Windows 10: W10 TPM Bitlocker asks erroneously for pwd on one data partition

Discus and support W10 TPM Bitlocker asks erroneously for pwd on one data partition in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; With a laptop W10 + TPM enabled with hard drive partitioned with C: = system; d: = users; e: = media; f: = the rest - all partitions BitLocker... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by acontrario, Aug 22, 2016.

1. W10 TPM Bitlocker asks erroneously for pwd on one data partition

With a laptop W10 + TPM enabled with hard drive partitioned with C: = system; d: = users; e: = media; f: = the rest - all partitions BitLocker encrypted, all working beautifully well, I have an odd behaviour: after each W10 full startup, the partition e: needs to be opened by input of password asked. It works normally for all other partitions.

This is after migrating from W7 to W10 without clean install.
    In W7, all was working well also but without the oddity.

I don't remember activating something special for e: different from other partitions.

Is there a parameter buried somewhere that regulates this behaviour? Or is the simple way out to decrypt then encrypt again?
    Not a burning issue of course.
    Thanks

:)

acontrario, Aug 22, 2016

2. Bitlocker encription, I am about to use it, any problems to know about?

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption is a new security feature that provides better data protection for your computer, by encrypting all data stored on the Windows operating system volume. (In this version of Windows, a volume consists
    of one or more partitions on one or more hard disks. BitLocker works with simple volumes, where one volume is one partition. A volume usually has a drive letter assigned, such as "C.")

A Trusted Platform Module (TPM) is a microchip that is built into a computer. It is used to store cryptographic information, such as encryption keys. Information stored on the TPM can be more secure from external software attacks
    and physical theft.

BitLocker uses the TPM to help protect the Windows operating system and user data and helps to ensure that a computer is not tampered with, even if it is left unattended, lost, or stolen.

BitLocker can also be used without a TPM. To use BitLocker on a computer without a TPM, you must change the default behavior of the BitLocker setup wizard by using Group Policy, or configure BitLocker by using a script. When BitLocker
    is used without a TPM, the required encryption keys are stored on a USB flash drive that must be presented to unlock the data stored on a volume.

Hope the information helps, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Aug 22, 2016
  3. RNH98027 Win User
    Activate Bitlocker for data drive partition

I upgraded a Win 7 machine last week to Win 10. It had a data partition on the hard drive that was encrypted with Bitlocker (w/o TPM). After the conversion, bitlocker was working for both the partition and USB flash drives that were inserted. However,
    yesterday after what appeared to be an Win Update, they ceased working. I was able to resolve the issue for USB flash drives by using the Group Policies to enable bitlocker for portable drives, however, I have not be able to get the bitlocker working for
    the Fixed Data Drive partition. What is the trick to get this to work?

RNH98027, Aug 22, 2016
Thema:

W10 TPM Bitlocker asks erroneously for pwd on one data partition

1. W10 TPM Bitlocker asks erroneously for pwd on one data partition - Similar Threads - W10 TPM Bitlocker

2. Win 10 Asks for Pwd after Update - Never had any pwd

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Win 10 Asks for Pwd after Update - Never had any pwd: Hi Team, About a few weeks back, a Win 10 update installed on my laptop. I have never had a password on my laptop and always hit enter in the login screen. I have tried 'Reset Password' option on the screen and it asks for 3 questions which I have never set so unable to get...
  3. BitLocker asked to unlock external SSD, but is TPM protected, help!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BitLocker asked to unlock external SSD, but is TPM protected, help!: Good evening, My Asus Zenbook UX430 UA crashed, and before I send it out for repairs (from what I see, the motherboard is kaput), I wanted to retrieve confidential documents from my SSD. I put it in an external drive caddy, which I connected to my spare laptop, an old...
  4. BitLocker Data Partition unlock on boot

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker Data Partition unlock on boot: I am getting a laptop with Windows 10 Pro. I will be reducing the system partition and add another partition D: for data. Then i would move all user folders including Desktop to D: drive I want to protect the D drive with BitLocker so that if laptop is stolen my data is...
  5. Bitlocker: D Partition was not able to access and was asking for format

Bitlocker: D Partition was not able to access and was asking for format: We are having some serious trouble with Bit locker. Recently, we decrypted one Desktop C (232 GB) and D Partition (231 GB) and it all went smooth, even restarted after the Decryption with no issues. But after the restart we found that D Partition was not able to access...
  6. Bitlocker: D Partition was not able to access and was asking for format

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bitlocker: D Partition was not able to access and was asking for format: We are having some serious trouble with Bit locker. Recently, we decrypted one Desktop C (232 GB) and D Partition (231 GB) and it all went smooth, even restarted after the Decryption with no issues. But after the restart we found that D Partition was not able to...
  7. Bitlocker locked the partition never asking for the password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker locked the partition never asking for the password: suddenly bitlocker showing this error "bit locker encryption is not compatible woiht this version of windows and funny thing is that i never update the window, after that i have tried every thig but nothing works please tell me the M3 bitlocker recvoery softwware because...
  8. Bitlocker locked the partition never asking for the password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker locked the partition never asking for the password: suddenly bitlocker showing this error "bit locker encryption is not compatible woiht this version of windows and funny thing is that i never update the window, after that i have tried every thig but nothing works please tell me the M3 bitlocker recvoery softwware because...
  9. Bitlocker with TPM

Bitlocker with TPM: Hi , I,m not sure if this is the right place to post this . Anyway , My query is about encryption on win10 pro . Previously I had a laptop with no TPM so I had to us the group policy editor to allow encryption to work , fine ,all was working and I had to type a password...
  10. Clearing TPM, did not ask for BitLocker Recovery key on system restart

Clearing TPM, did not ask for BitLocker Recovery key on system restart: Hi guys, I know I had been overwhelming here with all my BitLocker and TPM related questions, but hopefully this should be my final concerns. I have BitLocker full encryption enabled on my HDD. 1. Recently, I had this issue when going to the TPM.msc console and...
Tags: