Windows 10: W10 caused sound to not work, now sound card no longer recognized

Discus and support W10 caused sound to not work, now sound card no longer recognized in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I first went from W8.1 to W10, everything worked except the sound. Now after several updates, the icon speaker in task bar has an x by it, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by treggjr, Jun 25, 2015.

1. treggjr Win User

W10 caused sound to not work, now sound card no longer recognized

When I first went from W8.1 to W10, everything worked except the sound. Now after several updates, the icon speaker in task bar has an x by it, and when I hover mouse over icon the message states that "no audio output device is installed." When I go to device manager, there is no longer a listing for sound.
    My thinking is that perhaps the sound had been switched off in bios. When I attempted to go into bios at startup, there is no longer a screen that allows me to get into bios.
    So, I have at least two issues that I need direction.

:)

treggjr, Jun 25, 2015
  2. Popalu_99 Win User

Windows 10 Upgrade and re-install after MOBO change

I currently have a PC with Windows 10 installed on it. The main components of the PC are working OK, but there is an issue with the sound card element of the motherboard, which means the sound is not working anymore. I am now looking at replacing the MOBO
    to fix this problem, but believe that if I do this, then the W10 version will no longer be activated.

Is this correct? If so, how do I replace the MOBO without having to buy a new licence for W10?

I have 6 PC's all running W10, but the one affected is my gaming rig, so having no sound is an issue and the MOBO needs to be changed, prior to anything else going wrong with it.

Do I have to purchase W10 or can I swap the board, install the drive with the OS on and hope that it works?

Any advice is appreciated, prior to me doing anything

Popalu_99, Jun 25, 2015
  3. Creative Console Launcher Windows 10

#1 is definitely still an issue. For me it's actually been since the 9926 build.

Something is happening when Win 10 encounters the device and installs the driver package on each new build.

The driver installs and the sound does work, but the various software components no longer recognize the installed card. Most people want the Console Launcher, but other components such as the Volume Panel don't work either. The error says "No supported
    hardware exists."

It's not so much breaking the software as it is somehow reassigning the identity of the sound card so that the software no longer recognizes it. The uninstall/reinstall of the older drivers (though not Creative's own driver, the Daniel K drivers) correctly
    assigns the device identity and the software components work again. (Or more accurately the ID is what the components are expecting.)

Also the binaries, themselves, don't seem to be the issue. I've gotten it to work with different driver binary versions of the driver. It's something the install package itself is doing (a registry setting, an .ini file somewhere) that causes the components
    to no longer recognize the device.

Not at home now, but I'll try tomorrow to just do a driver update on the card itself via device manager and just point it at a different binary. That may tell us if it's in the released driver package or Windows 10 itself.

DwayneHall, Jun 25, 2015
  4. W10 caused sound to not work, now sound card no longer recognized

I had the sound problem initially, this was resolved for me, by installing the latest GPU drivers as mine is hooked up by HDMI. And Windows 10 seems to have a passion for installing old video drivers.
    How is your audio hooked up?

Jamie Cortez, Jun 25, 2015
  5. treggjr Win User
    I do not HDMI. My audio has two audio and one mic mini jacks. This is on a laptop. Now my sound card is being recognized, however, there is still a problem. In device manager, there is a triangled exclamation point. Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221i is the name of card.

treggjr, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

W10 caused sound to not work, now sound card no longer recognized

1. W10 caused sound to not work, now sound card no longer recognized - Similar Threads - W10 caused sound

2. Sound card not getting recognized after the update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound card not getting recognized after the update: Hello I use a external sound card as my audio port is broken I've been using it for 3 years now yesterday I updated my pc and shut it down today morning when I woke up , I connected my sound card and it the microphone appeared but nothing came up on the speaker side I've...
  3. sound no longer working

sound no longer working: sound on my computer no longer working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-no-longer-working/3e658450-b4fb-4c9c-9887-a37e2dfcaa4a
  4. Sound is no longer working

Sound is no longer working: When I got onto my PC today my sound was no longer working through my Sound Blaster.[ATTACH] That is what I see when I launch the Sound Blaster Z-Series Control Panel. I can still get sound if I plug my headset in or if I move the audio jack from the Sound Blaster hardware...
  5. Sound Cards

Sound Cards: Hi! I have an old dell laptop. Is it possible to download ASIO sound card to my laptop? or is there any external sound card or drivers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-cards/3e8a3888-f755-4f2d-a26e-c1e15f59f37d
  6. sound device no longer recognized

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    sound device no longer recognized: https://imgur.com/sj5r28H It was working fine? All of a sudden decided to show up in the other devices list. I've tried reinstalling the drivers, uninstalling the device and restarting, different usb ports. Windows is up to date, drivers are up to date. submitted by...
  7. W10 Sound

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    W10 Sound: When I start up W10 I have no sound. This occurs daily. When I restart the sound works. What causes this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w10-sound/54253d6c-1451-4f41-a7b0-f1dfac8c1ac3
  8. Sound Card

Sound Card: HI, I have a Razer blade 2019. I am connecting my dj controller that has a built in sound card, windows recognize it and I can use it with the Serato software, but the line in volume meter do not pick up the sound coming from it and I can not use it with OBS. I can hear the...
  9. sound no longer working

sound no longer working: I have no sound after update running the sound check I am told no devises are installed??- 2 days ago it all worked perfectly and now no driver etc. can be found? windows encountered a problem installing driver for the devise??? help please......
  10. Sound card no longer detected - like, it's gone

Sound card no longer detected - like, it's gone: Hello, I have an old HP desktop from 2012. Obviously, it came with Windows 7, but I took advantage of the free rollout of Windows 10 and upgraded to that when it was available. It has been buggy lately, so I figured it was time to buy a new computer, but when I looked at my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. soundblaster card no longer recognized in w10