Windows 10: W10 Home won't let me map 1 of 6 shared folders

Discus and support W10 Home won't let me map 1 of 6 shared folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a QNAP NAS box set up in RAID5 with 6 Shared folders. I have 3 computers, 2 of which have no problem mapping drives to all 6 folders (1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Manofmayo66, Apr 21, 2018.

1. W10 Home won't let me map 1 of 6 shared folders

I have a QNAP NAS box set up in RAID5 with 6 Shared folders. I have 3 computers, 2 of which have no problem mapping drives to all 6 folders (1 workstation runs W7Pro & the other W10Pro). My 3rd workstation (running W10Home) can map 5 of the 6 shared folders. The 6th shared folder it refuses to connect, asking for a new user name & password each time I try to connect (other user names don’t work either). The error message tells me to disconnect any existing mappings and try again (paraphrasing).

I have disconnected all the other shared folders, rebooted and tried again. It still won’t map the shared folder. All 6 of the shared folders on the NAS were created at the same time with the same properties and permissions.

All 3 computers are set up identically, with identical settings for network (other than static ip addresses), credentials, user access, services, anti-virus software. I am thinking it is a ‘feature’ of Windows 10 Home. If I can’t get it solved in the next 4 days, I will upgrade to W10 Pro.

:)

Manofmayo66, Apr 21, 2018
  2. HeikoHHB Win User

Homegroup not working Windows 10

Hi Mike,

I (still) have almost the same problem: Although I was able to create and join the Home Group, I see "No other computers available" in the "Home Group" section of File Explorer. This phenomenon first appeared with W10-1607. Without my PC network working
    flawlessly, I just can't do my job (it's simple as that), so this is a real problem.

Fortunately, I found a workaround as follows: With the Home Group created, I was able to establish stable connections between the PCs in my office:

1) Start File Explorer.

2) Go to "This PC" and expand the "Computer" tab.

3) Click or tab "Map network drive".

4) In the following dialogue, select the letter you want to assign to the drive you are about to map. Then, select the shared network folder you want it to point to. Click or tap “Browse” to map your network computers. Expand the computer you want to connect
    to, and select the shared folder you want to point to. Check the box "Re-connect at sign in" if this option is not already active. Leave the box "Connect using different credentials" cleared. Confirm with OK.

5) The shared folder is now shown in File Explorer, and you should be able to access the files in the folder. It can happen (sometimes after the first restart) that you are being asked for network credentials to connect to the shared folder. In this case,
    enter your credentials for log-in and check the box "Remember my credentials". Confirm with OK. You should now be able to connect and re-connect to the shared folder.

This worked for me despite the fact that there are no other Home Group devices visible. Please let me know if it works for you, too.

Good luck!

Heiko

HeikoHHB, Apr 21, 2018
  3. Teddy2016 Win User
    Not founding a computer in a private network

Hi!

I just went through and tried to connect a laptop and desktop to share printer on the desktop and 1 folder on both(Download). Just to see how. What a b*t*h!

W10pro the other W10 home 64bit but that should not matter W7 W8 W10 all use the Microsoft networking and sharing.

The only way I could achieve both being seen and access the 1 folder and use the shared printer, I had to use the home group feature. So while in the process of changing shared settings I would get missing protocol diag, tried using the diagnose diag that
    pop up, which limited the connection. Stating can't connect right now. Network path unknown. I mean what the.

After creating the home group on the desktop with the printer. I finely set the settings I wanted in advance sharing, shared the folder, and printer. Restarted both machines and it worked. Now I'm wonder what is going to happen when 1 machine is shutdown
    and started. Is the home group dynamic. I guess I'll wait and see.

Teddy2016, Apr 21, 2018
Thema:

W10 Home won't let me map 1 of 6 shared folders

1. W10 Home won't let me map 1 of 6 shared folders - Similar Threads - W10 Home won't

2. It won't let me in?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    It won't let me in?: How can I get in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/it-wont-let-me-in/65c7d072-7bb5-4cb2-8c0f-4de3440e084a
  3. It won't let me in?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    It won't let me in?: How can I get in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/it-wont-let-me-in/65c7d072-7bb5-4cb2-8c0f-4de3440e084a
  4. Microsoft store won't let me sign in with a 6 digit pin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft store won't let me sign in with a 6 digit pin: I'm trying to log in to the windows store on my son's computer with my microsoft account. After logging in with my password, it asks me for my account PIN. When I try to enter the PIN that is 6 digits long, it tries to sign me in after the 4th digit, causing the PIN to be...
  5. Why doesn't windows let me share a folder on a local home network

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why doesn't windows let me share a folder on a local home network: IO've been working on this all morning. Turning off advance passwords, adding users, making sure my microsoft account paswords in synch. Everytime it won't let me in due to credentials. Yet no matter what I do i can't give access to the credentials or anything How come it is...
  6. Windows won't let me delete a folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows won't let me delete a folder: I run VM's on my machine and share folders between the VM and my host Windows 10 laptop. Typically everything runs fine, but when I manipulate folders within the VM/host shared space, sometimes Windows locks up the folder. I say Windows because I have shut down the VMs yet...
  7. Files folder won't let me upload.

Files folder won't let me upload.: Hello, I am currently using google chrome as my default browser. When I try to upload a file ie. applying for a job I keep getting "program not responding". I am sure I tried everything, restarting computer, updating chrome and computer, drag & drop the file. Nothing seems to...
  8. Won't let me buy and download Minecraft W10 Edition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Won't let me buy and download Minecraft W10 Edition: I want to buy and download Minecraft W10 Edition on my pc (Which meets all the requirements listed on the site). The Windows Store gives me a button to redeem a code and a button to get a free trial. I asummed after downloading the trial, the store would give me a link to buy...
  9. w10 won't let me save anything anywhere but the desktop

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    w10 won't let me save anything anywhere but the desktop: I can't paste into another folder, nothing. It will not let me even though I am an administrator. Every once in a great while it will let me move something but I have to grant myself permission. I have seen other users post this exact same issue and have yet to see it...
  10. W10-home and -pro behave different on shared folders

W10-home and -pro behave different on shared folders: Who can tell me why W10-home shows all shared folders on the other 2 computers and the router in my home-network like I am used for years now in W7-(all versions) but W10-pro only shows the shared folder on its own computer? Pinging the other 2 computers running W10-home and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 wont map folder