Windows 10: W10 purchased from Microsoft store = OEM or 'Retail'?

Discus and support W10 purchased from Microsoft store = OEM or 'Retail'? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It's not entirely crystal clear, I have an OEM install of W7 upgraded to W10 at the moment so my W10 is OEM. I'm looking at changing motherboard in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by adsrox0r, Aug 7, 2015.

1. adsrox0r Win User

W10 purchased from Microsoft store = OEM or 'Retail'?

It's not entirely crystal clear, I have an OEM install of W7 upgraded to W10 at the moment so my W10 is OEM. I'm looking at changing motherboard in the near future so I'd end up having to buy another copy of W10.

Now, I could buy an OEM copy from a UK retailer for £79. Or I can got to the Microsoft Store and pay £99 for a W10 Home 'download' version. What it doesn't say is whether this is an OEM copy tied to one device or a 'retail' that can be installed as many times as I like if I change motherboard/PC.

:)

adsrox0r, Aug 7, 2015

2. transfer my retail digital license to a new machine void of any OS

I want to transfer my W10 Pro retail version
    that I purchased from an authorized reseller - originally purchased as 8.1 and now has a digital license after upgrading to W10 - to a new machine , one w/o any OS. I had partitioned my drive to accommodate
    W 10 Home OEM and the Pro version. My primary partition on this machine is W10 Home OEM.

RobertArnow, Aug 7, 2015
  3. windows 10 activation key

If you purchased Windows 10 from the Microsoft Store or Amazon.com, it is a full retail license.

If it came preinstalled on your computer, then it is a OEM license.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 7, 2015
  4. bobjoe Win User

If you have W7 OEM version and you change motherboards, just call MS and tell them you had a system failure. MS is pretty lenient and they will probably reactivate your OEM key.

bobjoe, Aug 7, 2015
  5. bobjoe Win User
    But to answer your question, the only version MS sells through their site is the Full Retail version. They come in USB drives, not DVDs. (Stupid idea, IMO)

bobjoe, Aug 7, 2015
  6. YOU
    You Win User
    USB drives are faster and less prone to breaking than DVDs, and don't need to have a disc drive in order to install Windows 10 (this is useful for netbooks or some laptops).

7. Ztruker Win User
    If you can find a USB to ISO program I'd do that just so I can have the ISO saved somewhere in case the flash drive dies.

Ztruker, Aug 7, 2015
  8. W10 purchased from Microsoft store = OEM or 'Retail'?

When I built my system (originally with a 3570K & Z77 MB) I put in a DVD drive so I could install Win 7, but that's the only time I've ever used the drive.
    It would have made more sense for it to be on USB, so I could have bypassed the purchase of the DVD drive altogether.

fracking4oil, Aug 7, 2015
  9. Mystere Win User
    Whether or not that actually works, it's still illegal to do so.

Mystere, Aug 7, 2015
  10. chiko Win User
    Let's call it a challenge to the provisions of the End User License Agreement. Illegal seems a bit strong. And if the company representative reauthorizes it then all is good.

chiko, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. W10 purchased from Microsoft store = OEM or 'Retail'? - Similar Threads - W10 purchased Microsoft

2. How to purchase a window OEM key from microsoft

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to purchase a window OEM key from microsoft: How to purchase a window OEM key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-purchase-a-window-oem-key-from-microsoft/b23a3280-f594-44f1-ba8e-315625551a2c
  3. Windows - Retail or OEM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows - Retail or OEM: Hi! I got a 6 year old computer from one company. Windows has been removed from it, so I should buy new Windows and install them. Which version should I buy - OEM or Retail. Someone tells me: To be legal you need to buy Retail. Why OEM is not legal in this case?...
  4. OEM to Retail

OEM to Retail: I have OEM version of Windows 10 Home activated in my pc. Now I want to activate my Windows retail key with the same PC, Motherboard and everything [nothing's changed]. Is it possible?...
  5. Microsoft store OEM license or Retail license

Microsoft store OEM license or Retail license: Is the Windows 10 USB product on the microsoft store an OEM license or a Retail license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-store-oem-license-or-retail-license/46f89348-83e1-42ae-9596-da45958257ca
  6. Oem to retail

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Oem to retail: My friend has an old pre-built with an oem windows 10 licence, and based on the internet, it’s a 50-50 shot when upgrading hardware. Is it possible to get a retail windows 10 home from Microsoft and use that to activate windows 10 from oem to retail, then upgrade his...
  7. Oem to retail

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Oem to retail: My friend has an old pre-built with an oem windows 10 licence, and based on the internet, it’s a 50-50 shot when upgrading hardware. Is it possible to get a retail windows 10 home from Microsoft and use that to activate windows 10 from oem to retail, then upgrade his...
  8. Is Windows 10 on microsoft.com store retail or OEM?

Is Windows 10 on microsoft.com store retail or OEM?: I was wondering if Windows 10 on microsoft.com store is retail version or OEM https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-windows-10-on-microsoftcom-store-retail-or-oem/6def1382-e8eb-47ea-86ba-fd68560dfa57"
  9. oem to retail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    oem to retail: I recently bought a windows 10 oem version and had meant to buy a retail version, the license has not been activated or used at all, is it possible to pay some extra to upgrade to a retail version?...
  10. How To Tell Proper W10 Home Retail From OEM/I?

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Tell Proper W10 Home Retail From OEM/I?: I have found a very good price for an English International Windows 10 Home, supposadly KW9-00017. However, the seller seems to be under the impression that it might be OEM/OEI which is why it is about 40 cheaper than usual. What specific questions can I ask him to determine...