Windows 10: VPN issues: extra clicks to disconnect + two minor questions

Discus and support VPN issues: extra clicks to disconnect + two minor questions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; 1# When I click on the 'network' icon in the system tray it list possible connections (like a VPN), but these seem broken. I cant click on them or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Chris2340673, May 15, 2018.

1. VPN issues: extra clicks to disconnect + two minor questions

1# When I click on the 'network' icon in the system tray it list possible connections (like a VPN), but these seem broken. I cant click on them or right click on them. Nothing happens (left click will bring up the standard VPN page but not connect or as me to connect). Are they just for display and all bring you to 100% the same spot?

2# When I am connected to a VPN and bring up the settings window (with VPN clicked) I am unable to disconnect from the VPN. I *always* need to bring that page up once, close it, and bring it up again, otherwise I cannot click on the VPN I am connected to to get the sub-options (which include disconnect).

3# Is it possible to change windows in an obvious way when im connected to ANY VPN? For example if im connected to a VPN id love it if my color scheme could change (example: taskbar turned orange). I often find myself forgetting im connected to a VPN and wasting bandwidth.

:)

Chris2340673, May 15, 2018

2. VPN disconnects after initiating an application for intranet

Hi PetN,

The issue is when the connection manager sees the dotted IP address it "thinks" you want to be on the internet so it disconnects the vpn connection. To get around this you will need to add all the dotted ip's or FQDN's to the vpn exception list.
    Using netbios names will keep the vpn connection active because the connection manager associates netbios names with corp/vpn sessions. There was a time when entering a netbios name inside a connectin manager aware application (IE Mobile, Mobile Outlook,
    WMP, etc.) would automatically launch the vpn connection but that has been broken for some time now. If you want all traffic to traverse the tunnel then you can try using *.* as the exception address but I've still had some issues with connection manager
    killing my connection. Using the FQDN of the domain has worked well for me (*.somedomain.whatever)

MVP-Mobile Devices

Eric Hicks, May 16, 2018
  3. Windows 10: How to Show VPN on Wi-Fi list (like Win 8 & 8.1)

In Windows 8.0 and 8.1, VPN connections showed up when you clicked the Wi-Fi connection icon

VPN issues: extra clicks to disconnect + two minor questions [​IMG]
    on the task bar and offered connect/disconnect directly from that context menu (A total of 3 clicks.)

In Windows 10, multiple steps are required to first access your existing VPN connections (5 clicks):

• click the
      VPN issues: extra clicks to disconnect + two minor questions [​IMG]
      icon
    • click Network Settings
    • click VPN
    • click your connection
    • click Connect.
    This seems to add it to the menu but has to be repeated for each connection. Now, once it's there, connecting/disconnecting is still a multi-step process vs. the 2 steps it took in previous versions:

• click the Wi-Fi icon
    • click the VPN connection (Network Center launches)
    • click the VPN connection again, this time in the Network Center
    • click Connect or Disconnect
    Is it possible to configure Windows 10 in such a way as to minimize these steps?

Tammy Taz Diaz, May 16, 2018
Thema:

VPN issues: extra clicks to disconnect + two minor questions

1. VPN issues: extra clicks to disconnect + two minor questions - Similar Threads - VPN issues extra

2. VPN disconnects

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VPN disconnects: I,ve recently changed my password and ever since then my VPN keeps disconnecting. I reconnect and then after 2-3 tries it locks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vpn-disconnects/5d0c9b46-c078-4fbb-ab53-635ea602ff4e
  3. VPN disconnects

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VPN disconnects: I,ve recently changed my password and ever since then my VPN keeps disconnecting. I reconnect and then after 2-3 tries it locks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vpn-disconnects/5d0c9b46-c078-4fbb-ab53-635ea602ff4e
  4. VPN disconnects

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. VPN disconnects

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VPN disconnects: hi, I am having an issue with FortiClient VPN on a HP windows laptop. once the VPN is connected it has a survival rate of 3-10 minutes. then it disconnects and the internet drops momentarily. Once internet is connected back to laptop VPN is able to connected then it again...
  6. VPN disconnects

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VPN disconnects: hi, I am having an issue with FortiClient VPN on a HP windows laptop. once the VPN is connected it has a survival rate of 3-10 minutes. then it disconnects and the internet drops momentarily. Once internet is connected back to laptop VPN is able to connected then it again...
  7. VPN disconnects

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. VPN disconnects

VPN disconnects: Hey How to prevent hourly disconnects of built in vpn? Could this problem be related to the server issues too? Im using freevpnbook address.[IMG] Thanks in advance Mark https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vpn-disconnects/fd2ce66c-55b7-4b02-a27f-b03bf426bb52
  9. Two Timestamp issues/questions

Two Timestamp issues/questions: I'm reconfiguring my wife's laptop. File History automatically adds a timestamp to every folder that is unzipped, and adds a Timestamp code to every file. How do I turn off/disable Windows from automatically adding a timestamp? Yes..I've searched for an answer and have...
  10. Minor log on issue

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Minor log on issue: I'm using Windows 10 on a MacBook Air via Parallels. Right from the get-go, when Win10 became available, I've had a minor logon issue. When I get to the bootup window asking for my password pin, it doesn't work. Instead, I get the following message... User name or...