Windows 10: W10 as HOST - Networking issues resolved (or Got around)

Discus and support W10 as HOST - Networking issues resolved (or Got around) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there Finally I've got a system working with network access between ALL machines in the LAN using W10 as one HOST and a LINUX server as the other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Oct 8, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

W10 as HOST - Networking issues resolved (or Got around)

Hi there

Finally I've got a system working with network access between ALL machines in the LAN using W10 as one HOST and a LINUX server as the other HOST with a number of VM's using both VMWARE (on the LINUX machine) and HYPER-V on the Windows machine as the virtualisation platform.

1) VMWARE on the W10 HOST will FAIL if you try and use any networking (NAT / BRIDGED - won't start) for ANY VM on the W10 HOST. So Get around --- Use HYPER-V. This will work in the majority of cases but if you have some specialized hardware attached via USB devices then this won't be an ideal solution - HDD's for example must be attached and shared via the HOST. Use TSCLIENT and connect as a network drive if accessing via RDP or simply share as network drives any network machine your VM can access.

2) RDP won't allow you to INSTALL programs (normally) - not a specific W10 problem but you can get round this by attaching the TSCLIENT drives as a network drive - then install works.

3) Access to W10 from LINUX. W8.1 VM running under VMWARE - no problem - accesses OK..

4) Accessing W10 though (from the LINUX HOST) - problem. PING gives different address to nmblookup -f servername which returns the REAL IP (IPV4) address. Using that in an SMB://address will give access to the W10 machine (real or virtual).

Still to try W10 to W10 both on REAL machines - I'd assume it works but with Windows networking NOTHING is ever guaranteed.

So temporarily I'll have to maintain the HOSTS file on Linux servers until I can get the wretched DNS or NetBIOS host lookup sorted out. Not (currently) a big deal but I don't want to manually maintain these indefinitely and for larger LANS (not connected via AD) this is a real pain.

VMWARE is releasing VERSION 11 in December so the networking problem might have been fixed - it would be IMBECILLIC of VMWARE to have NOT tested W10 before releasing their new upgrade.

Hope this helps people in mixed Linux and Windows environments.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 8, 2014

2. Getting Ethernet 2 does not have a valid IP configuration error while diagnosing VirtualBox Network adapter on Windows 10

This issue was resolved.

The host name was incorrect. That is why I got the "Network error: Software caused connection abort" issue.

And the second issue "Ethernet 2' doesn't have a valid IP configuration""
    was resolved by reinstalling the VirtualBox.

DezyreDebesh, Oct 8, 2014
  3. Unable to create hosted network on Windows 10

Hello, after upgrading to W10 i am not ableto create a hosted network. Please help.

Original title: Hosted networksupport

MontumoniTalukdar, Oct 8, 2014
  4. adamf Win User

adamf, Oct 8, 2014
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi
    there

I don't think you READ or UNDERSTOOD part of my post. !!! Not trying to be nasty of course -- hopefully explaining the problem a bit more should clarify what I'm doing.

The problem isn't the type of file service - but on RESOLVING the REMOTE computer's address. If I FIND the correct (ipv4) address and type in smb://hostname - then if FAILS but if I type in smb://IP address then it works.

Now what I DON'T want to have to do is maintain a load of IP addresses in some config file - especially as these can change when using DHCP.

The whole thing WORKED when a W8.1 computer was the remote computer -- something has changed with how W10 presents or identifies itself on the network. Windows 8.1 obviously can handle this and resolves the network addresses correctly - even when as a VM under a LINUX server.

An XP machine also has a problem here too. It CAN access a W8.1 machine but not the W10 machine (and this is Windows to Windows). It CAN access the W10 machine if the IP address is given instead of the Hostname.

Here's XP accessing a remote HOST W8.1 system -- no problem.

Trying to access W10 -- FAIL. However insert the IP address then it works.

If you look at the last screenshot you can see from the XP machine to GREYFOX it fails but give the IP address it is OK.

There is SOMETHING in how W10 presents itself to the network that's different from previous releases. (I've set the 128 bit encryption off etc - but that doesn't actually make any difference).

(W10 can ACCESS the XP machine without problems though).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 8, 2014
  6. kd833 Win User
    kd833, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. W10 as HOST - Networking issues resolved (or Got around) - Similar Threads - W10 HOST Networking

2. Network - resolving host

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network - resolving host: Win 10 1909 18363.836 Recently my PC network connection has started becoming slower and slower. I sit waiting for up to 10 minutes for pages to open while the any browser shows "Resolving host". I have now found that restarting the PC and Windows solves the problem, but...
  3. updates lead to resolving host issue

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    updates lead to resolving host issue: My wife's PC, Ver 18363 Update 1909, is usually used to browse via Chrome, but not always. On the last 3 occasions we've done update (automatic) the result has been vastly slow operation with "resolving host" message. I've gone through all the recommended processes (that is...
  4. Resolving host

Resolving host: Laptop HP envy Ver1903 is taking ages to connect to website (also takes ages using MS Edge) with the message 'Resolving Host' displayed in the bottom left hand corner. Sometimes it will connect after a while others it goes on forever. Rebooting sometimes solves the problem....
  5. Resolving host

in Windows 10 Support
    Resolving host: Laptop HP envy Ver1903 is taking ages to connect to website (also takes ages using MS Edge) with the message 'Resolving Host' displayed in the bottom left hand corner. Sometimes it will connect after a while others it goes on forever. Rebooting sometimes solves the problem....
  6. Resolving host ?

Resolving host ?: Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.657) I frequently encounter this. It was there for some time while writing this. What is it and can I avoid it? 151913
  7. Host W10 - VMWARE - Networking - anybody got it to work

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Host W10 - VMWARE - Networking - anybody got it to work: Hi there installing VMWARE workstation on W10 HOST machine -- (VMware workstation version 10). NAT and Bridged adapters don't work - anybody else had any luck (or with VMware player). (W10 x-64 Enterprise version). Cheers jimbo 2380
  8. Google Chrome - Resolving Hosts Issue

in Browsers and Email
    Google Chrome - Resolving Hosts Issue: I'm interested if anyone has information regarding the Resolving Hosts issue on Chrome. For several weeks, while using Chrome, most web pages took quite a long time to load. The browser flashed the message in the lowerbar "resolving hosts". After quite a bit of research,...
  9. Resolve network issues

Resolve network issues: You'll restart the machine at least once. Save any work, close open programs. Any unsaved work will be lost. The run command (WinKey+R or Run on Start) quickly gets you to Network Connections In the Run dialog, enter: ncpa.cpl After each suggested solution, see if...
  10. Resolving Host

in Windows 10 Support
    Resolving Host: Getting a lot of Resolving Host problems lately, Broadband supplier says no problem their end. 50538