Windows 10: Vpn leak !!!warning!!!

Discus and support Vpn leak !!!warning!!! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 uses a method of resolving DNS requests that completely ignores the fact that you are connected to a VPN and exposes you true IP address to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mikele, Dec 13, 2015.

1. mikele Win User

Vpn leak !!!warning!!!

Windows 10 uses a method of resolving DNS requests that completely ignores the fact that you are connected to a VPN and exposes you true IP address to every web site you visit.

If you are using VPN and think you are anonymous try these sites and find out if you really are.
    DNS leak test
    Web-based DNS Randomness Test | DNS-OARC
    IP/DNS Detect

The only method that I found that actually worked using open VPN was the fix-dns-leak-32.dll or fix-dns-leak-64-dll
    https://help.tigervpn.com/support/so...penvpn-win-10-

FOR PPTP do this :

gpedit.msc
    Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\DNS Client\ and enable the key
    DisableSmartNameResolution

and for PPTP AND OPENVPN:

1. Go to Start
    2. Click Settings
    3. Click Network and Internet
    4. Click Change Adapter Options
    5. Choose your normal internet connection (Ethernet/Wifi). DO NOT make these changes to the TAP connection
    6. Right click and press Properties
    7. Under the Networking tab, select the TCP/IP v4 and then click Properties
    8. Change "Obtain DNS server address automatically" to "Use the following DNS server address"
    9. Enter 209.222.18.222 for the Preferred DNS server
    10. Enter 209.222.18.218 for the Alternate DNS server
    11. Press OK

:)

mikele, Dec 13, 2015
  2. Shenan Stanley, Dec 13, 2015
  3. Win 10: DNS resolution of remote network via VPN connection not working

I spun up a fresh install of Windows 10 in a VM to test on after seeing this issue on every physical Win10 machine I have. I tested all of the answers in this thread and none of them worked. I discovered that the solution is to combine the answers posted
    by "Keenans" and "ECC-Dan".

Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings > Right click your Ethernet or Wifi adapter > Properties > double click IPv4 > Advanced > Uncheck Automatic Metric > Enter 15 for interface metric > OK > OK.

On that same Properties page, double click IPv6 > Advanced > Uncheck Automatic Metric > Enter 15 for interface metric > OK > OK.

Only after changing both of those settings is the issue resolved. I tested changing either one back and it breaks again. After changing both I ran nslookup from command line and it returned the DNS server on the remote network where the VPN is connected
    to, where as otherwise it would return the local DNS server. I then used Wireshark capturing on the Ethernet interface, did some pings to random websites, and verified that there were no DNS packets captured. This proves that after making the changes, DNS
    queries are being sent ONLY over the VPN connection, and not simultaneously over all connections (which is known as the Win10 DNS leak). So this is also part of the solution for the Win10 DNS leak:

WARNING! Windows 10 VPN Users at Big Risk of DNS Leak - BestVPN.com

Beware of Windows 10 DNS resolver and DNS Leaks – ValdikSS – Medium

Note that fix the DNS leak, you first need to do the steps above. Then you need to set two registry values. The linked articles only list one, which by itself, does not fix the issue in newer builds of Win10. Set these registry values:

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\DNSClient

Value: DisableSmartNameResolution

Data: 1

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters

Value: DisableParallelAandAAAA

Data: 1

Only after doing all of that, will your DNS client behavior be back to the way it was in Win7. You have to wonder how this got through QA at Microsoft.

LikeARock47, Dec 13, 2015
Thema:

Vpn leak !!!warning!!!

1. Vpn leak !!!warning!!! - Similar Threads - Vpn leak warning

2. Memory Leak

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Memory Leak: Hello,I have 2 different values of RAM reflected in 2 tabs of the task managerbut the same percentage, I want to know why, and if I need to do something to fix it.So from the two screenshots I took you can clearly see that my real usage of memory is 4795.2 MB, but the memory...
  3. Memory Leak

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Memory Leak: Hello,I have 2 different values of RAM reflected in 2 tabs of the task managerbut the same percentage, I want to know why, and if I need to do something to fix it.So from the two screenshots I took you can clearly see that my real usage of memory is 4795.2 MB, but the memory...
  4. Memory leak?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Memory leak?: Hello. As the title states, my pc idles at around 2gb (mostly 1,8-1,9gb). Tried resetting, updating windows, drivers , nothing helps. What could be the issue? Edit1: Opening discord adds another 1 GB. Opening league of legends adds 2 GBs. (Game runs on very low capped on 60...
  5. Memory leak

Memory leak: Since long, i don't know long... i have been having high memory usage on my computer, from version 1909 to 2004. I can't see any process with high usage on Task Manager, so I searched and searched for the solution and tried the basic solution, Disable Superfetch (SysMain),...
  6. Hotspot Shield VPN installed without warning

Hotspot Shield VPN installed without warning: Windows 10 just notified me that 'Hotspot Shield Free VPN' finished installing after booting up my machine. I work in a technical, computer-related field, so I'm a fairly competent pc user. I'm not sure if something I have on my machine could have installed? I'm on a fairly...
  7. is this memory leak?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    is this memory leak?: [ATTACH] Please see my paged pool and non paged pool. This is the screenshot after I restarted my laptop and directly go to the task manager to see memory. and i found this. Is this possible? And then I download media creation from Microsoft and reinstall the window but...
  8. Windows 10 under vpn leak isp dns

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 under vpn leak isp dns: The problem with Windows 10 under VPN at check on the websites dnsleaktest or other I see IP VPN of service but DNS which has to be VPN of service I see DNS of the provider. I tried 3 different provider, 3 different VPN of service and all the same problem I see the DNS. A...
  9. Preferrence of DNS servers from VPN issue (DNS Leak)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Preferrence of DNS servers from VPN issue (DNS Leak): Hello, when I connect to VPN, I receive DNS servers, but windows primarily uses DNS servers configured on my LAN connection (checked with nslookup). This is problem when I am accessing same hostname, which has internal IP in VPN. I tried to change network adapters order...
  10. 10123 Leak

in Windows 10 Support
    10123 Leak: Build 10123 leaked at Neowin................. any installs yet *really 6140