Windows 10: W10 installs Updates even when Power>Shutdown is selected.

Discus and support W10 installs Updates even when Power>Shutdown is selected. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Almost every morning the two computers that have the ASRock Z97 Etreme6 MB's using the Intel I218-V controller are "awake". In each case a W10 update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Ken429, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Ken429 Win User

W10 installs Updates even when Power>Shutdown is selected.

Almost every morning the two computers that have the ASRock Z97 Etreme6 MB's using the Intel I218-V controller are "awake". In each case a W10 update has been installed and in each case the system had been "Power>Shutdown" the night before. I have the Wake On... option unchecked. I also have two older systems that use a Broadcom controller and they do not automatically wake up from Shutdown mode to install W10 updates. I suppose the update no matter what state the system is in is a good thing from a MSFT view point but.... is there anyway to stop this behavior short of turning the power supply off.

:)

Ken429, Oct 17, 2015

2. What is the intended normal behavior for installation of Windows 10 Updates?

Problem solved.

It turns out that Windows updates are NOT installed during shutdown if the "Fast Startup" power button option is turned on. When turned off, updates are installed during shutdown just like Windows 7. Too bad this information seems to be very difficult
    to find.

See Control Panel > Power Options > "Choose what the power button does" > "Shutdown settings" section.

bluffwood_usa, Oct 17, 2015
  3. Windows 10 won't shut down or restart

Hello dear Microsoft community!

After a fresh install of the newest version of W10, the only way to shutdown my PC is via pressing the power button for a period of time. Now this leads to some unwanted behaviour with usage and overclock stability. When selecting shutdown or entering shutdown/
    in admin console, it will initiate the process but it will stay forever in the blue screen, saying it is about to be shut down. Even after many hours it is still in this state. My BIOS is updated.

I literally did nothing after the fresh install. Loading the default BIOS values didnt help either.

So far I did numerous things trying to fix this as suggested in other threads. Changing boot order, disabling/enab. hibernate, switching power modes, updating BIOS and all drivers. It didn't help.

Despite this, I am able to install windows updates. I just have to wait until it finished the partial process and then reboot. My PC works flawlessy otherwise.

Would love some help as I can't watch youtube videos anymore before going to bed using shutdown /s /t 3600

MSI Z170

I5 6600k

GTX 960

SSD Samsung 850

MicrosoftBillGatesFanBoy, Oct 17, 2015
Thema:

W10 installs Updates even when Power>Shutdown is selected.

1. W10 installs Updates even when Power>Shutdown is selected. - Similar Threads - W10 installs Updates

2. USB Camera continues to have power even when laptop is shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Camera continues to have power even when laptop is shutdown: I am using 2 identical USB cameras on a Windows 11 laptop. When I shut down the laptop one of the cameras will power down but the other camera continues to have power. This is causing that camera to become quite hot from constant power. What do I need to do to have that...
  3. USB Camera continues to have power even when laptop is shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Camera continues to have power even when laptop is shutdown: I am using 2 identical USB cameras on a Windows 11 laptop. When I shut down the laptop one of the cameras will power down but the other camera continues to have power. This is causing that camera to become quite hot from constant power. What do I need to do to have that...
  4. PC will not power off when I select Shutdown

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC will not power off when I select Shutdown: I recently installed the latest round of updates to Windows 10 Pro on my Dell Optiplex 7040 desktop as shown below.Edition Windows 10 ProVersion 21H2Installed on ‎9/‎14/‎2020OS build 19044.1645Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack...
  5. PC will not power off when I select Shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC will not power off when I select Shutdown: I recently installed the latest round of updates to Windows 10 Pro on my Dell Optiplex 7040 desktop as shown below.Edition Windows 10 ProVersion 21H2Installed on ‎9/‎14/‎2020OS build 19044.1645Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack...
  6. PC will not power off when I select Shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. PC always restarts when selecting shutdown.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC always restarts when selecting shutdown.: The title basically explains it all. I have tried everything. Disabling fast startup, disabling wake on LAN, trying a clean boot, and nothing has succeeded. This is a brand new installation of Windows as well. Any help is appreciated, thank you. submitted by...
  8. Power shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power shutdown: Sometimes when I shutdown my ideapad s540, it won't shutdown properly. That's why the pc becomes super hot. Any suggestion what to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-shutdown/be2b658e-fc29-4438-b6a4-bdc9cfc48726
  9. Power Shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power Shutdown: Loaded Windows 10 recently. Now it shuts down unexpectantly and must manually reboot. Slow coming up, needs help at times.What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/power-shutdown/4c522aac-dc94-4939-8804-ca411bcfd3cf
  10. Windows keeps logging me in even when I select shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows keeps logging me in even when I select shutdown: Dear members, I've enabled autologin on my system. However since a while, every time I select shutdown, the system justs logs me off and immediately logs back on. When I disable autologon, I get the logon screen. The same happens when I choose the "sleep" option....