Windows 10: W10 changes user rights on folders

Discus and support W10 changes user rights on folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am running a multiboot W7-pro and W10-pro with several harddisks build in the computer to discover that after W10 used a disk W7 wants to check it to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jos, Sep 26, 2015.

1. JOS
    jos Win User

W10 changes user rights on folders

I am running a multiboot W7-pro and W10-pro with several harddisks build in the computer to discover that after W10 used a disk W7 wants to check it to find no errors. Beside that I am not allowed to delete some folders I created in W7 after using them in W10 and they are set to free for use for everybody. W7 now askes me to get permission from that everybody. I think they mean the W10-everybody. Understand that security is important nowadays but this is becoming a disaster!
    Also discovered that running the backupapplication Cobian (that always did a perfect job in W7) now is not allowd to acces lots of files in W7 anymore after W10 did ?????something??????. Another example: I have two SATA backup 1 Tb Disks I switch every few weeks. W10 refused to see the new one after the first switch. Had to go deep into settings to carefully trying to open its content again as W10 told me zero bytes were used. In the end the 900 Gb data was there again but I have forgotten all the steps needed to fix it.

My best guess is that beside Microsoft is messing around with accounts and rights to get full control of your computer. They do not want you to be in control yourself anymore and you have to (must) only use W10 in the future.
    I am starting to feel a big fool that upgraded to W10 as I am loosing control over my PC's and home-network day by day!!!!

:)

2. Teddy2016 Win User

Cannot delete Windows OLD using disc cleanup.

Hello Peter

May I ask what was the first method you used to remove the folder. Right click delete? Access Denied. Correct? How many users do you have on the PC?

I have three W10 PC's, with one user (admin). All three windows.old folders were removed with the settings app. The Windows.old file was created by the system. The system is the only user going to remove the file while system is running. If you changed permissions
    of the folder or files before using the remove option in the settings manage may be the cause of folder and file not removing. Maybe changing it back.

Every time a W10 install or upgrade takes place these folders will be overwritten or recreated.

Teddy2016, Sep 26, 2015
  3. path

Hi,

I'm new on W10, I have folders in my documents so on my old W7 any folder in my documents would be C:/Users/My Name.....

in w10 its C:/Users/User... even though I have changed my computer and account name to"My name"but it still shows User.

How could I change user to "my name" to be reflected in the path?

Many thanks

Othman1937, Sep 26, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

Open an elevated command prompt and enter (assuming the directory you have a problem with is "D:\Problem Directory" - otherwise you'll want to change the bit in red...)
    Code: takeown /f "D:\Problem Directory" /r icacls "D:\Problem Directory" /grant "%USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%"W10 changes user rights on folders :(F) /t[/quote] This will take ownership of the directory and then grant authority to the current user. hth

5. JOS
    jos Win User
    Thanks will give it a try but found a workaround by adding a new account to switch ownership to get back in control.
    W10 however refuses to show some of the folders on the backup-disk that were used in W7 evenso the owner is everybody. The first screendump shows that everybody is greyed out and it cannot be changed anyway and the account is not in full control after all. And there is a new long number I never saw before that I can change and is in control. The number can also be found in the registry under HKEY-User.
    I stop this nonsens running W10 by the backdoor and rollback to W7 as there at least I could understand what was happening. Start getting too old for new stuff.
    And another example: I still use Eudora for email. Does all I need. Now after using it some time in W10 without problems W7 cannot start the batchfile I wrote to switch the *.ini files for the two email accounts I use. W7 simply writes: "Eudora.bat does not exist" and shows it in Explorer and I can edit it if I want to. Switching mail *.ini by hand and starting Eudora.exe does work. Back in W10 (grrrr........) now Eudora.bat does run and switches the email *.ini as programmed. Why is W10 changing settings that W7 does not know? Changing name, content and/or user/owner of eudora.bat also does not activate it.

6. lx07 Win User
    You need to click on Geavanceerd ("Go Advanced") and change the owner I think.

However you do it - though GUI or CMD, you need to take ownership and apply your user to have control.

I thought to explain CMD was easier than GUI is all.

SID s-1-5-21 are users. The fact it has a GUID not your name means your system doesn't know who it is. Presumably your old system. You can delete it through the GUI if you want.

7. JOS
    jos Win User
    Thank you for the details and got it working again like usual. Keep it in mind for you never know.
    I will stop testing W10 and wait until December to give it another try........

8. lx07 Win User

OK, remember takeown and icacls and then you needn't worry about authority...

