Windows 10: W10 Pro Start menu problems - can't pin and (almost) empty User menu

Discus and support W10 Pro Start menu problems - can't pin and (almost) empty User menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey. A couple of issues with W10 start menu ( - not sure if they're symptoms of the same thing. This is GA x64 W10 with all current updates installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Andi, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Andi Win User

W10 Pro Start menu problems - can't pin and (almost) empty User menu

Hey. A couple of issues with W10 start menu ( - not sure if they're symptoms of the same thing. This is GA x64 W10 with all current updates installed

1) Pin to start menu doesn't pin anything to the start menu. I wanted to pin File History - R click in control panel, select Pin to Start - doesn't pin. Tested on another machine and it works there.

2) R click the Start button for the Power User menu - all I see is Network Connections - same result with Win X. Again, works as expected on another install.

Any ideas to save me doing a re-install?

Edit - SFC reports no violations.

Edit - switched to a local account on the machine and PU menu is there and working - so is this a permissions thing? My original account is admin.

:)

Andi, Aug 6, 2015

2. Can't pin to start menu/taskbar (SOMETIMES)

Ok I have been having problem pinning to the start menu since upgrading from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro but have been ignoring it but it finally can to rest as an annoying problem.

The other day I upgraded Office 2013 to Office 365. After the installation was complete none of the short cuts were in my start menu or the all app list. I found the directory where they were installed and start clicking Add to start and add to task bar.
    All the application pinned to start except Word, but I could pin it to the task bar. On the other account only a couple office application would pin to either. I ran a repair on office it did not help.

I was thinking it was a problem with office but now I am having other programs do this so it must be a Windows 10 issue (my computer).

Today I tried to pin Hyper-V manager to the start menu, it would not pin. Pinning to the taskbar worked just fine.

I can't really find a pattern to what will pin where and what won't.

I have run the scan disk and the repair and also the Dism cleanup-image and restorehealth.

Any other suggestions?

*** Edit

Ok looking a the file system the shortcuts seem to be there but I can't see them in the start menu. Is there a way to reset just the start menu or refresh it? I am assuming the shortcuts for the start menu are at the following location.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

John J. Hughes II, Aug 6, 2015
  3. Plea for help to find Outlook (the start menu isn't working)

Thank you Sahil. It's Outlook 2007 (there isn't a shortcut button on the desktop or pinned to the task bar, so given that the start menu is empty I can't get to it). Help!

Mick-the-mooch, Aug 6, 2015
  4. Andi Win User

Win X menu problem resolved by copying win X group files from users/default appdata to users/me appdata.

Andi, Aug 6, 2015
Thema:

1. W10 Pro Start menu problems - can't pin and (almost) empty User menu - Similar Threads - W10 Pro Start

2. Start Menu is completely empty.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu is completely empty.: For a while now my start menu has been completely empty I tried DISM and SFC tools but they didn't do anything. I also tried restarting windows explorer and I tried restarting my laptop ALOT. The Task Menu is fine and nothing is wrong with it, the only problem is that the...
  3. Another User: Taskbar Empty, Apps/Start Menu Not Starting

in Windows 10 Support
    Another User: Taskbar Empty, Apps/Start Menu Not Starting: Hello, So I recently updated my computer to 20H2 (W10 Pro 19042.630). Also, I removed the video card (GTX 670) and blew out dust from inside the case. Long story short. What's not happening is that when I login to any account, that account loads just fine. But when I attempt...
  4. Can't pin clock on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't pin clock on Start Menu: When I open the Alarm and Clock app, go to the Clock tab and select the time I want to pin to Start Menu it doesn't show up. If I select to pin it again, it will give me the option to unpin it from the Star Menu, even though it's not pinned. So basically the system it's...
  5. Windows start menu is empty

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows start menu is empty: Some time ago I suddenly lost all menu tiles. I can create new tiles but all previous tiles are gone. I've created new ones for the programs I frequently use but nothing for those programs I seldom use. Does anyone know what caused this? Years ago before I retired I seem to...
  6. Problem in the start menu on W10

Problem in the start menu on W10: Hello everyone, I have Windows 10 PRO updated to may update and subsequent patches. In the last few days, an annoying problem is happening to me. When I turn on the PC and enter into Windows, the start menu is not selectable (in the sense that I click on the windows icon...
  7. Start menu pin icon problem

Start menu pin icon problem: Hello dear , after i'm install new version of windows 10 , my start menu icon not showing correctly . when i unpin this icon of below picture , after restart it's come back , when i need pin the app like the twitter , not pin and not showing the app . when click this app...
  8. Can't pin apps to start-menu.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't pin apps to start-menu.: Is this really a limitation for win10? Obviously apps can be pinned as tiles, but it's impossible to pin them to the left area? *Huh It seems that only a select list of folders can be pinned there, but not apps, or any personal folders. You're stuck with some automated...
  9. Problem pinning apps to the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem pinning apps to the start menu: I posted this on the MS support forum . Can't pin programs to the Start Menu in Windows 10, unless they are present in the "All apps" menu. Neither by drag & drop, nor by right-clicking and selecting "Pin To Start". Received this reply.. wonderded if it was a known...
  10. Empty menu start

in Windows 10 Support
    Empty menu start: Hello, since I remember i had problem with menu start on W10 - before format and now. after format I didn't seen problem untill i istalled uTorrent. I uninstalled it, restarted PC and it still looks like that. That's how it looks: [img] Unfortunately i forgot to set...