Windows 10: W10 1024 - failure to update to latest version

Discus and support W10 1024 - failure to update to latest version in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I have tried everything I can think of. After spending ALL day trying again to use every means possible I still cannot update from 1024 version.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by alanrcooke, Jul 18, 2017.

1. W10 1024 - failure to update to latest version

Hi,

I have tried everything I can think of. After spending ALL day trying again to use every means possible I still cannot update from 1024 version. Here is a copy of todays DISM attempt.

Windows PowerShellCopyright (C) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.PS C:\windows\system32> dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealthDeployment Image Servicing and Management toolVersion: 10.0.10240.16384Image Version: 10.0.10240.16384[==========================100.0%==========================]Error: 0x800f081fThe source files could not be found.Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see MSN.com - Hotmail, Outlook, Skype, Bing, Latest News, Photos Videos DISM log file can be found at C:\windows\Logs\DISM\dism.logPS C:\windows\system32> DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:G:\sources\install.wim:1 /LimitAccessDeployment Image Servicing and Management toolVersion: 10.0.10240.16384Image Version: 10.0.10240.16384[==========================100.0%==========================]Error: 0x800f081fThe source files could not be found.Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see MSN.com - Hotmail, Outlook, Skype, Bing, Latest News, Photos Videos DISM log file can be found at C:\windows\Logs\DISM\dism.logPS C:\windows\system32>

This is the path as per copying my Windows Explorer path to the source to confirm I have not made a mistake.

W10 1024 - failure to update to latest version [​IMG]

In case the image is too small it's G:\Source

G is a Boot USB created using Media Creation Tool and Rufus. It works as a boot.

ALL attempts at updating ALWAYS crashes at 40% and then restores previous version.

I could cleaninstall but I suspect that this will not solve my problem.. Besides which I would prefer not to lost all my programs etc.

The drive is a SSD which I cloned from the original HD which was upgraded from W7 to W10 (same issues on the HD as well)

I have attached DISM.log but for some reason CBS.log wont upload.

Thanks in advance

Alan

:)

alanrcooke, Jul 18, 2017

2. Repeated failure to update to latest version of Windows (from

After two weeks of trying EVERYTHING , you have to upgrade first to 1703 build of windows 10 and then to this..So first download the iso of windows of the 1703 ..run it...DONT update it ..install it on top as an
    upgrade and then upgrade to the latest..Then its all working... you can get it here Standard • Windows ISO

I downloaded the diskimage then unrar it and ran it, did the same for the latest 1709 hope this helps

DR

ur12-ithink, Jul 18, 2017
  3. Repeated failure to update to latest version of Windows (from

Every day my system prompts me to update the Windows 10 Version 1607 but the update inevitably fails and my computer requires a manual power shutdown to reboot. After the reboot the system restores to the previous version of Windows (10.0.14393) and the
    whole process starts all over.

I've attempted to troubleshoot the problem. I've run DISM and SFC and no problems have reported. I've also run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. After attempting these I still have the same issue.

Here's the info on my computer:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name BACKUP

System Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.

System Model CM6870

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU SKU

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0708, 12/25/2012

SMBIOS Version 2.7

Embedded Controller Version 255.255

BIOS Mode UEFI

BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.

BaseBoard Model Not Available

BaseBoard Name Base Board

Platform Role Desktop

Secure Boot State Off

PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.14393.2007"

Time Zone US Mountain Standard Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB

Available Physical Memory 13.4 GB

Total Virtual Memory 20.7 GB

Available Virtual Memory 18.2 GB

Page File Space 4.75 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No

Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Anyone have any ideas of what I should try next? A brand new install is problematic for me, I'm not sure I have a backup copy of all the software I have on this PC.

Andy Sticks, Jul 18, 2017
  4. Superfly Win User

W10 1024 - failure to update to latest version

FWIW... I had similar issues trying to upgrade 1511, on a particular notebook, from a mounted iso due to dism/sfc errors - the upgrade assistant and upgrade from within MCT worked, keeping everything (they seems to bypass those checks that setup does from the iso )

Superfly, Jul 18, 2017
  5. Thanks for this.