9. Hi halasz,
    You are great. I searched for solutions to change multiple ownership but your 2 line code worked as a wonder and better than all solutions. Thanks for your help to us all.

sahinozyurek, Oct 19, 2015
  10. lx07 Win User
    You are welcome *Smile

11. Almighty1 Win User
    This will take ownership of the directory and then grant authority to the current user. hth[/quote] Have a question, do I still need to do the icacls line if it's not a network shared folder?

Almighty1, Oct 21, 2015
  12. lx07 Win User
    If you don't have authority, yes. takeown takes ownership while the icacls grants authority. You could be the owner and not have authority to do what you want or alternatively you could have the required authority without being the owner.

For example if you wanted to delete some folder that was owned by TrustedInstaller or System (like Windows.old or found000 directories) then taking ownership is not enough as you wouldn't have authority to delete (normally full control).

You could do the same thing through the GUI on "properties" > "security" > "advanced".

Here you would change owner to yourself and click apply but you still may not have authority to do what you want if you are not in the list of users/groups.

Then you would have to click on "Change Permissions" > "Add" and then add yourself with full control and click apply.

Depending on the original authority you may not be allowed to change it without taking ownership first.

In this situation I think command line is easier than the GUI but it does the same.

13. Almighty1 Win User

Thanks for the answer but what does one put in for the %Userdomain% part if the computer is not part of the domain. I noticed that when one does the properties -> securities -> advanced and adds one to the user/groups will full control, it still would not change permissions for all the files and folders under it as some files and folders seem to require doing it directly.

Almighty1, Oct 21, 2015
  14. lx07 Win User
    If you are not in a domain %userdomain% gives the name of your local PC so you can leave it as it is - you actually type in %userdomain%\%username% (with all the % signs) - no need to substitute anything. You only need change the bit in red.

For the GUI there is a tick box which says something like "replace all child items permissions" which you would need to tick. The is the same as the /T on icacls and /r on takeown both of which mean to apply to all objects contained within the directory you specify and not just the directory object itself.

15. Almighty1 Win User
    Ah so basically, I should type it like this assuming I want it to be owned by user bob...

takeown /f "D:\Problem Directory" /r
    icacls "D:\Problem Directory" /grant "%USERDOMAIN%\bob"*SadF) /t

In the GUI, I did check enable hierarchy but then it tries to change everything and then will always get stuck on some files or folders and I have to manually change those on my own.

Almighty1, Oct 21, 2015
Thema:

1. W10 changes user rights on folders - Similar Threads - W10 changes user

2. Changing the user folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing the user folder: Hi I am trying to change the folder name for one of my coworkers in windows 10. I have changed the user account name in control panel. However, that doesn't change the name in the file directory and that is what I want to do. It currently has a space but when my user is...
  3. Changing the user folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing the user folder: Hi I am trying to change the folder name for one of my coworkers in windows 10. I have changed the user account name in control panel. However, that doesn't change the name in the file directory and that is what I want to do. It currently has a space but when my user is...
  4. Changing the user folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. w10 change account user name and pw

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    w10 change account user name and pw: Hello, i just format my computer for the first time, and w10 by deafault enter my e-mail as my account name and a PIN. I didn't even want that, so i did it cuz i had no other way of starting w10, i "knew" i could change later, but as i see i cant. My windows edition is w10...
  6. Change the users name in folder

Change the users name in folder: I want remove the space in folder's name: C:\Users\Arbnor Gashi\Desktop\Master_Thesis\Write\Thesis. The space between name and last name should be removed because it doesn't work for a statistical program. I changed my account name but this name doesn't change in...
  7. change a user name folder

change a user name folder: how do I change a user name folder in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-a-user-name-folder/7413f37f-1efb-44a8-9a97-24132b3ad0f8
  8. W10 Unrecognized C:\Users Folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    W10 Unrecognized C:\Users Folder: This is a problem with multiple levels I think, so I'm trying to isolate them one by one... I have a backup computer on my network (running latest W10 update), and under C:\Users there is a folder (call it Joe). However, when I run "net user" on the command line it doesn't...
  9. W10 Storage settings and user folder structure. How to change location

W10 Storage settings and user folder structure. How to change location: Hi, I just build up a new pc and changed from W7 to new era of W10 :-) Was not that easy and pleasant experience as I thought. I have huge storage capability with this new pc but since I'm using very fast Intel 512Gb 600p M.2 SSD as C drive, I also want to make sure that...
  10. Change User Account Admin rights

Change User Account Admin rights: I am the sole user of this computer. The control panel tells me I am an administrator but when I go into my account it says I am a standard user and won't let me change it to Administrator. I just want to manage my own computer and - for instance - delete files on a CD...