Windows 10: W10 is fine --but is Linux so different now - All GUI's look similar

Discus and support W10 is fine --but is Linux so different now - All GUI's look similar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there Not wanting to get into Linux Vs W10 wars -- but here's a desktop from my old server running Centos 7 with a W10 VM working --it looks just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Feb 10, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

W10 is fine --but is Linux so different now - All GUI's look similar

Hi there

Not wanting to get into Linux Vs W10 wars -- but here's a desktop from my old server running Centos 7 with a W10 VM working --it looks just like XP !!!! and operationally is no different really to Windows although infinitely more configurable.

Modern GUI's are all approaching each other that I expect in a few years a typical user wouldn't have a clue about the OS if simply presented with the Interface or GUI.

I have to admit though the XFS file system beats NTFS hands down for reliability, speed and recovery. Even on a spinner it's fine --but on an SSD itr absolutely flies.

W10 is fine --but is Linux so different now - All GUI's look similar [​IMG]

Cheers

jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 10, 2016
  2. Highside Win User

Windows 10 AE, Microsoft Security Client Error code: 0x80070426

Radney, you have just wasted 10 minutes of my time.

That is how long it took me to realise that the thread you referred me to is a different error on a different operating system and describes steps that are impossible to take in my case.

The only similarity is the error number itself.

In my case it is the Microsoft Security Client that is flagging the error on 64-bit W10

The thread you refer to is describing a Windows Activation Error on Vista over 7 years ago.

This is a completely different error.

I looked at the suggested solution anyway, which is to start a "Software Licencing" service that existed on Vista but does not seem to exist on W10.

It is depressing to see the guys that we hope know what they are talking about behaving so cluelessly and it is irritating to have my time wasted like this.

Highside, Feb 10, 2016
  3. N95 modem not working with USB extension cable

It's been a while now. The problem is still apparent on Windows, though I thought I'd mention that it works fine on Arch Linux (2.6.34 kernel) with default drivers. Maybe Linux handles things a bit differently which works around a hardware issue, or maybe
    something is wrong with my Windows setup. If anyone's got any new suggestions I'll be here W10 is fine --but is Linux so different now - All GUI's look similar :)

I've also found that large download speeds/many requests will help cause the connection to choke. If I limit my dl-speed (when downloading a large file) to about 50kB/s it's usually fine, and I can complete the download without problems. It's also fine when
    I just browse around the web and avoid watching videos or similar, and don't open too many tabs at once.

So it seems like the poor phone can't handle continous demanding network tasks on Windows, as for now. I'll stick to Linux for a while W10 is fine --but is Linux so different now - All GUI's look similar :)

thisismyalias---01, Feb 10, 2016
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Linux is trying way to hard to be just like Windows. IMO, they should try harder to be different and not like Windows.

BunnyJ, Feb 10, 2016
  5. It's a double-edged sword. The more Linux tries to be accessible to the masses, the more "Windows-like" it becomes. If it is too different, you may not attract many people.

DeaconFrost, Feb 10, 2016
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    Let's be honest.. Linux has such a small user base that it would make sense to me to make it more unique. How many people even know about it to begin with and what distribution to use first. Some say they'll switch but I wonder how many really do.

Linux is really not a mainstream OS, IMO. It's a nice niche OS that should be more unique.

BunnyJ, Feb 10, 2016
  7. It's a very fair point. I'm just saying that if they (Linux distro creators) want to build their user base, that's the unfortunate path they have to take. I'm in the boat of wanting to learn Linux, but I'm just getting the time to devote to learning something so different.

DeaconFrost, Feb 10, 2016
  8. BunnyJ New Member

I agree with your point and keeping a similar UI is not a bad idea but for me I would like to see one distribution that is different.

BunnyJ, Feb 10, 2016
  9. Why are you saying you want to see them make it different, when you also said in another thread that you tried it
    and would never use it again ?

You also said they were trying too hard to make it look like windows, now your say :

" keeping a similar UI is not a bad idea "

Interesting how you change from one thread to another.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Feb 10, 2016
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi folks

You can make the thing look like anything you want -- the pic I gave was with the KDE desktop (there are loads of other GUI's available such as Mint, Gnome, Etc)-- I'm re-building this box as a NAS box so [ I don't even need a GUI on it at all and it will run headless -- I was just saying I could create a desktop that a typical Joe wouldn't know (or even Care) if he/she were running Windows, IOS or whatever. !!! It was just an exercise to point out how everything seems to be converging to a common point.

Ms though is beginning to play nice with all sorts of 3rd party stuff -- the "containers" idea seems to be a great one.

