Windows 10: W10 Guest VM doesn't see Host W7 Homegroup

Discus and support W10 Guest VM doesn't see Host W7 Homegroup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been trying in vain to get my W10 VM guest to join up to my W7 host's Homegroup, but the only options I get in the Homegroup section on W10 is to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Boozad, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Boozad Win User

W10 Guest VM doesn't see Host W7 Homegroup

I've been trying in vain to get my W10 VM guest to join up to my W7 host's Homegroup, but the only options I get in the Homegroup section on W10 is to set up a new one, it's as if it's not seeing the Homegroup I already have in place through W7. I thought it would have picked it up as both machines are running but no joy. Does anybody have any ideas?

:)

Boozad, Oct 8, 2014
  2. BPZ
    BPZ Win User

port win 10 on local vm

- Bought a refurbished machine with win 10 + digital entitlement (most probably after win 8 upgrade)

- Created a vm via vmware as "image" of the physical system

- The vm win10 guest seemed to have no activation problems on win10 host

Problems come when launching the vm on linux host (same physical machine): the win10 guest is not able to activate. Besides this causes a bunch of key/mouse etc.. driver unsolvable problems.

All this was pretty easy with pid oem licences (e.g. w7). How can that be solved, if it could?

Thanks for reading

P

3. Teddy2016 Win User
    Network problems

Hi!

On the W10 machine, go to Network and sharing center > Change advanced sharing settings > Guest and Public Profiles. Turn off network discovery for Guest and Public. Turn on for private and
    Restart.

For HomeGroup let the W10 machine be the creator of the home group. If W8 is already the creator, then you have to go threw the leave home group deal.

This is from W10 and W7 network. W8 may be a hole new issue if you are using the UEFI bios.

Teddy2016, Oct 8, 2014
  4. DavidE Win User

The first time(s) I tried to join my existing Homegroup from a Win 10 VM I saw the same message.
    Sometime later I clicked on Homegroup and magically I could join the existing Homegroup.
    I have no idea what caused the change *Sad
    It is a Tech Preview version...

DavidE, Oct 8, 2014
  5. Boozad Win User
    Good point, I'll keep trying. It would just be really handy if I could access all of my files while in the VM instead of emailing them to myself all the time.

Boozad, Oct 8, 2014
  6. DavidE Win User
    I'm using VMware and I added shared folders so I can access Data folders on the PC the Host and Guest are installed on (PC1).
    If I need something from PC2, I can use the Host Homegroup to copy it to PC1 and put it in a folder shared with the W10 VM.

DavidE, Oct 8, 2014
  7. Boozad Win User
    That's exactly what I want to do, but the VM even seeing the host there's just no way I can do it. I'm still working at setting in the VM at the moment but I'm not making much headway.

Boozad, Oct 8, 2014
  8. DavidE Win User

If the VM can see Host folders, can't you also share those same folders with the Homegroup ?
    Then you should be able to go to PC2 and copy data to PC1 to a folder that the Homegroup (Host OS) can access and the VM can access.

DavidE, Oct 8, 2014
  9. Boozad Win User
    That's the trouble, I already have shared folders set so my daughters can access my music, pictures and movies but the VM doesn't even see them.

Boozad, Oct 8, 2014
  10. DavidE Win User
    Sorry, I misunderstood.
    I thought the VM could see the Host folders.

I have VMware shares set like this

W10 Guest VM doesn't see Host W7 Homegroup [​IMG]

DavidE, Oct 9, 2014
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

You might do better and forget the home group - just SHARE the relevant folders on the W10 VM and use standard sharing with "connect network drive" and re-connect at logon enabled on the W7 machines.

I've NEVER found using a HOMEGROUP very satisfactory. Ensure the shares on the W10 machine are set to SHARED in the properties (either at DISK level or at Folder level).

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 9, 2014
  12. Boozad Win User
    All sorted, thanks lads. David, you should write that method up as a tutorial.

Boozad, Oct 9, 2014
  13. DavidE Win User

DavidE, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. W10 Guest VM doesn't see Host W7 Homegroup - Similar Threads - W10 Guest doesn't

2. W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's: Hi folks So far got HYPER-V to run on a Virtual machine creating a lower level W10 VM - The W2K19 machine is itself a VM running on under KVM/QEMU So far only got Gen 1 to work -- with Gen 2 machine starts but no video - will look at that later but here's the Gen 1 VM So...
  3. Run W7 legacy software on VM under W10 or dual boot?

Run W7 legacy software on VM under W10 or dual boot?: Hi, I've got a few questions: I'm currently using Windows 7 Pro on two separate PCs and with updates no longer being provided by Microsoft I'm considering installing Windows 10. My main concern is the software I have installed that will not run under Windows 10. I've got...
  4. W7 or W10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W7 or W10: Hi everyone, I have got W10 for a while. Now I have upgraded my PC. But, Lots of part of the motherboard / sound, graphic / can't work properly, because their drivers were writing for W7. Under W10 they just work on basic level. The issue about the compatibility makes lags...
  5. KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting)

KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting): Hi there. It seems some CPU's will handle HYPER-V in a VM running on a Host where a HYPERVISOR (KVM in this case) is already running. One needs to make a few mods otherwise booting up the VM running UNDER the HYPER-V (the 2nd level VM) will freeze. I'm currently...
  6. Linux Host on external SSD with W10 and W7 VM's on 8GB laptop

Linux Host on external SSD with W10 and W7 VM's on 8GB laptop: Hi there I've seen loads of posts almost flaming me for saying running a Windows VM with VMWARE workstation or player from a Linux HOST OS booted from an external SSD would have terrible performance. (I.e boot the Linux OS and from its VMware menu--> power on--> Windows...
  7. Scanner on VM guest

Scanner on VM guest: deleted not ready to post 48121
  8. W10 as GUEST on CENTOS Rel 7 HOST -- WORKS !!!!

W10 as GUEST on CENTOS Rel 7 HOST -- WORKS !!!!: deleted - updated in another thread 3451
  9. W7 VM with NAT only sees its HOST machine on Network (VMWARE)

W7 VM with NAT only sees its HOST machine on Network (VMWARE): Hi there I have 3 computers -- one Linux HOST and two W10 HOSTS. I have a number of VM's usually using BRIDGED mode but my W7 VM only seems to work when it's using NAT. Now in NAT it only sees the HOST machine on the network. It can't see any of the other machines....
  10. "New" laptop doesn't see homegroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "New" laptop doesn't see homegroup: I have an established Homegroup which all of the other computers (all running Win 10 Home) found & joined with no problems. I am trying to add an Acer 5720Z laptop with Win 10 Pro but it says "There is currently no Homegroup on the network" and invites me to start one....