Windows 10: W10: Cannot create system image and save it to storage spaces drive?

Discus and support W10: Cannot create system image and save it to storage spaces drive? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello. I'm trying to create a system image (Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore (Windows 7) -> Create a system image), however my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by vanowm, Aug 7, 2016.

1. vanowm Win User

W10: Cannot create system image and save it to storage spaces drive?

Hello.

I'm trying to create a system image (Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore (Windows 7) -> Create a system image), however my storage spaces drive is not listed in the available selection to save the image to.
    Why is that and what can do about that?

Thank you.

:)

vanowm, Aug 7, 2016

2. Capacity of external system image hard drive

If you use the Create a System Image tool in Control Panel/System and Security/Backup and Restore (Windows 7) then you need storage space equal to the size of the data on the drive. If you look at the
    This PC screen, right click on the source drive's blue bar and choose properties. The space used is the number you need on the target drive.

W10: Cannot create system image and save it to storage spaces drive? [​IMG]

Only one image made with the Create a System Image tool can be saved on a target drive (the image uses the name of the computer as seen in the System page). To save more than one requires a different target drive or changing the computer's name.

Cbarnhorst, Aug 7, 2016
  3. Backup using file history

Hi Doug,

There are limited options when using backup and restore. We suggest that you create a full backup using Windows 10 system image tool, you need to connect external storage with enough available space. See steps below:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Click on System and Security.
    • Click on Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
    • On the left pane, click the Create a system image link.
    • Under Where do you want to save the backup?, select the
      On a hard disk
      option.
    • Using the "On a hard disk" drop-down menu, select the storage to save the backup.
    • Click the Start backup button.

Note: Once you completed the steps, the wizard will proceed to create a full backup of your system, including everything that is stored on the main drive, as well as the system reserved partition.

Robelene Win, Aug 7, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, Can you see the drive in explorer?
    Backup and Restore (Windows 7) is viewed as rather quirky and unreliable. A number here prefer more flexible and full-featured 3rd part solutions such as Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot disk + external storage

dalchina, Aug 7, 2016
  5. Saltgrass Win User
    Is Storage Spaces a Network Location?

Saltgrass, Aug 7, 2016
  6. Why don't you use the utility in Windows 10 to create a system image? II, too, have heard bad things about the Restore (System 7). I use both Macrium and the Windows System Image as backups. To use "system image",

1. Go to Control Panel.
    2. Click on File History.
    3. On the lower left corner you will see "System Image Backup". Click on it.
    4. In the upper left corner of the next screen, click on "Create A System Image"

At that point, the system will search for appropriate medium. I use an external WD hard drive. Then follow the prompts to create the System Image.

Hope this helps ...

TexasBandit, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. W10: Cannot create system image and save it to storage spaces drive? - Similar Threads - W10 Cannot create

2. Should Create a Disk Image save free space on a drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should Create a Disk Image save free space on a drive?: Why is it that when I create a disk image of ssd C drive in Windows 7 the size is close to the whole disk 110 GB rather than just the used part which is 80 GB?This is even when the process says "The backup could take up to 80 GB of disk space".Thanks for any advice....
  3. Should Create a Disk Image save free space on a drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should Create a Disk Image save free space on a drive?: Why is it that when I create a disk image of ssd C drive in Windows 7 the size is close to the whole disk 110 GB rather than just the used part which is 80 GB?This is even when the process says "The backup could take up to 80 GB of disk space".Thanks for any advice....
  4. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating system Image to external drive: Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has 230GB spare.When I attempt to create the system image, it comes up with 'This drive is not a valid backup location'.I've tired...
  5. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating system Image to external drive: Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has 230GB spare.When I attempt to create the system image, it comes up with 'This drive is not a valid backup location'.I've tired...
  6. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Cannot create system image backup

Cannot create system image backup: I want to create a system image backup but I can't because I don't have enough space to store it. I checked and noticed when I backed up it included drive E even though I didn't install any operating system on this drive....
  8. Create System Image of External Drive

Create System Image of External Drive: My mother's Dell 5566 laptop died mid-use last week - pretty sure it's the mobo. She hasn't backed up recently so she wants to do that before she takes it in to get fixed I'm working on it with her remotely. Got her a SATA cable to check it using another laptop and it's...
  9. Creating storage spaces using 2 drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Creating storage spaces using 2 drives: I have a workstation (HP z1) that only supports 2 drives. Is it possible to set up a mirrored storage space with this IF the OS (Windows 10) is on a separate partition and I mirror just the remainder of that drive with the other? I know Storage Spaces doesn't support...
  10. Create storage spaces with only 2 drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Create storage spaces with only 2 drives?: I have a workstation (HP z1) that only supports 2 drives. Is it possible to set up a mirrored storage space with this IF the OS (Windows 10) is on a separate partition and I mirror just the remainder of that drive with the other? I know Storage Spaces doesn't support...