Windows 10: W10 and its future interaction with 3rd party software.

Discus and support W10 and its future interaction with 3rd party software. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I might be way off base with this but thought I'd throw the question out there and see what you think. When a new OS is released (such as W7 from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mooly, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Mooly Win User

W10 and its future interaction with 3rd party software.

I might be way off base with this but thought I'd throw the question out there and see what you think.

When a new OS is released (such as W7 from Vista, or W8/8.1 from W7 and so on, then OS specific software often doesn't run correctly. I've experienced that with backup software. What worked with W7 wasn't suited to W8.1, and that in turn would not run with W10.

Now W10 is radically different from all that has gone before because its very foundations can be altered with new builds that are appearing and that will continue to appear in the future.

Would it therefore be reasonable to think that software that is designed for W10 now has no guarantee of performing in the future ? I'm thinking specifically of the kind of program that out of necessity has to integrate itself with the OS at a fundamental level (such as imaging programs and security suites).

Any thoughts ?

:)

Mooly, Dec 15, 2015

2. 3rd party software

Spyware Protect 2009.

Julie Cunningham, Dec 15, 2015
  3. 3rd party software

What 3rd party software do you get?

Laura

Laura Rooke, Dec 15, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

I would not think so. My guess is that software that's designed for 10 will continue to work for some time to come.

BunnyJ, Dec 15, 2015
  5. The software that is going to break is the software that uses undocumented APIs or hacks. The software that doesn't and follows the documentation will continue to work for some time.

logicearth, Dec 15, 2015
  6. Thank you. I always see Microsoft get blamed for this, but hardware and software vendors have plenty of time to be ready for each OS release.

DeaconFrost, Dec 15, 2015
  7. Mooly Win User
    Thanks for your thought and insight folks.
    If I'm honest then I have to say that I remain to be convinced. I've seen (in other electronic fields) standards that have been laid down and then the goal posts get moved with the result that what was supposedly compliant gear fails to operate correctly. Only time will tell on this.

Mooly, Dec 16, 2015
  8. W10 and its future interaction with 3rd party software.

Time has already told us. There have been countless versions of Windows though out the years. Microsoft takes backwards compatibility seriously. Is everything going to work? No. But you would be surprised how much does work, even on 64bit versions.

(Fyi, on 64bit windows 16bit applications are out in the cold.)

logicearth, Dec 20, 2015
  9. LMiller7 Win User
    There are never any guarantees that older software will run on a newer OS or version. But many properly applications written for NT3.1 (released in 1993) will run without problem on Windows 10. Many even older 16 bit applications will run on 32 bit Windows 10. An application developer must be very careful to maintain compatibility with newer operating systems. If the developer gets it wrong even the most trivial changes in the OS can cause an application to fail. Games often fail because developers often bend (or break) the rules and care little for compatibility with newer systems. "Buy the new version that is compatible". Compatibility is more difficult for programs that integrate with the OS and operating systems that change frequently don't make things any easier.

Over the years Microsoft has gone to great lengths to ensure troublesome applications will continue to run, even when they violate the established rules. Windows 10 (and older versions) knows about many troublesome applications and will patch their code or even change it's own behavior to allow them to run. Microsoft has received much criticism for doing this, claiming that they should allow such applications to fail and force the developers to fix the problems. Software suppliers have been known to rely on these compatibility hacks instead of fixing their problems. But Microsoft is realistic about these things and understands that many older applications never will be fixed and that they (Microsoft) will receive the blame when they fail.

Of course Microsoft can't use such methods on all troublesome applications and many do fail. Of course the users of such applications will blame Microsoft. "How could it be the application, it worked fine with my previous OS". You can't win them all.

LMiller7, Dec 21, 2015
  10. CountMike New Member
    Compatibility with large SW base is very, very important to MS, No other OS has so many programs written for. Without so many SW compatible with every new version of OS, MS would loose it's primate, therefore they seem to pay utmost attention to it even to the point of slowing down development of Windows.
    I feel that MS could make much smaller and snappier windows if not for that compatibility issue.

CountMike, Dec 21, 2015
  11. LMiller7 Win User
    There is something in that but it is difficult to say how much. In the interests of compatibility Windows 10 maintains support for much old software technology that is officially deprecated. Developers are discouraged from using it but it often is. Things are different in Linux. When something becomes deprecated in Linux you had better not use it as it will likely be gone in the next major distribution.

LMiller7, Dec 21, 2015
  12. This may be off subject but someone on another forum put that an A drive will not work with windows 10.
    Well I have an external A drive and several disc's and they do work as good as gold.
    I save all important tax returns on them for end of year when books are made up

hTconeM9user, Dec 21, 2015
  13. CountMike New Member

A and B were reserved for floppy disks so some programs may recognize it as such other wise if those drives do not exist or controllers are turned off I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

CountMike, Dec 21, 2015
  14. alhagya Win User
    This seems to be what is happening. I'm having problems with software that used to work and has now stopped. I use a Tor browser but it has stopped working and a few other bits of software have stopped, while they work on my other pc also running Win 10. Don't have this problem with my Lynux

alhagya, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. W10 and its future interaction with 3rd party software. - Similar Threads - W10 future interaction

2. 3rd party software recommendations please

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3rd party software recommendations please: I've created unallocated space on the d drive in disk management & now need 3rd party software to move the space to the c drive. Looking for recommendations from the software users, not developers or employees of software houses thanks....
  3. 3rd party software recommendations please

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    3rd party software recommendations please: I've created unallocated space on the d drive in disk management & now need 3rd party software to move the space to the c drive. Looking for recommendations from the software users, not developers or employees of software houses thanks....
  4. Use of legacy 3rd party software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use of legacy 3rd party software: With Windows 11 can I still run legacy 3rd party software as administrator? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/use-of-legacy-3rd-party-software/3a0dbfaa-5718-4f40-b531-6589e1a35fdd
  5. Use of legacy 3rd party software

Use of legacy 3rd party software: With Windows 11 can I still run legacy 3rd party software as administrator? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/use-of-legacy-3rd-party-software/3a0dbfaa-5718-4f40-b531-6589e1a35fdd
  6. Using 3rd Party Imaging Software

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using 3rd Party Imaging Software: When creating a disk image is it necessary to backup all partitions on the diskor only c:?What would happen when try to restore an image of c:,will it try to delete all other partitions or simply replace c:?Also, Window Disk Management is reporting 2 drives C: and Disk 0...
  7. Install 3rd Party Software

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install 3rd Party Software: I attempted to install 3rd party software (IObit Uninstaller) by double-clicking on the downloaded .exe file in my Download folder. I received the following Windows 10 message window: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the...
  8. 3rd party software update failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    3rd party software update failed: I am trying to install GarminExpress on my laptop to update my GPS but the installation fails. Garmin says it has something to do with my account or my security on my laptop but I haven't the foggiest idea what it could possibly be. I have no idea what to do to change...
  9. 3rd party antivirus software

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    3rd party antivirus software: I'm thinking about getting Trend Micro antivirus software for my laptop. Is Trend Micro compatible with Windows 10 Home version 1803? Has anyone used Trend Micro and if so, how do you like it? Thank you for your time....
  10. 3rd Party Software - Self Installation

3rd Party Software - Self Installation: Hi, yesterday the 8th I noticed a very peculiar issue that has only just started. It seems that at startup Windows is reinstalling 3rd party software that is already currently installed and has been for some time. I only noticed this because for some reason while...