Windows 10: W10 screwed up my laptop

Discus and support W10 screwed up my laptop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I upgraded to w10 pro from w7 pro. I thought all was well, but yesterday the screen went sideways - tried to drag it and went to settings , no help.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by PSCO2007W10, Apr 4, 2016.

1. W10 screwed up my laptop

I upgraded to w10 pro from w7 pro.

I thought all was well, but yesterday the screen went sideways - tried to drag it and went to settings , no help.

I restored a saved image (Macrium) and I got the screen back, but it did it again.

I installed an external hdd ( has also an image for w7) and it froze my screen and I lost my mouse.

I installed the drive into my pc and it is perfect.

I'm going back to w7 and maybe I'll get w10 in the future.

BTW - the problems started after HP updated the BIOS.

Could that have anythig to do with it?

Thanks,

Paul

:)

PSCO2007W10, Apr 4, 2016

2. I Screwed Up An W10 Update

First, try performing a Startup repair:

Boot from the Windows 10 DVD

How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

a) At the Install Now screen

b) Click Repair your computer

c) Click Advanced Options

d) Click Troubleshoot

e) Click Startup repair

f) Follow the on screen instructions

See if this helps

If that does not help, try a rollback. Because you are unable to load the desktop, try the following:

If you cannot load the Windows Desktop, you can initiate a Rollback using the following method:

W10 screwed up my laptop [​IMG]

Log out and go to the sign in screen.

Hold down the shift key on your keyboard while clicking the Power button on the screen

Continue to hold down the shift key while clicking Restart

Continue to hold down the shift key until the Advanced Recovery Options menu appears

Click Troubleshoot

Click Advanced options

Click Go back to the previous version of Windows

If that does not work, use the Windows 10 install media you downloaded then perform a custom install:

How to: Perform a custom installation of Windows

Andre Da Costa, Apr 4, 2016
  3. I Screwed Up An W10 Update

Glad to know this W10 screwed up my laptop :)

Feel free to get assistance regarding any other issue.

Sumit Dhiman2, Apr 4, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

W10 screwed up my laptop

Try updating the GPU driver. Thr bios update would not cause this.

bro67, Apr 4, 2016
  5. Thanks,

I'll try that.

Why do I not have that problem on w7, though?

PSCO2007W10, Apr 4, 2016
  6. I second this

Computer Chicken, Apr 4, 2016
  7. Tried that - says driver up to date.

PSCO2007W10, Apr 4, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

W10 screwed up my laptop

bro67, Apr 4, 2016
  9. Thanks for that info.

The only problem is when I launch w10, that behavior makes it impossible to do anything.
    Can I download to the w7 that I reverted to and when it does the upgrade to w10, will it be included?

Also, your link refers to w7 - will it work in w10 also?

Thanks,

Paul

PSCO2007W10, Apr 4, 2016
  10. Did your Windows 10 upgrade get activated? If so, why not do a clean install?

DeaconFrost, Apr 4, 2016
  11. Thanks for reply,,
    Yes, when I did the upgrade it was activated.

Isn't that a clean install?

Also, the driver for mousepad suggesested in previous posts is already there and it says it is the latest driver.

PSCO2007W10, Apr 4, 2016
  12. If you right click on desktop and select Orientation make sure you don't have Landscpae (flipped) or Portrait (flipped) selected.

orlbuckeye, Apr 4, 2016
  13. W10 screwed up my laptop

Thanks,

That was the first thing I did.

PSCO2007W10, Apr 4, 2016
  14. I don't know, maybe he should.

I would go for it. Remember to backup your things before doing a clean install. It will save your items in a Windows.old but you never know what could happen, better safe than sorry *Wink

Computer Chicken, Apr 5, 2016
  15. I always backup everything as I mentioned in my first post.

That's how I restored w7 after the debacle of upgrading to w10.

After Googling a w10 clean install (didn't know you could do that with the free upgrade) and realizing I would have to reinstall all my programs - (like I had to start from scratch after going from XP to W7 on my new PC), I have decided that the aggravation is just not worth it. I really don't see the big advantage from going from W7 - which I am very happy with and going with W10.

I thank all who responded and will mark this thread Solved.

PSCO2007W10, Apr 5, 2016
Thema:

W10 screwed up my laptop

1. W10 screwed up my laptop - Similar Threads - W10 screwed laptop

2. Screwed up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screwed up: I've had this computer for 2-3 years and Within the 1st year my computer has gotten corrupt. Whenever I try to look up on how to fix corrupt files or just a corrupt pc It dosen't work as it says I'm not a administrator. So please help me I have my entire computer corrupted...
  3. Screwed up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Screwed up: I've had this computer for 2-3 years and Within the 1st year my computer has gotten corrupt. Whenever I try to look up on how to fix corrupt files or just a corrupt pc It dosen't work as it says I'm not a administrator. So please help me I have my entire computer corrupted...
  4. Screwed Up!

in Windows 10 Support
    Screwed Up!: Not sure if this is right section but a few hours ago the whole of Win 10 went config up! I had my images (in the number of thousands) suddenly change real life icons into some damn flower. I seem to recall I had this problem ages ago and you all fixed it but I could not...
  5. An update screwed up my new laptop!!!!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    An update screwed up my new laptop!!!!!: Hello, I am hoping SOMEONE with REAL windows 10 knowledge can help me!Ever since a forced in, unstoppable, UNWANTED windows 10 update loaded itself into MY laptop, I can no longer open the "Start" menu, Action Center no longer opens and a few other things no longer...
  6. Reset screwed up my laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reset screwed up my laptop: Hi, My name is Pratyush, I just performed a full reset of my Laptop. But when it is complete, and I fill all my info and reach the desktop, I am not able to run any Modern UI apps and not able to sign in using a microsoft account. UWP apps and sign in Prompt crash on opening....
  7. My Laptop is screwed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My Laptop is screwed: My laptop ever since installing Duet which is what i use, keeps telling me it couldn’t repair itself, I have tried everything and nothing works. It also gives me a (GSOD) Green screen of Death[IMG]...
  8. Windows 10 update screwed up my laptop

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 update screwed up my laptop: 1. Wont recognize my pin 2. Wont let me reset, gives an error mssg 3. On airplane mode and does not give an option to connect https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-screwed-up-my-laptop/2ea4ed42-613b-49f6-acb0-7b0914d5bf6b
  9. Windows update r1809 screwed up my laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows update r1809 screwed up my laptop: So I recently updated to Windows 1809 and my laptop is running fine. Until a few days ago probably like two or three days I was working out and listening to music on my laptop when my laptop froze I figured it was a blue screen but I never got the blue screen menu so I force...
  10. My W10 PIN settings are screwed....

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    My W10 PIN settings are screwed....: Yesterday I had an error logging in, and after a reboot my PIN doesn't work. I go to add a PIN and it prompts me for my existing PIN. I type in anything and it does nothing. So I can't enable and I can't disable. I love the PIN concept as I am on a Hybrid. Any...