Windows 10: W10 pretty blue screen with circling dots on boot up/restart

Discus and support W10 pretty blue screen with circling dots on boot up/restart in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Lenovo Y500 laptop takes hours to boot but then appears to run normally. It's been doing this for quite a while, I just haven't taken the time to try... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by speedlever, Sep 27, 2016.

1. W10 pretty blue screen with circling dots on boot up/restart

Lenovo Y500 laptop takes hours to boot but then appears to run normally. It's been doing this for quite a while, I just haven't taken the time to try to track down the culprit.

This is my daughter's laptop. Came as a Win8 or Win8.1 laptop and took the free upgrade to W10 when it first became available. AFAIK, it ran normally for a long time. I learned about the lengthy boot issue long after it began so I have no idea what caused/es this lengthy boot.

It is repeatable. I have a pretty blue screen with the circling dots. Right now it's been going for about 90 minutes or so. I expect it will be operational within the next hour or so.

How would I go about tracking down the culprit? I'm tempted to wipe it and put Win 8.1 back on it, but I guess I would lose the free upgrade to Win 10 (if you can call it that).

I honestly much prefer Win 8.1 using Classic shell in place of the Metro interface. Regardless, W10 is the future going forward so I would like to fix this if I can. Any suggestions how to proceed?

:)

speedlever, Sep 27, 2016
  2. The_Kid97 Win User

W10 keeps rebooting after upgrade

W10 recently updated my OS. At one point I received the blue screen with the circle of dots spinning and a % complete indicated and counting up. While waiting overnight for the update to complete, my computer went into sleep mode. I was unable to get
    it out of sleep mode - I kept getting the blue screen with the spinning circle of dots (and not indication of update completion %) or would get to the screen where you enter in your password, but before I can enter it in, the screen goes back to the blue screen
    with spinning dots; or I get to the screen where you can enter the password, but the area where you enter your password is blank - no date entry field - just the black screen with a window on the right hand side and the network/accessibility/power icons in
    the lower right - all of which are functional. I've tried to do the reboot in safe mode by holding 'shift' and clicking restart but it just goes back to the blue screen with spinning circle. I don't know how else I can boot into safe mode. I had not set
    up a boot cd or usb previous. Thank you.

The_Kid97, Sep 27, 2016
  3. kekaAZ Win User
    Windows 10 won't get past logo screen after last critical update

Aaaaand we're back to the same old thing again. This morning, no blue HP screen, no disk drive, black logo screen but no dot circle, no boot up.

Gee this is fun. Every morning, a little guessing game. Will it boot up or will I have to restart? Sigh...

kekaAZ, Sep 27, 2016
  4. W10 pretty blue screen with circling dots on boot up/restart

This issue is now resolved. I was working it the other day and finally got the W10 anniversary update (1607) to install. Once this completed, the laptop was back to normal boot times and operation.

One thing I noticed, I was using Avira free AV and it had NOT updated in a long time (perhaps as long as this boot issue had been going on... but I dunno). I uninstalled Avira since it was so out of date and the Windows 10 update then installed (I seem to recall the 1607 update pending through several reboots before I uninstalled the problem AV). After the update was complete, I installed Avast free and all has been running normally since then.

I don't know if the Avira issue directly affected the bootup time and slow response and/or the update issue, or if that was coincidental. I've always had pretty good luck with Avira or Avast, although there was a time when Avast caused a laptop issue that Avira fixed, which is why I moved to Avira in the first place. Regardless, I'm back to Avast now and all is working well.

speedlever, Sep 29, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Glad to hear it. Unfortunately a number of reports of long logins and circling dots, as you know.

You can still use Classic Shell on Win 10... I and a good many others here do. There's no difficulty - or should be no difficulty - in installing it. Win 10's menu is utterly useless to me as I have a large categorised start menu with subfolders; it strips the shortcuts from the folders and displays them alphabetically. (Think Help Help Help Help..... Readme Readme Readme...).

W10 pretty blue screen with circling dots on boot up/restart [​IMG]

dalchina, Sep 29, 2016
  6. mrgeek Win User
    Glad to hear your issue is resolved. It is ALWAYS a good idea before a major Upgrade to disable, or even better, uninstall 3rd party antivirus programs. It is a known issue from the introduction of Windows 10. Easy enough to reinstall, if you don't like Defender.

mrgeek, Sep 29, 2016
  7. Thanks dalchina. For some reason, it never crossed my mind to use Classic Shell when I moved from 8.1 to 10. Hmm. *Wink

mrgeek, I've never disabled or uninstalled an AV program prior to general updates. I don't even see the option in W10 to let me choose when to install updates. Looks like you can only choose to schedule or not the restart. At not in any options that I've found yet.

speedlever, Sep 29, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

W10 pretty blue screen with circling dots on boot up/restart

Restarts in the anniversary edition are limited by 'active hours' - which annoyingly isn't found as such by searching Settings. This allows you to specify up to a 12 hour period in which restarts are not permitted.

