Windows 10: W10 & GFX Compatibility

Discus and support W10 & GFX Compatibility in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have W10 on my laptop and the graphic cards are being shown as incompatible and am currently using Windows VGA mode. I have dual card one for battery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by tazmo8448, Jul 30, 2015.

1. tazmo8448 Win User

W10 & GFX Compatibility

I have W10 on my laptop and the graphic cards are being shown as incompatible and am currently using Windows VGA mode. I have dual card one for battery and one for elec plug in Radeon HD 4xxx series and HD 5xxx series respectively.

Does anyone have a line on when patches/upgrades will be forthcoming? I have friends with Nvidia cards that have the same compatibility issue.

:)

tazmo8448, Jul 30, 2015
  2. Tomek-sw Win User

W10 Creator don't work on Apple hw ( mac mini '14 - Intel Iris 5100 )

Not only apple but i intel too.

Intel gfx driver is problematic in Creator buil W10 not only on mac hardware.

Tomek-sw, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Shilohbob Win User
    help

Yes, upgrade the tablet to W10, you mention that you want to use it for your sewing machine embroidery, so before you upgrade try and confirm that the Embroidery program is compatible for W10, if it is a older program you may have difficulties.

If when, you do try to install the Embroidery program on W10, install with Admin rights & compatibility mode.

Shilohbob, Jul 30, 2015
  4. bobkn Win User

W10 & GFX Compatibility

Possibly never.

Microsoft generally doesn't produce drivers for third party hardware. That includes the drivers that are distributed through WIndows Update.

It's entirely up to AMD. As they receive no income from supporting old hardware, they'd have to do it to preserve good will.

"Old hardware" doesn't have to be very old, just not for sale in the retail market any more. It's not unusual for old hardware to not be supported under a new OS. Notebooks can be particular tricky, because their manufacturers sometime use custom device IDs for their onboard graphics, so a generic driver installer from AMD (or nVidia) doesn't recognize them.

Good luck.

bobkn, Jul 30, 2015
  5. tazmo8448 Win User
    Yeah my understanding is the the OS devs release codes to graphic card makers so they can make patches. From what I understand on other forums Windows is aware that there are issues and so does Nvidia and AMD and they are working on it. I was kinda hoping someone here had imperical knowledge of the goings on.

As of this moment I have lots of questions to post about W10 hopefully this forum will provide answers.

tazmo8448, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Hellishdream, Jul 30, 2015
  7. bobkn Win User
    That's true, as far as it goes.

If you expect to find people here with inside information from Microsoft, AMD, Intel, nVidia, etc., you may be disappointed.

If you think that AMD owes you working Windows 10 drivers for your laptop, you may be very disappointed.

bobkn, Jul 31, 2015
  8. tazmo8448 Win User

W10 & GFX Compatibility

As far as owing people, the way I look at, it they owe to themselves to open all avenues, even if just for advertizing purposes. They're all the time releasing patches for games heck I've seen AMD release 3 patches within a month for different things. The big deal in my mind with W10 is the DX12 deal that supposedly is backward compatible to DX9 why some cards that are DX10&DX11 capable have issues is beyond my expertise. I do know the M$ site did have a little blurb about the cards that are having issues(said they were ''looking into it'') M$ alone should owe to themselves to fix what they've broken for people, even if for good PR but it still boils down to $ and advertizing $ at that. Lots of craptops have Radeon HD 4xxx & 5xxx series cards so I'll bet dollars to donuts they'll come up with something. Just like the Windows Update feature that is now on W10 its Auto Update only, with no way to choose updates or what it is that is updated, I know people are going to howl about that.

tazmo8448, Jul 31, 2015
  9. tazmo8448 Win User
    thanks Hellishdream... BTDT..... AMDs 15.7 even states its for W10 but sadly it didn't work with the HD 4xxx & HD 5xxx series cards.

tazmo8448, Jul 31, 2015
  10. bobkn Win User
    I mostly agree.

However, I'm accustomed to seeing companies like nVidia cutting support for graphics cards that are only a few years old. I doubt that AMD is a lot better. (Notebooks are sometimes worse, because the makers often use custom device IDs. That can block using generic drivers from the graphics chip makers.) Microsoft never came to the rescue; their basic drivers were never adequate.

In my view, Microsoft offers the free Win10 upgrade to put everyone running Windows 7 (GA nearly 6 years ago) on a single OS. Time will tell whether Redmond is prepared to twist enough arms to make that work for every PC sold with 7 or later. (Better, every PC that ran 7 well.) From the posts here, they haven't managed so far.

bobkn, Jul 31, 2015
  11. Would you be able to provide me with the exact models of GPUs, hd 4xxx & hd 5xxx is a bit vague?

