Windows 10: W10 doesn't detect external drives when plugging, but does on startup

Discus and support W10 doesn't detect external drives when plugging, but does on startup in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there! Thanks in advance for the help. Well, the problem is as simple to explain as the title of the thread sujests: when I plug my hdd drive on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Naggash, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Naggash Win User

W10 doesn't detect external drives when plugging, but does on startup

Hi there!
    Thanks in advance for the help.

Well, the problem is as simple to explain as the title of the thread sujests: when I plug my hdd drive on a usb, Windows doesn't even detect it (to the best of my knowledge it doesn't even show up on Device manager, even after hitting "Scan for hardware changes"). BUT when I shutdown or restart with the HDD plugged in, it does show up on This PC and is fully functional.

The problem is exactly the same both for 2.0 and for 3.0 USBs.

I think I have the latest drivers for everything, installed directly from my mobo manufacturer's page, also through the App Center (my manufacturer is Gigabyte) and through "AMD Software" application (I have a Ryzen 5 1600).
    Even so I'd be more than happy to provide you with the version of any driver you ask. Just want to get this sorted out as soon as possible.

The only further information I can provide is that it worked at some point, but I don't know when exactly stopped working, because I did a lot of stuff in between.

Oh, I also used DriverEasy to update some drivers.

Well, hope I provided the information you need to start helping me and thanks in advance for your help.

PS: I've just now thought of letting you know that I have Ultra Fast Boot enabled, just in case, even though I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

:)

Naggash, Aug 28, 2017
  2. colack Win User

Windows 10 download tool does not detect my USB flash drive

I would like to install W10 on a laptop, using media downloaded to a USB drive on my W7 PC. I have downloaded the W10 download tool but when I run it, it does not detect the USB flash drive plugged in (there is nothing wrong with the drive).

colack, Aug 28, 2017
  3. External drive

After W10 update my PC desktop will not "see" my external drive. The drive lights up when I plug into usb but it does not appear on device list?

Any ideas

I think this happened before

renshinkai, Aug 28, 2017
  4. TrustMe Win User

Try opening a command prompt (Admin) press Enter after each command.

diskpart
    automount enable
    exit

See if that fixes it.

TrustMe, Aug 28, 2017
  5. Naggash Win User
    Nope, no luck with that unfortunately.

Naggash, Aug 28, 2017
  6. Naggash Win User
    Sorry for doubleposting but I have new information that I assume will come in handy for you guys, and it's weird as **** too.

I have just plugged a pen and W10 automatically mounted it no problem (I didn't have one in hand previously to try), then I unplugged it to test the hdd drive for magics sake but nothing happened, and now I plug my flash drive and W10 doesn't recognize it. Wtf xD

It's as if somehow my hdd drive messes with the USBs, I don't understand xD

EDIT: After restarting I can plug in my flash drive and it work perfectly after removing and plugging it repetedly. It seems it's the hdd that does something weird to the usb ports or something, I wouldn't know.
    Could it be a power thing (voltage)? Though in that case I guess it shouldn't work even if it's plugged in when starting the computer.

Naggash, Aug 28, 2017
  7. Naggash Win User
    So, I'm thirdposting xD

My external HDD has this format: HDD <- plug in cable -> PC (I mean, you plug it both ways).
    What I was doing all the time: cable already plugged in HDD, and plug it into the pc.
    What I did this time: cable already plugged in HDD, plug it in pc, unplug from HDD side, plug again the HDD.
    Now it works ALL THE TIME.

I can't even xDDDDDD
    Well, I'll mark this as solved though I still have no idea what was causing this random ass bug xD

Naggash, Aug 28, 2017
  8. TrustMe Win User

Thanks for letting us know how you solved it.

TrustMe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. W10 doesn't detect external drives when plugging, but does on startup - Similar Threads - W10 doesn't detect

2. USB-C plug does not detect external monitor anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB-C plug does not detect external monitor anymore: hi,I have a lenovo T14s 3rd generation with windows 11 pro.I usually use a USB-c adapter with an HDMI external monitor, the external monitor is usually recognized on both USB4 plugs.Last week I updated windows and now the USB4 plug I usually use, cannot detect the external...
  3. USB-C plug does not detect external monitor anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB-C plug does not detect external monitor anymore: hi,I have a lenovo T14s 3rd generation with windows 11 pro.I usually use a USB-c adapter with an HDMI external monitor, the external monitor is usually recognized on both USB4 plugs.Last week I updated windows and now the USB4 plug I usually use, cannot detect the external...
  4. BSOD When plugging in external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD When plugging in external drive: Hi! I've been trying to fix this issue for a couple of days now, so hopefully someone here can help.I have two internal and two external NVME drives on my machine. The first external NVME drive has been running well for a couple of months. The second one I just purchased....
  5. BSOD When plugging in external drive

BSOD When plugging in external drive: Hi! I've been trying to fix this issue for a couple of days now, so hopefully someone here can help.I have two internal and two external NVME drives on my machine. The first external NVME drive has been running well for a couple of months. The second one I just purchased....
  6. external hard drive doesn't open to show files when plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hard drive doesn't open to show files when plugged in: I have a drive with files you know one of those drives you can store stuff on say from Amazon on it and when I connect it to the UBS port nothng opens on the laptop. the system recognizes the device in the system tray but doesn't do more than that. No files appear for me to...
  7. external hard drive doesn't open to show files when plugged in

external hard drive doesn't open to show files when plugged in: I have a drive with files you know one of those drives you can store stuff on say from Amazon on it and when I connect it to the UBS port nothng opens on the laptop. the system recognizes the device in the system tray but doesn't do more than that. No files appear for me to...
  8. external hard drive doesn't open to show files when plugged in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. External hard drive doesn't detect on my laptop.

External hard drive doesn't detect on my laptop.: I disconnected the hard disk without safely ejecting it. Now that usb port doesn't detect the external hard drive. But it detects other usb devices. Also the external hard drive works with my other usb ports. Please help me to fix my usb port....
  10. External Microphone not detecting when plugged in

External Microphone not detecting when plugged in: I am trying to set up my new Dell Vostro 3670 desktop running Windows 10 pro and I need voice input to the computer. When I plugged in a headset into the headset port (port 5) on the front of the computer , I got the following message when I tried to troubleshoot the...