Windows 10: W10 newby, grieving loss of WLFG or WFG

Discus and support W10 newby, grieving loss of WLFG or WFG in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello All, There's an old thread about W10 not having Windows Live Photo Gallery and I was excited about the idea to dload W Essentials, but MS has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by gg0709, Mar 18, 2017.

1. gg0709 Win User

W10 newby, grieving loss of WLFG or WFG

Hello All,

There's an old thread about W10 not having Windows Live Photo Gallery and I was excited about the idea to dload W Essentials, but MS has disabled the dload link.
    I am in process of transitioning to a brand new laptop running W10 and disappointed about losing WLFG*Eek. There are a gazillion pics on my W7 desktop that are tagged, and I need to figure how to import them into a similar W10 photo org app. I am not a professional photographer but do use WLFG's face recognition & tagging features to find pics for the video slideshows and collages I create.
    It seems others have been where I'm at right now and can surely understand my frustration. I am hoping that folks on this forum can help me find a good alternative to WLFG. Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom and insight!

G.

:)

gg0709, Mar 18, 2017

2. Nokia obituary

Spot on, that's how I feel. I do feel cheated, it feels like contempt. Customers do develop an attachment to brand and can feel very hurt and let down by displays of contempt and disregard. Nokia's brand value will sink like a ship until they lift their
    game.

geturactogether, Mar 18, 2017
  3. I have lost my phone. When I click on "Find My Phone" it does not take to me a map. Why. Please help me find it before the battery runs out.

Thank you for asking, but no I was not able to track the phone. The battery ran out before the "find my phone service" would work. My wife is grieving the loss of a year's worth of pictures. Now we will have to purchase another phone. Do you know of
    any way to locate it once the battery expires?

JeffBarbrick, Mar 18, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

Depending on what browser you use...as for photo integration, I use Google Photos. It will sync all your photo's/video's and anything else you want to select and save them to the cloud. It has a bunch of features and I do believe it has a tagging system (I haven't tried or checked).

Plankton, Mar 18, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @gg0709

The download links in this post for Windows Essentials 2012 (which includes Photo Gallery) still work (for how much longer is uncertain).
    Windows Essentials 2012 will reach end of support on January 10th 2017

Download the offline installer, the web installer will useless if/when Microsoft get round to pulling this download too.

6. gg0709 Win User
    Thank you for the replies.

I don't have a strong technical background, not sure what I'll be getting myself into if WLPG is so totally unsupported? It seems also that WServer 2008 is required for a W10 install, and I don't know what the implications of that are.

I've trolled the web for alternative apps and Fotobounce has face recognition features--Has anyone any experience with this app?

I'll be grateful for additional feedback.

gg0709, Mar 18, 2017
  7. pbcopter Win User
    Where do you see that Windows Server 2008 is required?

pbcopter, Mar 18, 2017
  8. gg0709 Win User

Windows Essentials 2012 requires the following:

• Operating system. 32- or 64-bit version of Windows 7, or 32- or 64-bit version of Windows 8, or Windows Server 2008 R2.
    • Processor. 1.6 GHz or higher with SSE2 support. SSE2 is supported on Pentium 4 processors or newer, and AMD K8 processors or newer.
    • Memory. 1 GB of RAM or higher
    • Resolution. 1024 × 576 minimum
    • Internet connection. Online services require dial-up or high-speed Internet access (provided separately—local or long-distance charges might apply). High-speed Internet access is recommended for some features.

gg0709, Mar 18, 2017
  9. DavidY Win User
    I don't have it in front of me right now to check, but I've an idea that some part of Windows Essentials installs SQL Server (perhaps Compact edition)?

DavidY, Mar 18, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    That's just the list of operating systems it can be installed on. All it's saying it won't run on Vista or anything older. Those were the available OS in 2012, it will run on 8.1 and 10 as well - it says 'or' Windows Server 2008, not 'must be'.

11. lx07 Win User
  12. Phone Man Win User
    That's and outdated version.
    My system shows 16.4.3528.331 and it may be old also.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Mar 18, 2017
  13. lx07 Win User

I installed it from there a couple of weeks ago and it has upgraded itself to same version as you. Guess that is the latest (last) version.

14. If you install live essentials don't use the live screensaver. I didn't like the dull featureless screensaver for your photos that comes with windows 10 so I used the live photo gallery one as I loved it in windows 7. However it screwed up my desktop icons every time it kicked in by re arranging them (at least it did in my machine). That was a long time ago but I haven't touched it since.

Scottyboy99, Mar 18, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
Thema:

1. W10 newby, grieving loss of WLFG or WFG - Similar Threads - W10 newby grieving

2. Newbie

in Windows 10 Support
    Newbie: Hi Guys and Girls my name is Kerrigan ( for short) I have never posted here yet but I do drop in from time to time. I run a windows 10 machine with reasonably high specs. I live in a beautiful part of Western Australia called Mandurah which is about an hours drive from our...
  3. newbie question

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    newbie question: If I set up a Windows 10 VM on a Windows 10 Pro system and install Windows 7 Pro on the VM (need to run legacy programs like CorelDraw X4, WordPerfect X4, etc.) , and then network that system to another Windows 10 Pro system, will I have problems with any of the following:...
  4. Some guidance please on updates for W10 newbie

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Some guidance please on updates for W10 newbie: I am new to W10 (Professional version 1809). I know there are tutorials and threads on updates but I need to ask this from my particular experience. Last night I was using the computer when the screen went blue, some updates took place (I cannot remember what it said but I...
  5. Some guidance please on updates for W10 newbie

in Windows 10 Support
    Some guidance please on updates for W10 newbie: I am new to W10 (Professional version 1809). I know there are tutorials and threads on updates but I need to ask this from my particular experience. Last night I was using the computer when the screen went blue, some updates took place (I cannot remember what it said but I...
  6. OneDrive (newbie)

in Windows 10 Customization
    OneDrive (newbie): I have two PCs, PC1 is the archive or root memory, and has the OneDrive application activated for cloud access. I sit at PC2 and wish to access PC1 files. Do I log on to PC2 with same user account associated with PC1? Then will all PC1 files (cloud copy) would be available...
  7. newbie

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    newbie: I have a laptop with genuine Windows default his laptop then I bring my laptop to the computer worker after the Windows OS check is changed to not original, how do I restore the windows to the original version? Because recovery is deleted thank you...
  8. Log of internet losses in W10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Log of internet losses in W10?: Been having problems with our connection with AT&T fiber - AT&T BGW210-700 gateway: frequent power recycles and Broadband recycles. Very frustrating when trying to do anything on the internet. Wondering if there is any W10 internal log that would give me the dates and times...
  9. A newbie question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A newbie question: I am no gamer. The only video game console I have is Play Station 2. Enough said. I have an Irulu 9" 16GB Android 4.4 tablet and a Surface RT tablet. Irulu has a micro USB port while Surface RT has a 2.0 USB port. I am wondering if there is a game control ( like the one...
  10. W10 newbie Q: re disksnapshot

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 newbie Q: re disksnapshot: Hello Ten, I found Solved disksnapshot.exe? - Windows 10 Forums and I found What does disksnapshot.exe do? and what is it? - WindowsInstructed. I'm wondering, what does Windows do with the snapshot taken to check the health of the disk. Does Windows record or report disk...