Windows 10: W10 and ripping DVD's / Blu Ray's

Discus and support W10 and ripping DVD's / Blu Ray's in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there One thing about W10 - a lot of programs I had problems with in the past seem to work perfectly now. This one works brilliantly for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jimbo45, Dec 7, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

W10 and ripping DVD's / Blu Ray's

Hi there
    One thing about W10 - a lot of programs I had problems with in the past seem to work perfectly now.

This one works brilliantly for example.

I use MAKEMKV now for ripping DVD's (FREE) -- there is a fee though if you use Blu RAY's but you get 30 days free trial. I don't have Blu Ray's so the free DVD rip is fine for me.

This creates uncompressed (i.e max) quality MKV rips including subtitles (you can optionally not rip the subtitles) in around 12 mins per DVD including de-crypting where necessary. Speed depends on your CPU and speed of your DVD device -- I'm running on a bog standard Sony VAIO laptop (older) laptop with I5 2.33 GHZ CPU and speed is fine for me.

Saves the old routine of ripping first with something like AnyDVD to de-regionalize and de-crypt and then use Handbrake to create mkv / mp4.

With W8 I always had problems with Makemkv -- works perfectly now and so much faster than the two stage ripping process using Handbrake.

(If you want a smaller rip or convert to mp4 you can always use handbrake on the uncompressed mkv file from Makemkv).

Re-ripping a few DVD's now --much better quality !!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 7, 2015
  2. CraigLong Win User

Saving photos from my computer to a DVD (for safe keeping)

How are they going to view these photos? If they will view them on a DVD player and not a computer then you need to burn the photos to the disk differently. About 5 years ago I burned photos to a disk to be played on a DVD player and gave it to a friend
    who appreciated seeing his photos on his DVD player.

To my knowledge there is no High Definition with the old DVD player? You can burn high definition photos and even 4K to a disk to be played on a PC. Blu-ray players can play regular DVDs also but I don't know much about blu-rays either. Seems like people
    are trying to rip blu-rays.

CraigLong, Dec 7, 2015
  3. Blu-Ray support in Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 7)

The drives are compatible. the issue is that there is no blu ray codecs due to sony's licensing. you have to purchase separate blu ray software to play blu ray discs on W10.

ChrisEhmen, Dec 7, 2015
  4. Rocky Win User

Right now I am using software that I paid for, WinX DVD Ripper Platinum. I like it, but would MAKEMKV be better?

Rocky, Jul 5, 2016
  5. I would say it depends on how you view your rips

I use WinX DVD, mainly because it does it all and gives you an MP4 file which is compatible with virtually everything
    MakeMKV converts the files in MPEG2 format, which might not be compatible with your devices

Not a great issue, as i use Plex as my media server so it transcodes things into formats that are playable, but any MP4 i have ripped with WinXDVD will playback without any transcoding

paulsalter, Jul 5, 2016
  6. I've been using DVDfab HD Decrypter. Seems to work well for me. Then I use Handbrake for .mp4 files or DVD Shrink to make DVDs, depending on what I want to do with my copy. I rarely use DVDs anymore, so pretty much everything I rip is to a .mp4 file for storage on my NAS and playback on my HTPC.

DeaconFrost, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. W10 and ripping DVD's / Blu Ray's - Similar Threads - W10 ripping DVD's

2. Blu Ray player Does not play blu rays

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blu Ray player Does not play blu rays: Hi I am trying to figure out if this is a hardware or software issue. I have Pioneer BD-2212. It worked twice and now it the drive won't play blu rays or show anything in the drive. I can hear the drive working. Device manager lists that it is working properly. I have windows...
  3. Blu Ray player Does not play blu rays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blu Ray player Does not play blu rays: Hi I am trying to figure out if this is a hardware or software issue. I have Pioneer BD-2212. It worked twice and now it the drive won't play blu rays or show anything in the drive. I can hear the drive working. Device manager lists that it is working properly. I have windows...
  4. Windows 10 blu ray dvd problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 blu ray dvd problem: Hi, I have a question How can I play any disc like blu ray DVD on my windows 10 Samsung notebook 7 also named as LAPTOP-A368KD5U? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-blu-ray-dvd-problem/111bb6f6-5433-4b68-b9fe-5240f6a6a9ad
  5. Blu-ray DVD recording

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Blu-ray DVD recording: Do I need to format a Blu-ray DVD before recording data files into it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blu-ray-dvd-recording/db37d907-8e4e-46d4-ae78-298d42bdd706"
  6. playing blu ray dvd in desktop computer

playing blu ray dvd in desktop computer: have dell desktop trying to play dvd doesn't recognize. Put disk doesn't play. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/playing-blu-ray-dvd-in-desktop-computer/641e461f-9772-4f0a-ae80-7677824caba6
  7. Ability to play a Blu-Ray DVD on a Windows 10

Ability to play a Blu-Ray DVD on a Windows 10: Hello Everyone, I don't know, whoever else has had this problem, why I cannot play a Blue-Ray DVD on my Windows 10 Media Player!! Apparently you have to use a 3td party player. Oh, and by the way, Windows will take no responsibility for any problems with your computer...
  8. Looking for Blu Ray BDXL Burning Software for W10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Looking for Blu Ray BDXL Burning Software for W10: I have almost 1TB of images as a photographer. I do have them on two other drives but would like to have them on optical. Uploading to the web is not an option. I am noticing that the software I am seeing only lists Window 8.1 and below. Does anyone know of a program that...
  9. DVD blu ray drive

DVD blu ray drive: 16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW This is disgustingly slow when picking up CD,s dvds, and then asking me what I want to do with it. When I click on setup.exe for example, it takes about 30-40 seconds to 'wind up' and run. It must be the drivers. Its not win 10,...
  10. blu ray problem

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    blu ray problem: Every time the latest build is installed my blu-ray (films) player stops working, I get an on screen message in cyber link saying my Graphics card is incompatible. After restoring build 16199 all is o/k again. Tried latest Drivers from AMD.I have tried BD addvisor everything...