Windows 10: W-Explorer doesn't open removable drive in new window.

Discus and support W-Explorer doesn't open removable drive in new window. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I insert a thumb drive in my notebook, W-E displays it in the current window, displacing the folder I was viewing (from which I want to transfer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WLackey, Feb 20, 2018.

1. WLackey Win User

W-Explorer doesn't open removable drive in new window.

When I insert a thumb drive in my notebook, W-E displays it in the current window, displacing the folder I was viewing (from which I want to transfer files to/from the thumb drive; I have to manually open the drive in a new window--a real pain).
    On my desktop a removable drive always opens in a new window.
    Selecting 'View' / 'Options' / 'Folder and search options' / 'Open each folder in its own window' does not remedy this.
    What must I do to get removable drives to open in a new window?
    Thanks,
    WML

:)

WLackey, Feb 20, 2018
  2. rvdude Win User

Windows Explorer shutting down on its own.

I removed the USB Flash drive by unplugging it.

Nope. Any flash drive will open a new Windows Explorer window.

This is not a windows problem...it's doing what it's supposed to do, except I don't like it.

When you plug the flash drive in, Windows automatically starts Windows Explorer. Unplug the flash drive and Windows closes that same Windows Explorer window. Problem is when I close the window the flash drive opened when it was plugged in and view its contents
    in another Windows Explorer window I already have open, removing the flash drive closes down that Windows Explorer window as well, and I don't want it to shut down.

rvdude, Feb 20, 2018
  3. WylECyote Win User
    Autoplay is set on to open folder, but nothing happens when a CD is inserted

As many others have posted, there is something very wrong with autoplay. We all need it fixed.

It the good-ol-days I could insert a (data) CD and an Explorer window appeared and I could access the files. Eject the CD and the window closed.

Now with WinX that doesn't happen.

I have Autoplay set ON and 'Open folder to view files (File Explorer)' selected for both Removable drive and Memory card.

What I have noticed:

If File explorer isn't running - after inserting a CD, start file explorer. The explorer window opens showing the disc volumes, but nothing else happens. Then scroll the explorer window so that the CD drive is visible and it burst into life, first updating
    the icon and then opening a new window showing the CD content.

If File explorer is running when I insert a CD, I have to make a new window - right click 'This PC' and select 'Open in new window'. Then this new window behaves as above. I still have to scroll so the CD drive is visible.

It has to be a new window opened after the CD is inserted.

At no time do the Explorer windows automatically close when the CD is ejected.

I should not have to go through all this palava to get Windows to do what it should be doing automatically. I hope this enables someone to work out what is going wrong and to fix it.

WylECyote, Feb 20, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Feb 20, 2018
  5. WLackey Win User
    Yes, AutoPlay is set, and windows does display the files, just does it by taking over the existing Explorer window rather than opening a new window.

WLackey, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. W-Explorer doesn't open removable drive in new window. - Similar Threads - Explorer doesn't open

2. Explorer opening new windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer opening new windows: I have the latest version of Windows 11 installed and I am finding that Explorer is behaving in an odd way. When I try to open a drive or folder, it opens in a new instance of Explorer. I have tried to install a repair of Windows and re-installed Windows twice thinking that...
  3. Explorer opening new windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer opening new windows: I have the latest version of Windows 11 installed and I am finding that Explorer is behaving in an odd way. When I try to open a drive or folder, it opens in a new instance of Explorer. I have tried to install a repair of Windows and re-installed Windows twice thinking that...
  4. File Explorer doesn't open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer doesn't open: So well... My brother was using my pc and when he returned to me I was not able to open file explorer, well I was but I got an error inserted belowAnd yes, I get this error when I open File Explorer from the "Taskbar". Now yes, I can open any folder on the desktop and it...
  5. Windows Explorer doesn't open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer doesn't open: Hi, I have an issue with my explorer.exe, on my taskbar it shows like it's working, when I switch betwen apps, it shows it, but at any momment, i can see the explorer windows. On task manager, explorer looks open, but no way to make it appear.I have already done a "Dism...
  6. Windows Explorer doesn't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer doesn't open: Hi, I have an issue with my explorer.exe, on my taskbar it shows like it's working, when I switch betwen apps, it shows it, but at any momment, i can see the explorer windows. On task manager, explorer looks open, but no way to make it appear.I have already done a "Dism...
  7. Windows Explorer doesn't open

8. win+w doesn't work and causes Windows Explorer to restart.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    win+w doesn't work and causes Windows Explorer to restart.: when i try to press winkey+w my laptop gets some kind of a lags for a moment and then the Windows Explorer process gets restarted. anyone is familiar with this problem? submitted by /u/ADHD_Learning [link] [comments]...
  9. In-built hard drive W not opening

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    In-built hard drive W not opening: Hello, I cannot open my in-built internal memory drive. It is loading endlessly, then it says "not responding". This started after I connected my external hard disc to check something. My internal memory is divided into 2: W and Y. I can easily open the Y but the W is not...
  10. Cannot open a new Folder in windows explorer - W 10

Cannot open a new Folder in windows explorer - W 10: I cannot create a "New Folder" in Windows Desktop. This is the error report. I am finding it has spread to failure to open new folders in explorer as well. The screen freezes. All W 10 updates are loaded in. Description The program explorer.exe version 10.0.17763.348...