Hellishdream, Jul 31, 2015
  12. tazmo8448 Win User
    My switchable graphic cards are:
    1) the embeded mobo card is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 (battery mode)
    2) Radeon HD 5470 (plugged in high perfomance) 512mb model

I do know when I go to AMD the list it shows as 4xxx & 5xxx series when they update; whereas the older drivers from HP were very specific and called out the exact numbers. Past history dealing with these driver updates I found the HP specific updates worked whereas the generic ones from AMD did not. This isn't true with my desktop gfx they all work, take for instance I had an HD 6870 updating through AMD it was listed as HD 6xxx series and worked.

tazmo8448, Jul 31, 2015
  13. tazmo8448 Win User

W10 & GFX Compatibility

I agree only time wil tell. My HP dv7-4177nr craptop came with W7 Hm Prem and doing the ''will it run W10'' came back positive, found out the hard way about the gfx issues. Nvidia GTX 650 won't even POST according to forums I've browsed.

tazmo8448, Jul 31, 2015
  14. I use a Nvidia GTX 650 2Gb EVGA gfx card in my desktop , had no issues after updating the drivers to the specific 353.62 version. Even with an overclock it runs fine.

Hellishdream, Jul 31, 2015
  15. tazmo8448 Win User
    maybe it was the GT 650 but I do remember that number along with some four digit models to name a few. Glad it worked out. they (amd) came out with a 15.7.1 but it too didn't take.

tazmo8448, Jul 31, 2015
Thema:

W10 & GFX Compatibility

1. W10 & GFX Compatibility - Similar Threads - W10 GFX Compatibility

2. GFX card install.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    GFX card install.: Last week I got my hands on a EVGA 3070. My question is this and I don't want to mess anything up. That card has (2) 8 pin connections. My EVG cable coming off the 850 watt PSU has (1) 8pin connections along with an 6pin with a detached 2pin. Like I said , I don't want to...
  3. GFX card install.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    GFX card install.: Last week I got my hands on a EVGA 3070. My question is this and I don't want to mess anything up. That card has (2) 8 pin connections. My EVG cable coming off the 850 watt PSU has (1) 8pin connections along with an 6pin with a detached 2pin. Like I said , I don't want to...
  4. compatibility of w10 Powershell Dism tools with SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    compatibility of w10 Powershell Dism tools with SSD: is the following windows repair tool still valid for SSD ? -- it was great with legacy HDD- or is there a better routine?_______________________________________________________powershell admindism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealthdism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealthdism...
  5. Windows 10 GFX issues

Windows 10 GFX issues: Hi all The thread below is where this all started, getting win32base.sys error and also nvlddmkm.sys error. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/win32kbasesys-and-nvlddmkmsys-bsods/9890c9da-5460-4ccb-a659-26b13ba4e9df?tm=1593695980173...
  6. W10: Is My Acer Aspire 7740-5691 Laptop Compatible With W10

W10: Is My Acer Aspire 7740-5691 Laptop Compatible With W10: Hello everyone; During the time when we could download Window 10 free I ran it for almost 30 days and I do not remember having any issues. I did not create an ISO on a memory stick or DVD. My laptop is an Aspire 7740-5691, Intel i3 M330 quad core , 2.13 GHZ, 64 bit, 1 TB...
  7. How to set compatibility mode in W10

in Cortana
    How to set compatibility mode in W10: How do I set compatibility mode in Windows 10 ? I read an article which told me to 'enter run programs' and select one the options.... so I enter the test (trying a number of variants) and even trying 'file explorer' the method I used to locate the file explorer and I get...
  8. compatibility of w10 with early Photoshop Elements?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    compatibility of w10 with early Photoshop Elements?: I like using Elements 2 on one PC still running win7, and am not a fan of Elements 9. But have not had any success with compatibility settings to get 2 to run under win10; is there a way? Thanks. 117605
  9. Compatibility mode for W10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Compatibility mode for W10: I have Windows 10 64bit. Is there a way to switch a bat file to compatibility mode? The only options I see in the bat properties are: General - Security - Details - Previous Versions....
  10. Is microsoft health vault compatable with W10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is microsoft health vault compatable with W10?: I have a Omron modBP7911T blood pressure tester but results are not uploading to MS health vault, it always did with W7. 27685