Windows 10: VPN problems as sets connection as public

Discus and support VPN problems as sets connection as public in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Trying to set up my windows 10 pro laptops to connect to work via PPTP as have the IP address and my log in this works on windows 8.1 and windows 7 and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BryantI, Aug 18, 2015.

1. BryantI Win User

VPN problems as sets connection as public

Trying to set up my windows 10 pro laptops to connect to work via PPTP as have the IP address and my log in this works on windows 8.1 and windows 7 and my iPad. On the laptops one is on the works domina the other is not as my home machine, the VPN will connect but to start with could get through to the drives now since doing the auto updates I can connect but it is set as a public network! Hence no access to the drives.

i have changed the network in regedit but it just re sets it back?

any ideas as I work in a home office most of the time and need access to the works server?

i get the same on both machines but as soon as I turn a old windows 7 machine on all works fine so a windows 10 issues.

Happy to to try any ideas.

:)

BryantI, Aug 18, 2015
  2. Rob145 Win User

VPN connection problems. Same set up as before but not working

I just purchased a new Asus Zenbook with windows 10 pro. My VPN set up is exactly the same as my old laptop, and it's not connecting through VPN for some reason. There is something different that I'm not seeing obviously. But what can it be? Tks

Rob145, Aug 18, 2015
  3. VPN connection problems. Same set up as before but not working

It would probably help to know which VPN. There have been problems reported about a few specific ones.

Otherwise, as much as I despise their lack of completeness, I would try a troubleshooter for clues. The best clues are given when you open the .etl file and read them. Unfortunately they are given in doublebyte binary in Notepad but you can use SysInternals
    strings.exe program to help with that. NetMon 3.4 + a parser for Windows events is another alternative.

Coincidentally, today in another incident, I noticed that there are some relevant netsh trace scenarios. I haven't tried them yet myself, so I don't know how useful they would be. Probably though if you have two otherwise identical systems, one which
    can connect and one which can't, they would be really helpful at least for comparison purposes, even if you didn't know what either trace was really saying.

PS>netsh trace show scenarios

Available scenarios (18):

-------------------------------------------------------------------

AddressAcquisition : Troubleshoot address acquisition-related issues

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Aug 18, 2015
Thema:

VPN problems as sets connection as public

1. VPN problems as sets connection as public - Similar Threads - VPN problems sets

2. Problem with connecting to VPN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with connecting to VPN: Hello, I have a problem with connecting to VPN, it gives the following error: the remote connection could not be established due to a failure of the used VPN tunnels. The VPN server may be unavailable. If this connection attempts to use an l2tp or ipsec tunnel, the security...
  3. Problem with connecting to VPN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with connecting to VPN: Hello, I have a problem with connecting to VPN, it gives the following error: the remote connection could not be established due to a failure of the used VPN tunnels. The VPN server may be unavailable. If this connection attempts to use an l2tp or ipsec tunnel, the security...
  4. Problems with VPN connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with VPN connection: Hello. I encountered this problem: after a sudden power outage, my VPN stopped connecting. The connection is established, but after a few seconds, constant reconnection begins. I have already done everything I could, reinstalled the VPN, reset the network settings with three...
  5. Problems with VPN connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with VPN connection: Hello. I encountered this problem: after a sudden power outage, my VPN stopped connecting. The connection is established, but after a few seconds, constant reconnection begins. I have already done everything I could, reinstalled the VPN, reset the network settings with three...
  6. Problem with the VPN connection on Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with the VPN connection on Windows: Hello there,I'm in need of some help with this...When I have a normal internet connection, I have no issue accessing any website. When I connect to a VPN Hotspot Shield, however, it appears that the site is unavailable. But the weird thing is that when I type something into...
  7. Problem with the VPN connection on Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with the VPN connection on Windows: Hello there,I'm in need of some help with this...When I have a normal internet connection, I have no issue accessing any website. When I connect to a VPN Hotspot Shield, however, it appears that the site is unavailable. But the weird thing is that when I type something into...
  8. Problem with Connecting to a VPN

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with Connecting to a VPN: I have a couple of VPN connections that work fine. But, one specific connection gives me the following error: "It was not possible to verify the identity of the server". Using my Android phone with the same exact login credentials, I am able to connect to the VPN without any...
  9. Problems with download and VPN connection

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problems with download and VPN connection: Hi.Today I discovered weird thing, which never occurred before.2-3 weeks before everything was fine. So I'm trying to download patch for a game from https://pso2.acf.me.uk/Manual/ . But for some reason, download starts and ends after 2.4-2.8mb. On my phone, in the same...
  10. connecting to home wifi but set as public??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    connecting to home wifi but set as public??: So i've connect to my home wifi and for whatever reason windows 10 didnt ask me like 7 if its home, work or public its just automatically put my home wifi as public any way to change this or a setting that i am missing. 11511