Windows 10: W10 Safe mode

Discus and support W10 Safe mode in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been told that you can enter Safe Mode in W10 by holding the Shift key at startup and tapping the F8 key, do you know if this is correct? (I had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jampit, Dec 15, 2015.

1. jampit Win User

W10 Safe mode

I have been told that you can enter Safe Mode in W10 by holding the Shift key at startup and tapping the F8 key, do you know if this is correct? (I had a crash after holding he shift key so didn't get any further)

:)

jampit, Dec 15, 2015
  2. Kubotaham Win User

Windows 10 Hangs on Startup

Vanesa,

As I have stated, I cannot get into Safe Mode using the W10 HDD that has/had W10 on it. Using the MCT on a USB stick, I can get to the option of installing W10 but I get the message that it can't create or locate an existing one. It appears as if I can
    delete the Partition 3 on Drive 4, but it would seem that would remove all W10 files, which might make a new installation of W10 not possible.

The only way I can get into Safe Mode on the R3 is by substituting an SDD I was trying to get to boot from a PCI slot last year. I did a copy of the then W7 HDD and tried to use the SSD as the boot drive when it was installed in an open PCI slot (didn't
    work but the drive still had the copy of W7 on it). This I can use to boot into W7 Safe Mode if I substitute it for the W10 HDD. This gives me access to my RAIDed 3TB drives where I have a W10 C:\ drive backup from July of this year. I have resisted using
    this backup to restore the W10 HDD because I am unsure if it will work. Also, I tried to backup the W7 drive from within Safe Mode, but it doesn't seem as if backup software works from within Safe Mode. You suggest I do a backup while in Safe Mode, but how
    would you go about that?

Bob.

Kubotaham, Dec 15, 2015
  3. G_R
    G_R Win User
    W10 safe mode network not working

Noticed on each W10 system that I have worked with, network is not available in safe mode. Even by selecting the option through msconfig, when safe mode opens, network/internet is not available.

What is required for network to be available in safe mode? Must be intended to be available.

4. OldMike65 Win User

W10 Safe mode

Don't know about that method, but from your desktop, click on your search icon, then type in "msconfig" then click on the Boot tab, choose Safe boot box, and reboot computer. That will put your computer in Safe mode. OR you can read this tutorial which will show you other ways too.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

OldMike65, Dec 15, 2015
  5. axe0 New Member
    What kind of a crash did you get?
    • Bluescreen crash,
    • Freeze crash, nothing happens although you are trying to do something
    • Sudden shutdown/restart crash

6. jampit Win User
    Hi Axe0. It was a freeze crash, the computer had booted partly- it had got as far as the 'normal' windows screen with the windows icon, search icon etc along the bottom but not the rest ie no 'life at a glance' 'play and explore' pages which you normally get with the windows icon. The system froze and would not power down either by trying to get the power button on the screen (no cursor movement) nor the main Off button on the laptop. Eventually had to disconnect from the mains and remove the battery.
    Obviously could not get to the search button at that time.
    I have got the system up and running again, but I had contacted Microsoft about 'Safe Mode' and they suggested the Shift- F8 method. I thought that had gone out with w7 and I'm not too keen on trying it in the future unless I'm sure it works.

jampit, Dec 15, 2015
  7. davidhk Win User
    jampit,

RE : How does one get into Safe Mode?
    1. If you are already signed in............. Right click at Start > click Run > type msconfig > OK > click Boot at top > under Boot options, check the box " Safe boot" > click Ok > restart. You will be on Safe Mode after restart.
    If you want to go back to normal mode, repeat the steps above but UN-check the box "Safe boot".

2. If you are not yet signed in .......... at the sign in screen, bottom right is the Power icon. Left click at it will give you Restart.
    Press SHIFT key and Hold > click Restart > Troubleshoot > Advanced Settings ( or Advanced options ) > Startup Settings > right side, click the Restart button > next screen will give you Safe Mode selections > use the number keys to select.

davidhk, Dec 15, 2015
  8. eddard Win User

W10 Safe mode

On my HP, I press F11 while the computer is booting.

eddard, Dec 15, 2015
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    I think F9 will too on my HP

OldMike65, Dec 15, 2015
  10. axe0 New Member
    The laptop is Acer, I have searched for the key for Acer, but no result yet.

Thema:

W10 Safe mode

1. W10 Safe mode - Similar Threads - W10 Safe mode

2. Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Safe Mode: I am stuck in safe mode and given less than 10 seconds to input and initiate msconfig to exit safe mode process which I can't complete. I've tried this countless, please assist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/safe-mode/4ed6f008-169d-4f03-908b-cf4b761db623
  3. Safe mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Safe mode: How to change safe mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/safe-mode/031fa033-73e3-4f85-8fa9-911231e9b116
  4. Safe Mode / Not Safe Mode Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Safe Mode / Not Safe Mode Problem: Windows 10 PC on feature pack 1909. Mapped drive S: to a DC/AD/Server 2016 share. Several folders on the share are large. PC1 was working fine till yesterday. Now those large folders on S: can take up to 3 minutes to display contents in Explorer. Other folders on S: display...
  5. Making W10 Safe

Making W10 Safe: Newbie here currently using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Used W10 a while back but abandoned it. Here is why. I was trying to use my Amazon account and had trouble. Amazon found someone other than me tried to use my account. I had been hacked. After the tech at Amazon finished his work,...
  6. Making W10 Safe

in Windows 10 Support
    Making W10 Safe: Newbie here currently using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Used W10 a while back but abandoned it. Here is why. I was trying to use my Amazon account and had trouble. Amazon found someone other than me tried to use my account. I had been hacked. After the tech at Amazon finished his work,...
  7. W10 blinking in log in screen and when in safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    W10 blinking in log in screen and when in safe mode: Good afternoon, My computer had an error ("LoginUI.exe") that wouldn't let me log in into my computer, after some messing around the error message stoped but my log in screen keeps on blinking and won't let me log in. I booted in safe mode and after it boots the desktop and...
  8. W10 Login with PIN code in SAFE mode is refused

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    W10 Login with PIN code in SAFE mode is refused: When I login in W10 in Safe mode, the pincode is refused. Is this a bug? How can this be solved? 125340
  9. W10 Login with PIN code in SAFE mode is refused

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Login with PIN code in SAFE mode is refused: When I login in W10 in Safe mode, the pincode is refused. Is this a bug? How can this be solved? 125340
  10. Password issues with W10 in Safe Mode

Password issues with W10 in Safe Mode: Laptop: HP Spectre x360 Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit) I went thru the basic setup on a brand new laptop and used the face recognition feature for logon. As I was having an issue with installing some software that runs on Win7, I was advised by the software...