Windows 10: W10 Desktop randomly repositions Icons - How do I make it stop?

Discus and support W10 Desktop randomly repositions Icons - How do I make it stop? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. I have my desktop icons sorted into sections, each section for a different need; hobbies, works, or by person. Randomly after a reboot or return... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Trapper, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Trapper Win User

W10 Desktop randomly repositions Icons - How do I make it stop?

Hi.
    I have my desktop icons sorted into sections, each section for a different need; hobbies, works, or by person. Randomly after a reboot or return from sleep all the icons have been shunted to the left side and in no particular order that makes any sense. I then spend too much time trying to put them back in the right sections.
    Any suggestions as to how to stop W10 doing this? It seems to be happening more often now and is really annoying.
    I have looked through the tutorials but no luck with this problem
    Thanks for any help....

:)

Trapper, Jul 21, 2017

2. Display Aspect vs Icon Positioning on Desktop issue WIN10

It appears that the repositioning is quite random.

Well Established Icon - those that have been residing on the desktop for a while, seem to be well grounded in their positioning.

Newer Icons seem to randomly reposition when the aspect/resolution changes.

John

arctos2017, Jul 21, 2017
  3. Ernie San Win User
    How do I make it so Taskbar icons will always maximize the window when hovering over them with a file for drag and drop applications?

Hello Jeff,

We encourage to post your concern to this
    link
    and we will happy to improve our current service.

We recommend checking the article about Taskbar on Windows 10, click
    here

Regards.

Ernie San, Jul 21, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Jul 21, 2017
  5. That problem drove me nuts, till I found that it was the "slide show" of desktop pictures (backgrounds) that was causing the problem.
    I fixed it by setting my desktop to show just ONE PICTURE, and not a slide show, then arrange my icons the way I want them, then reboot, and the icons will stay in place. Then I could turn the Slide Show back on and my icons would stay in place.
    It sounds like a funky fix, but hey, it worked.

Cheers mate!
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Jul 21, 2017
  6. Trapper Win User
    Thank you for your help, I have plenty of spare time to explore as I have just got home from a Prostate op' *Sad. I will try the restore point option first then an add on program suggested in one of the links.

Trapper, Jul 21, 2017
  7. Steve C Win User
    I wouldn't waste too much time. Many people report this problem which points to poor software engineering by MS. I sometimes have the same issue when I use Switch User to go to another account. I've learned to log off before changing accounts to avoid the problem.

Steve C, Jul 22, 2017
  8. Trapper Win User

Point taken, would seem to be another bit of flakey programming from MS.
    Thanks for the advice, at least I know it's not just my PC that has the problem.

Trapper, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. W10 Desktop randomly repositions Icons - How do I make it stop? - Similar Threads - W10 Desktop randomly

2. W10 desktop doing weird things to icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 desktop doing weird things to icons: My old W10 tower locked up again. It's been doing that recently, a hint I need a new computer.When I powered it off and turned it back on, it moved the desktop icons from the left side of my center, primary, monitor, to the right side of the left monitor. I tried the old...
  3. W10 desktop doing weird things to icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 desktop doing weird things to icons: My old W10 tower locked up again. It's been doing that recently, a hint I need a new computer.When I powered it off and turned it back on, it moved the desktop icons from the left side of my center, primary, monitor, to the right side of the left monitor. I tried the old...
  4. W10 desktop doing weird things to icons

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How make a desktop icon and toolbar icon for the Desktop itself?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How make a desktop icon and toolbar icon for the Desktop itself?: Not how make a desktop icon I know how do that. How do I can an icon on my toolbar that I can click when gaming that leads directly to the desktop; that minimizes all the programs and browsers and shows only the desktop. But is on my TOOLBAR so I can get to it EASILY. ???...
  6. How do I stop windows repositioning and resizing?

How do I stop windows repositioning and resizing?: I know I've been here a lot lately. I have used Windows since 1997, but I have a new HP desktop machine, and I am having issues I've never encountered before. If I power off the monitor and later power it on, I find my app windows have resized smaller and reposition to...
  7. How do I make the icons on my desktop smaller?

How do I make the icons on my desktop smaller?: So I recently unplugged my second monitor's hdmi, used a different monitor, and then plugged the original one back in. The result was the icons i had on both monitors swapped monitors, and also they're all bigger now. To get the icons back to the right monitors though I just...
  8. How do I stop the W10 updates?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I stop the W10 updates?: How can stop the updates? Or at least choose the security and leave the rest behind? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-the-w10-updates/fc5a5065-d025-47f4-9eba-dd59a10a105a
  9. New W10 feature with desktop icon instances/pages? What is this and how do i stop it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New W10 feature with desktop icon instances/pages? What is this and how do i stop it?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/LICK_THE_BUTTER [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fd7aq5/new_w10_feature_with_desktop_icon_instancespages/
  10. How do I make a www address a desktop icon?

in Browsers and Email
    How do I make a www address a desktop icon?: I'd like to have a few frequently used web pages as icons on my desktop. How do I do this in win 10? 17217

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows repositions app icons