As I said I DO like W10 - and think it will be a great OS -- my main beef with it is it's a real pain to guarantee that networking works 100% of the time --judging by the Forum posts Ms still has a lot of work to do in this area.

Centos actually isn't a huge player for the typical masses - it's the opensource version of RED HAT servers which are used hugely (even by Ms) in big networks / cloud servers etc. I like it though --really stable -- never had a single crash on it --ever !! which is what I can't say about windows !!! -but it takes a bit more work to get it to behave nicely as a workstation desktop - you have to add all sorts of stuff for multi-media etc but well worth it once you've got it all workinhg --HUGELY STABLE !!! . Things like Linux mint works usually straight out of the box but you pay another price for that as it's not backed up by a huge Multi national corporation.

What Windows does absolutely magnificently is often identify obsecure hardware --I've often booted up Windows just to get hardware driver info -- maybe the Supreme OS would be one with Linux GUI flexibilty and Networking with the Windows excellent Hardware detection !!!!!!,

(Even on 'Nix Forums people often suggest booting intom Windows when there's a hardware problem !!!!) Now that's a turn round for the book.!!!

chees
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 10, 2016
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    I didn't like it due to the UI, but overall it's a good OS.

BunnyJ, Feb 10, 2016
  12. WHS
    whs Win User
    It took me 2 years to find the right distro - the one I like. I now settled for Mint Mate. It suits my purposes. If Linux wants to become mainstream, they will have to agree on one or two distros. But I guess that is not the idea. They prefer to stay niche.

13. BunnyJ New Member

I'll give that one a try later on and see what I think of it. I used Mint before and it's really not that bad.
    The main reason that I don't like Linux is the UI is too close to Windows and I really need to put more time into learning how to make the most use of it.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Feb 10, 2016
  14. WHS
    whs Win User
    I use it mainly for the internet work. It is supposed to be safer. And the browsers are the same. So there is not a lot to learn.

15. I agree, I did not find any learning curve at all.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Feb 10, 2016
Thema:

1. W10 is fine --but is Linux so different now - All GUI's look similar - Similar Threads - W10 fine Linux

2. Looking for RoboCopy GUI and RichCopy

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Looking for RoboCopy GUI and RichCopy: I was troubleshooting somebody else's computer and needed to back up their files while excluding some stuff. Microsoft used to put out a free utility called RoboCopy GUI that helped setting up the parameters for robocopy and made it easier to copy/paste pathnames when setting...
  3. Looking for RoboCopy GUI and RichCopy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Looking for RoboCopy GUI and RichCopy: I was troubleshooting somebody else's computer and needed to back up their files while excluding some stuff. Microsoft used to put out a free utility called RoboCopy GUI that helped setting up the parameters for robocopy and made it easier to copy/paste pathnames when setting...
  4. Looking for RoboCopy GUI and RichCopy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Looks Like Linux? Smooth edges, different cursor, different windows icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Looks Like Linux? Smooth edges, different cursor, different windows icon: I'm a Windows user and I'm looking for a new pleasing look for my system. I saw this video in my recommendations on YouTube, it was about something illegal reason being I've blurred /covered all application details so no one uses them.I've highlighted the main things that...
  6. Kali Linux on Windows in 5min (WSL 2 GUI)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Kali Linux on Windows in 5min (WSL 2 GUI): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/scadonl [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iq8t11/kali_linux_on_windows_in_5min_wsl_2_gui/
  7. similarities and differences program needed

similarities and differences program needed: I need a "similarities and differences" program to to note both, preferably side by side. Such as comparing folders Windows and windows.old Going through 100,000 files by hand is slow going. Any thoughts? Thanks 134246
  8. Looking For An App That's Exactly Similar To JPEGCrops

Looking For An App That's Exactly Similar To JPEGCrops: Hello, there's an app that loads a whole folder of jpg images as a batch of images within the program. Here are screenshots of that: JPEGCrops - Screenshots I am looking for an app that's exactly similar to this, yet more updated and is a project that has no bugs nor...
  9. windows 10 did an update and now my desktop and browsers all look different

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 did an update and now my desktop and browsers all look different: Windows updated my computer and I did not have any sound. It took hours and several people to correct this and it was not easy. Also the update changed the appearance of my desk top, task bar, and browsers. I don't know what else has changed. At this point I am so frustrated...
  10. SKYPE for Linux working fine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    SKYPE for Linux working fine: Hi folks Those of you using Linux that have .RPM package managers (Red Hat, Centos, Opensuse, Fedora) or .DEB (ubuntu etc) Binaries are available for SKYPE for Linux and provided your microphone and/or webcams work it's fine and interface looks just like the Classic Skype...