Windows 10: W10-home and -pro behave different on shared folders

Discus and support W10-home and -pro behave different on shared folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Who can tell me why W10-home shows all shared folders on the other 2 computers and the router in my home-network like I am used for years now in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jos, Sep 22, 2015.

1. JOS
    jos Win User

W10-home and -pro behave different on shared folders

Who can tell me why W10-home shows all shared folders on the other 2 computers and the router in my home-network like I am used for years now in W7-(all versions) but W10-pro only shows the shared folder on its own computer? Pinging the other 2 computers running W10-home and XP-pro and router works perfect on all computers including W10-pro. Both W10-versions are from the same ISO-DVD used to update W7-home and W7-pro and without any problems.
    I have read a lot in the internet and found this network issue over and over again. Most of the time people do not write if it is W10-home or W10-pro. So some say it works and others don't. Today again: selected the user+password option for XP-pro and it was there in seconds. I use the XP-pro for some older fine working hardware as W7 has no drivers.
    The pictures show both W10 computers with the shared folders they can offer. Only W10-Home shows them all.

Called Microsoft Netherland and they have a solution but only if I pay $125,-. That is cheap as they will look into the 3 computers for a year for that money. The chick that was helping me, as she called it , I told that she was selling instead of helping. She disagreed and got angry.

:)

2. PC2ISO Win User

How can I download W10 pro ISO?

So I have tied my W10 account to my Microsoft account, I was on W10 pro, however after using the ISO file ,on my new PC with different hardware, I have W10 home, meaning I can't activate my W10 license. I tried to redownload the ISO for this computer,
    but it doesn't give me the option to select W10 pro, just W10 home.

PC2ISO, Sep 22, 2015
  3. Digital entitlement to Product key to activate Windows 10.

I have a similar or related issue.

I upgraded to W10 Pro in September. All was fine until the motherboard and processor failed. When I replaced the hardware I am asked to activate Windows -- I have the product key from the desktop box for Windows 7 Home Prem OA which isn't working for W10
    Pro. I don't know how W10 Pro had been running six months and MS support insists that I roll back to W10. Two questions.

1. how does W10 differ from W10 Pro.

2. how is that W10 Pro could have been upgraded from Windows 7 Home Prem OA? Seems like a bait and switch.

HelpAsNeeded, Sep 22, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Is your Windows 10 Pro setup for network discovery and file sharing? Look on the Network Control Panel and see if the network connected to is listed as public or private - that's the biggest indicator. It needs to be set to private to allow network discovery and file sharing.

NavyLCDR, Sep 22, 2015
  5. JOS
    jos Win User
    Thanks for the reply and sorry, but cannot find exactly what you are pounting to. I have set both home and pro to the same network-settings all over and selected the private/home only version at startup.
    Could you add some screendumps where I have to look as I am running a Dutch version? Could it be that W10-pro has more security build in and protects the PC this way?
    By the way: as I told the lady of MS I never had any sharing problems in W7-pro she suggested to rollback W10...........

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Right click on your network icon near the clock in the task bar and select "Open Network and Sharing Center". All of your computers should say Private Network.

Klik met de rechtermuisknop op het netwerk icoon in de buurt van de klok in de taakbalk en selecteer Open Network and Sharing Center. Al uw computers moet Private Network zeggen.

NavyLCDR, Sep 23, 2015
  7. JOS
    jos Win User
    Thanks for the screendump and the translation. Beside that I am using a LAN and not a WIFI and all computers are connected via router in my home-network it looks the same on all computers.
    The only difference up to now is that W10-pro offers me a lot of settings to change running GPedit.exe where W-home does not allow me to run it.
    Started clicking on all options from the page you send me, both -home and -pro are configured the same way. In the end I stumbled over the Firewall with its many security settings I do not understand anymore as they are too complex.

Did you notice that this forum is rapidly growing with more or less the same "do not find in home network" issues?
    Why was W7-pro in a home networking running so relaxed?

8. W10-home and -pro behave different on shared folders

could you tell me how you got to name the different computers as in hp, laptop asus examp
    mine show us as destop-dkjd and desktop - blal bla exam I want them to be hippy, and cores, but I dont know how to change, I called them names when I was prompted to , but that is what they now called,
    step by step instructions would be good

jenleonard, Sep 26, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Settings - System - About (in left hand column) - Rename PC button.

