials tutorial index So I need to prepare a lot of live USB sticks or USB sticks in the formats in which tutorials mention. Most of these tutorials that I want to try are windows installation media creation, creating...
  7. How to use dual monitor with VMware virtual machine

in Windows 10 News
    How to use dual monitor with VMware virtual machine: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]VMware does not allow you to use more one monitor for any guest operating system. However, you can bypass this default setting and use dual monitor with VMware virtual machine. Irrespective of which OS you have installed in the virtual [...] This post How to...
  8. Windows Virtual Machine (Hyper-V) vs. VMware Virtual Machine

Windows Virtual Machine (Hyper-V) vs. VMware Virtual Machine: I have used VMware in the past with limited success though I suspect the hardware limitations had something to do with it. The leaning curve was modest if not at times tedious to confusing at times and I am not particularly looking forward to that again. What can you all tell...
  9. How Contained is a Virtual Machine

How Contained is a Virtual Machine: I guess I should know this but I don't. If I create a VM with say win version 1703 or 1709 or even DL the "latest and greatest" 1803 and let the updates fly will anything installed to that VM be written to the BIOS "outside" of the VM? Didn't either the Spectre or Meltdown...
  10. Vmware Wont Open a Virtual machine

Vmware Wont Open a Virtual machine: I have been trying to open a virtual machine but nothing happens. I did have Bitdefender installed but I've removed that (you can't add exclusions in the free version it seems), So I'm at a loss as to what is causing this. The only security I have running at the moment...