My experience: even if the restart
    - first occurs during the active hours period, it is not applied after the end of it
    - first occurs outside the active hours period, does not occur automatically.

In both cases I'm notified of a pending restart.

If a restart is pending, you can specify that active hours is overridden.

Further: using a utility like 'Don't Sleep' (free) to constrain restart/sleep/hibernate probably offers a further option.

dalchina, Sep 29, 2016
  9. mrgeek Win User
    "I've never disabled or uninstalled an AV program prior to general updates."

I was not referring to general Windows updates but major Upgrades like 1511 or 1607 which were essentially an OS reinstall or if you're doing an in-place Repair or Upgrade from an ISO. No different than program installs asking you to disable antivirus before executing. They may block or quarantine essential files that they've never seen.

mrgeek, Sep 29, 2016
  10. That's all well and good, but how is one to differentiate between "normal" and "major" OS upgrades? And if you leave the PC unattended long enough, it's going to reboot on its own anyway. Or such has been my experience. I leave my PC on 24/7.

speedlever, Sep 30, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Pro & Enterprise versions allow you to defer upgrades (e.g. 1511, 1607....) as distinct from updates.

Further: using a utility like 'Don't Sleep' (free) to constrain restart/sleep/hibernate probably offers a further option...
    to stop your PC restarting

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

W10 pretty blue screen with circling dots on boot up/restart

1. W10 pretty blue screen with circling dots on boot up/restart - Similar Threads - W10 pretty blue

2. Stuck On Restarting With Dots Circling

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck On Restarting With Dots Circling: I bought a new laptop, but it was defective. So I decided to return the laptop since it had all of my information; I had to restart without backing my files. The percentage of the restart was fine. The problem is that the laptop screen has been stuck on restarting with the...
  3. Windows will not boot, black screen with circling dots no matter what I do.

Windows will not boot, black screen with circling dots no matter what I do.: I am really lost on what to do. About 10 days ago I got a message in windows saying some files were corrupted, I did a system reset kept my files and I've been running fine since then. Until today, when I turned on my PC and encountered the dreaded black screen with the...
  4. Black screen with cursor/black screen with circling white dots when booting up after...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen with cursor/black screen with circling white dots when booting up after...: So I bought a pre built pc about a year ago and decided to upgrade my pc’s motherboard as the one that came with the pre built wasn’t great. I replaced the motherboard with a ASUS Prime Z370-AII and installed all the components into the motherboard...however, when I boot up...
  5. white circling dots on blue and black screen

white circling dots on blue and black screen: When booting up win 10 on laptop, it goes through this sequence - computer logo on black screen with white circling dots, then black screen with white circling dots, then blue screen same and please wait, then login, then login screen, white circling dots and welcome....
  6. Black Screen with circling Dots

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black Screen with circling Dots: I have been having trouble with windows 10. One of the articles suggested to hold down the start button 3 times and start the PC 3 times. I did and the screen started going through stages of fixing. The Screen went black with the circling dots for the last 6 hours or so. I...
  7. W10 Login screen Circle with I in it and flashing circle next to it

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    W10 Login screen Circle with I in it and flashing circle next to it: W10 Login screen Circle with I in it and flashing circle next to it at left wont allow user to type anything. It is a HP all in 1 touch screen. You cant type in the pw box the blank circle next to the one with the "I" in it flashes. See pic? any ideas? [img] 50150
  8. Logon screen problem, blue screen with dots circle after Ann. Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Logon screen problem, blue screen with dots circle after Ann. Update: Running anniversary update here... I start my computer, then it loads until I get the main screen (with the clock and date), where I can choose my username and enter my password ( I have 5 users). Sometimes when clicking or typing enter, I can choose a user, type in my...
  9. Unable to boot- stuck on blue screen with spinning dots.

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to boot- stuck on blue screen with spinning dots.: I returned home from work today to find that my computer won't boot. Great, it's going to one of those weeks... After the bios screen and the windows 10 logo, the computer hangs on the following screen, blue background with the spinning white dots. It looks like it's trying...
  10. Spinning Dots at Boot Up

in Windows 10 Support
    Spinning Dots at Boot Up: I have win 10 x64 on a Dell XPS 8700. It had Win 8.1. Been on Win 10 since release. Today my son went to reboot the computer and at boot, just got spinning dots. He turned it off, same thing. Got to a diagnostic and it said it could not repair. So I decided to use Acronis...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. w10 not booting up only black screen and cirling dot