Windows 10: W10 rearranging my windows and taskbar after screensaver/sleep

Discus and support W10 rearranging my windows and taskbar after screensaver/sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When my system goes to sleep or comes back from the screensaver the OS has moved my windows from my secondary monitor to my "primary" monitor. It could... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cproatx, May 7, 2016.

1. cproatx Win User

W10 rearranging my windows and taskbar after screensaver/sleep

When my system goes to sleep or comes back from the screensaver the OS has moved my windows from my secondary monitor to my "primary" monitor. It could be browser windows or my friends list from Steam and even sometimes my locked taskbar. Does anyone have a solution for this? It sort of defeats the purpose of dual monitors if Windows continually forces everything to a single monitor and it's getting quite tedious moving everything back where I want it every 5 minutes. I have searched but not found any real solution.

Overall I'm loving W10 but some of these issues are really driving me insane.

:)

cproatx, May 7, 2016
  2. TKAWLE Win User

Windows 10 asks for password after screen turn-off timeout.

Yes, this does the trick. I was concerned about prior Windows' behavior not allowing a shorter timespan for screensaver verses screen sleep modes. It works fine.

I have my Screen set to sleep at 10 minutes and my blank screensaver set to activate at 20 minutes, and requiring Lock Screen (doesn't say password, but it does!!) so the password is required after the screensaver timeout, and not after the sleep timeout!

W10 rearranging my windows and taskbar after screensaver/sleep :)

TKAWLE, May 7, 2016
  3. OFB_01 Win User
    Screensaver will not exit

Same for me; screen saver will not exit after W10 Creator was installed. It appears that the entire key board is locked out when the screen saver is active (arrows used to advance/reverse the screensaver slideshow, no more)

To escape: ctl+alt+del (and then cancel) to wake the system up (and the sleep/wake-up trick, mentioned above). It looks as a W10 creator bug in all respects

OFB_01, May 7, 2016
  4. W10 rearranging my windows and taskbar after screensaver/sleep

I'm having the same issue. I've been using Win10 Home since late last year and this problem just started within the last month. My Primary Monitor is my right monitor, but I like to keep certain desktop shortcuts and more importantly the system tray on the left monitor. This is mostly since games launch on the primary monitor and I like to observe temps/performance without using overlays, so I use them via the system tray.

Every time the PC goes to sleep, it moves everything back to the right (Primary) monitor. I unlock the taskbar, move it back to the left monitor, lock the taskbar, but it makes no difference.

Did you ever find a solution to this? I tried creating a new user account thinking it may be a corrupt profile or something strange like that. But no luck so far.

Snidermorider, May 15, 2016
  5. flybynite Win User
    I am using build 14342 and when I resume from sleep, everything is the same, and I have 3 monitors. I even tried what you do with the taskbar, and it is fine. Perhaps the build you are using has a bug, and it will be fixed. Otherwise I don't know.

flybynite, May 15, 2016
  6. cproatx Win User
    How did you get on that build? I'm up to date and my OS says build 10586.318. To the previous posters..no I did not find a solution. My only workaround so far is to set my monitors to never shut off..then the screensaver can come on and off without an issue. This is obviously a terrible solution and doesn't work when I need to restart or power off. It's pretty sad that W10 can't deal with dual monitors considering how "advanced" it is.

cproatx, May 15, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    It usually happens when your resolution changes. Mostly if you are using two monitors or have say a flatscreen connected but not powered up or in sleep state. Windows retuns back to wake state at the default Screen settings.

bro67, May 15, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

You are running a Insider build, which is an Alpha. You should have stated that at the beginning, since all Insiders are needing to stay with the bug reports to Gabr Aul, who is the Microsoft employee in charge of the Insider program.

There is nothing that we can do if you are in the insider program. Because those participating are supposed to keep Gabe updated when you run into these issues. If you do not let him know. He has no way of telling the coders what is going on.

bro67, May 15, 2016
  9. flybynite Win User
    The OP is not running an insider build. He is on latest TH2. I let him know that in future builds his bug should be fixed. *Smile

flybynite, May 15, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    Thry will always fix thr issue when they are aware. Users need to start stating that they are Insiders or not, because it is only after going through half of thr troubleshooting process, that we find out what build that they are using.

With Redstone so close. These problems are going to start rearing their ugly little heads even more. It is only on certain hardware builds that we are getting the majority of these issues.

If they do not tell us the build and last update applied that shows in history, we are just chasing our tails helping them out.