I have tried the MCT method as you suggest. From memory I think one is offered two options. Upgrade or create USB. I have attempted both. Upgrade always results in crashing at 40% with a restore back to 1024.

My system has just updated (standard W10 update routine) once more and again 'cannot install'.

Refer below:

That list dates back to the 7th of July.

Driving me crazy. I have even tried manually installing the updates where I have found them on the interweb.

Cheers

Alan

alanrcooke, Jul 18, 2017
  6. Update:

I have just got back from running MCT using Creators upgrade.

This is the result which has been the issue from way back when first upgrading to W10.

This comes up after the install process report a 'component' issue.

Would it help someone 'tech savvy' on here if I sent a 'log' file. If so could you advise which log file is required.

By the way I have no dodgy drivers, odd things plugged into my USB ports other than a mouse dongle and TPLink for WiFi. I do however have replaced my CD drive with a caddy which has a hard drive in it.

I really dont know what else I can tell you.

TIA

Alan

alanrcooke, Jul 18, 2017
  7. AddRAM Win User
    Save an image and do a clean install.

AddRAM, Jul 19, 2017
  8. W10 1024 - failure to update to latest version

Thanks. Unless I'm mistaken this would require reinstalling all of my applications after a clean install correct. The purpose of the 'image' is primarily as a backup if this go wrong.

I am assuming that one cannot re-install the 'image' post a clean install.

If not could you advise how I go about restoring everything from the 'image' back into the clean install.

Kind regards

PS. A clean install will be a LAST resort. In fact I may just stay with 1024 if this is required.

alanrcooke, Jul 19, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, you can use a Laplink or maybe an Easeus product to 'move' your programs from your image to a new PC or new OS installation. It is a one-off license cost.

Taking the other approach: here are some hints on finding out what happened if you want to try to sort out your upgrade problem:
    When upgrading:
    - disable your AV, disconnect any unnecessary peripherals; also see 'Here's How' in the tutorial below.

What went wrong? See:
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

- & see the yellow Tips section

Then see
    How to Troubleshoot common Setup and Stop Errors during Windows - Microsoft Community

Please also post a screenshot of your partitions: Minitool Partition Wizard is good for this - please make sure all text in columns is fully displayed.

Thanks.

Some specific cases reported:
    Windows 10 Upgrade Failure - 0xC1900101 - 0x30018 Solved - Windows 10 Forums
    0xC1900101 - 0x30018 the installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase - Microsoft Community
    How to Fix: Windows 10 Upgrade Sysprep Operation / Boot Phase Errors | www.infopackets.com

dalchina, Jul 19, 2017
  10. Here is a screen shot using PM - I have a full version.

Could you explain further how the 'move'. "Hi, you can use a Laplink or maybe an Easeus product to 'move' your programs from your image to a new PC or new OS installation. It is a one-off license cost." works. My understanding is that simply moving an application from one HD to another wont work because the registry will not be populated with the required entries. I am assuming that 'moving' is not the same as installing. My primary apps are not so much an issue (PS and Office for example) as I own them on subscription. Although my concern is reactivating on what to PS would be an extra PC for example.

Creating an image is not an issue for me as I have done that before and have the 'caddy' drive as well as another external for that.

By the way. The recovery (Dell) partition is defunct. Somehow this got messed up when I cloned from the old HD to SSD.

And yes, the old HD had the same updating issues from 1024. It's not the SSD clone that started the issues.

Thanks for the links. Now to do some reading W10 1024 - failure to update to latest version :)

Alan

alanrcooke, Jul 19, 2017
  11. Oh....I should mention that I have tried updating with no AV etc. I use Defender and Malwarebytes. I disabled both a few times when attempting updates. In addition I tried in 'Safe Mode' as well.

I had Microsoft online (remotely) trying to solve this for me for an entire morning. On the first attempt they got nowhere, on the second they left me with BSOD which I finally sorted out.

alanrcooke, Jul 19, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Hi, if you read up on Laplink PCMover - go to the site and read up on the product- you will discover more.
    I used their Image Assistant together with a disk image to move/transfer/install - whatever you want to call it- over 300 programs with some 96% success.