NavyLCDR, Sep 26, 2015
  10. I had been pulling my hair out for 2 days,
    I am sure I not the only one had this stupid issue, usually when windows is loading the first time we get to name it , but no they again gone and made something a bit harder to do.

jenleonard, Sep 26, 2015
  11. Thanks NavyLCDR, your info fixed my issue, restart and both machines networking as I wanted, but the 3rd machine is windows 10 home and it also cant get on the network and see either of the new 2 machines, but I can see laptop from the new machines.
    So I figuring that windows 10 pro is way better than the windows 10 home at networking, and that we should not mix them together, am I right

jenleonard, Sep 26, 2015
  12. JOS
    jos Win User
    As I understand it you have two PRO's and one HOME and the Pro's see one another but the HOME is not seen on either PRO.
    Does the HOME sees both PRO's?

13. W10-home and -pro behave different on shared folders

ok so 2 machines 10pro, to start with 10home would and could not get on the same network. Problem solved by joining all 3 to homegroup then trying again with the network after restarting,

Then all 3 co - operated and work.
    Next issues,
    windows 7 cant work with the network so had do to 2 extra windows 10 installations, these 2 were just the upgrade to 10home. Added to the home group and all now co-operate with each other,

Lesson learnt, don't try and mix the windows versions.
    Thanks to all who gave advice.

You are all LEGENDS

jenleonard, Sep 28, 2015
  14. JOS
    jos Win User
    Now remember doing something like that too. Clicking around to see if I missed a setting I activated the homegroup that first offers to share pictures, music, etc. and at the bottom the printers I was looking for. After a while I got the printersharing working. But never got the shared folders showing up in Explorer in W10-pro but they do in W10-home.
    Now running W7 again discovered something that could explain the issues? On my backupdisk I find accounts in recently backuped folders showing only large number and a number of those folder are hidden too and it is greyed out so cannot be changed. Deleted those large numbers accounts. Added a USERS-account to get some control back. In the past sometimes had a access-issue but that was always easy reset using write or full controll in account permissions of that file.
    But to be honoust: in the past weeks I have tried so many options that I could have messed everything up myself as well. But I get the feeling that in W7 I am not in full control anymore on GUI level.

15. All fixed, have to join home group before any networking worked. All see each other now. But don't try and do it with windows 7 involved in the network is my advice

jenleonard, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. W10-home and -pro behave different on shared folders - Similar Threads - W10 home pro

2. W10 Pro downgrade to w10 home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    W10 Pro downgrade to w10 home: My laptop came with W10 Home preinstalled by manufacturer. I purchased a windows 10 pro product key and installed. Now selling the laptop and wish to revert to W10 home and apply W10 Pro on new laptop. Is this possible?...
  3. W10 Pro downgrade to w10 home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 Pro downgrade to w10 home: My laptop came with W10 Home preinstalled by manufacturer. I purchased a windows 10 pro product key and installed. Now selling the laptop and wish to revert to W10 home and apply W10 Pro on new laptop. Is this possible?...
  4. W10 Pro downgrade to w10 home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgrading W10 Home to W10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading W10 Home to W10 Pro: I bought a new PC and am attempting to upgrade from the W10 Home that came with the PC with a version of W10 Pro that I bought to upgrade my old PC but the new machine will not recognize the software on the flash drive containing the W10 Pro upgrade...
  6. Upgrade W10 Home to PRO ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade W10 Home to PRO ?: I'm needing a workable procdure for this upgrade. Since its been a long time since I purchased a NEW manufactured system (usually build all my own desktops), I know little in what form the machine will be in at power up. Some history first: I have just purchased a Lenovo...
  7. sharing folders on home network

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    sharing folders on home network: After update, I can no longer access shared folders on my wife's laptop from my laptop over our home network. How may I turn this on again please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-folders-on-home-network/56cc4ace-5759-47cb-b514-9c86e98307d9"
  8. W10 Home Network - File Sharing?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10 Home Network - File Sharing?: after HomeGroup was removed in April 2018, I can't figure out how to share my files/folders over a network. I went into the [properties] of each of my drives > [Sharing] > [Advanced Sharing] > set [permissions] > [Apply] then what do i do? right-click file/folder, select...
  9. Suggestions on network sharing issue - W10 Enterprise and W10 Home

Suggestions on network sharing issue - W10 Enterprise and W10 Home: I had network sharing working between these systems until a recent update was pushed to W10 Enterprise. Ever since I no longer have access from W10 Enterprise to W10 Home. All other network sharing still works include between W10 Home systems and from Roku/Android to W10...
  10. W10-pro shows W7-home but NOT W10-home in Explorer

W10-pro shows W7-home but NOT W10-home in Explorer: My W10-pro desktop does not show the W10-home on the multiboot laptop in Explorer whatever setting I use but it showed W7-home on that laptop as soon as I switched to it. I can Ping the laptop both in W7-home and W10-home. W10-home on the laptop however showes all shared...