After all, we are not mind readers and just because their system is having issues, they automatically think that everyone else is having the same problem.

bro67, May 15, 2016
  11. wpcoe Win User
    So, being a non-Insider, I am on Version 10.0.10586 and a month or so ago, I started having the same problem: After screen saver kicks in and I bring the desktop back to view, all my icons are rearranged to the left edge of the screen. I assume from the limited chatter on this thread there is no fix? *really

(The behavior is identical to situations where I change the screen resolution. When changing resolutions, which I rarely do, it's not so burdensome, but to have to re-create my desired desktop configurations multiple times daily *is* burdensome.)

wpcoe, Jun 11, 2016
  12. ker9 Win User
    I am a non-insider and my OS build is 10586.494. The desktop icons move back to the left when the monitor wakes up. Changing themes, turning auto arrange on/off, deleting iconcache.db, etc. does not work. So far nothing has worked. Icons move and window positions and sizes also change seemingly randomly.

It seems crazy that this has been going on since the original release without any resolution. It's very frustrating.

13. lx07 Win User

The current (non insider) version is 14393 and this problem now seems to be fixed (for me anyway) so you could consider upgrading. It was released in beginning of August so if you're not being offered it automatically through Windows Update you could download the ISO from Microsoft and upgrade manually.

The process is described here Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

14. wpcoe Win User
    I built a new system (i3-6320, using Intel 530 iGPU) and installed Win10 with Anniversary Update from the beginning, and the problem is fixed. Initially, I wasn't sure if it were the new CPU/iGPU or the Anniversary Update, but as a test I installed the video card from my previous system, and the problem didn't occur then, either, so I'm guessing it was the update to Windows that fixed it.

Every once in a while a couple icons get moved -- it is totally random -- but basically it's fixed. When the system comes out of sleep, the lock screen is 1/4-size, but as soon as I press <enter> to remove the lock screen, things pop back to normal size.

Now, if we could just get rid of the lock screen....

wpcoe, Sep 12, 2016
  15. lx07 Win User
Thema:

1. W10 rearranging my windows and taskbar after screensaver/sleep - Similar Threads - W10 rearranging taskbar

2. My screensaver and sleep not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My screensaver and sleep not working: Before you share a response with basic troubleshooting steps , I’ve tried them all. Here’s what I was able to narrow it down to. when I’m on the desktop with no windows or apps open, just showing wallpaper no slideshow screen saver/sleep will not work. However if I open a...
  3. My screensaver and sleep not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My screensaver and sleep not working: Before you share a response with basic troubleshooting steps , I’ve tried them all. Here’s what I was able to narrow it down to. when I’m on the desktop with no windows or apps open, just showing wallpaper no slideshow screen saver/sleep will not work. However if I open a...
  4. After virtual desktop switch, taskbar buttons are rearranged!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After virtual desktop switch, taskbar buttons are rearranged!: Same issue reported December, 2019: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-the-desktop-switch-the-taskbar-buttons-are/c42ccb34-52dd-4ab8-a7a9-b072e3e7eb5cBut the issue still occurs 2023... Setting the group policy mentioned in above thread didn't solve...
  5. After virtual desktop switch, taskbar buttons are rearranged!

After virtual desktop switch, taskbar buttons are rearranged!: Same issue reported December, 2019: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-the-desktop-switch-the-taskbar-buttons-are/c42ccb34-52dd-4ab8-a7a9-b072e3e7eb5cBut the issue still occurs 2023... Setting the group policy mentioned in above thread didn't solve...
  6. Windows 11 taskbar goes blank after screensaver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 taskbar goes blank after screensaver: Running Windows 11 on Dell 7506. Has been working great for months. Suddenly I'm seeing the taskbar go blank with no icons. I have attempted about every "fix" I can find including all the suggested "fixes" in an earlier thread for this exact same issue. If I CTRL-ALT-DEL and...
  7. Windows 11 taskbar goes blank after screensaver

Windows 11 taskbar goes blank after screensaver: Running Windows 11 on Dell 7506. Has been working great for months. Suddenly I'm seeing the taskbar go blank with no icons. I have attempted about every "fix" I can find including all the suggested "fixes" in an earlier thread for this exact same issue. If I CTRL-ALT-DEL and...
  8. Taskbar screensaver shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar screensaver shortcut: How do you place a shortcut to a screen saver on the Windows 10 taskbar? I have tried dragging the screen saver file to the taskbar and also copy/paste. When I click on my shortcut, all that happens is a "frozen" black screen. Some more information that may or may not be...
  9. windows 10 rearranges taskbar icons

windows 10 rearranges taskbar icons: In the middle of my day, or just at random times, my taskbar icons open applications, not pinned will all of a sudden move around and rearrange themselves. How do I prevent this? I am on Windows 10 Pro 1909, 18363.720. Below are my settings. [ATTACH]...
  10. After the desktop switch, the taskbar buttons are rearranged

After the desktop switch, the taskbar buttons are rearranged: Hi I've one monitor and two desktops, that usually switch between them. But when I back to previous desktop, the taskbar buttons are rearranged and sorted differently from what I made. Is there any option to keep the previous order of buttons?...