That includes start menu entries, working folders, registry and in many cases the keys. I.e. functional programs.

It works. And configures a lot else, so you end up after the whole process with something very similar to your previous build.

dalchina, Jul 19, 2017
  13. W10 1024 - failure to update to latest version

That sounds brilliant!! Thank you. So to clarify I create an 'image' of current setup. Then cleaninstall on my SSD (current) and once done use PCMover to transfer everything over to the new cleaninstall.

If so.....sound like a plan!!

Cheers

alanrcooke, Jul 19, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    No, Image Assistant (at least that's what it was- may have changed now- the cheaper one that uses the disk image. PC Mover requires you to have access to your new, then old, then new PC. Using the disk image is cheaper and easier.

Easeus Transpro offers the same (middle option when you scroll down)
    Free PC transfer/migration software - EaseUS Todo PCTrans Free
    - but I've used Laplink several times- been around much longer.

I think your partition layout represents legacy BIOS.

I note there is no unallocated space. I recommend you try upgrading after creating at least 500Mb unallocated space.

dalchina, Jul 19, 2017
  15. Hmmmm. Methinks Laplink Pro is the way to go. I assume the network cable is a standard 'crossover' CAT6 which I can make up.

alanrcooke, Jul 19, 2017
Thema:

W10 1024 - failure to update to latest version

1. W10 1024 - failure to update to latest version - Similar Threads - W10 1024 failure

2. W10 version 21H1/ W10 update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    W10 version 21H1/ W10 update: Hello, after last MS update. Have new MS updates. Have new manufacturer updates/drivers/+chips. Has clean install. Now unable to wake up after ‘sleep’, even tho’ power switch blinking= When I press return &/or wiggle mouse, as hve always done; instead of screen...
  3. W10 version 21H1/ W10 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 version 21H1/ W10 update: Hello, after last MS update. Have new MS updates. Have new manufacturer updates/drivers/+chips. Has clean install. Now unable to wake up after ‘sleep’, even tho’ power switch blinking= When I press return &/or wiggle mouse, as hve always done; instead of screen...
  4. W10 version 21H1/ W10 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Update version failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update version failure: Way behind with my Win10 version , on 1703? or something, tried upgrading 4 or5 times as prompted & seems aok until last bit when it says "this pc cannot run win10"it is & "you cannot install windows on a usb flashdrive using setup. Error code Oxc1900201". I am not using a...
  6. Latest Update W10 Storage

in Windows 10 Customization
    Latest Update W10 Storage: For days now, I've been trying to purge 1.67 GB of Windows Update Cleanup files that keep showing up in my Temporay Files when I go to remove them. The system acts like it's going to purge them, but goes back to the Remove Files box and the 1.67 GB are still there. Is there...
  7. Not Updating to Latest Version

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Not Updating to Latest Version: Hi. My laptop has been stuck at "Downloading 0%" for the KB4522355 (OS Build 18362.449) update all week now (I now have the previous version I think it was 18362.418). Is there a way to force the update or to make it restart the attempt to update again? 143748
  8. Not getting the latest 1809 version for W10 Pro

Not getting the latest 1809 version for W10 Pro: Hey, community! I got a Surface Pro 4 which since the month of May runs 1803 version. it's now already December and I'm yet to receive the latest 1809 version although I usually check for updates every day or two. Does someone have a solution? Thx guys!...
  9. W10 update on tablet failure

W10 update on tablet failure: I have a small tablet which came with W10 pre-installed, and I have updated to the latest versions of W10 as they became available. The latest update in Nov 2018 has left me with a useless tablet and no way of access anything:- The update as such appeared to go OK, but at...
  10. Latest W10 update or hardware failure?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Latest W10 update or hardware failure?: After the latest cumulative update, my data drive E: (WDC 2TB) would not allow access to some of its folders. Seems I no longer had permission, access was denied. Added "take ownership" to the context menu, pointed to the folders and was able to now open them. Did a reboot to...