Windows 10: W10 Unrecognized C:\Users Folder

Discus and support W10 Unrecognized C:\Users Folder in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; This is a problem with multiple levels I think, so I'm trying to isolate them one by one... I have a backup computer on my network (running latest W10... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by ebergerly, Jul 19, 2018.

1. ebergerly Win User

W10 Unrecognized C:\Users Folder

This is a problem with multiple levels I think, so I'm trying to isolate them one by one...

I have a backup computer on my network (running latest W10 update), and under C:\Users there is a folder (call it Joe). However, when I run "net user" on the command line it doesn't show "Joe" as a recognized user, nor does Joe show up anywhere as a user account.

I believe that originally with that computer I started with an account "Joe", but subsequently added a second account (call it Bill), that matches the main admin account on my other networked main computer, and regularly log in to that main account (Bill) on both computers.

I guess my question is this:

If "Joe" is a user (since it's listed under C:\Users), then why would it not be also shown as an active or hidden user in any of the W10 user account management stuff?

And part 2 of this is that I am unable to synchronize my folders across the networked computers because I can't copy files (due to insufficient access rights) to the Joe folder. The only way it works is if I give access to the Joe folders to Everyone, which I don't want to do.

Thanks for any help.

:)

ebergerly, Jul 19, 2018
  2. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Jul 19, 2018
  3. DMales Win User
    Unrecognized user account

I just reset windows 10 (ouch) and recovered most everything from on-line backup. I am a bit confused as I have an unrecognized user account, which could be my email truncated (dmale) In C:\User. When I try to manage it in the User control Panel
    dialog I don't see it, just the User I restored (Don) There are some new folders in
    dmale, but they also seem to be in my Don User Account. Ideas?

**Post moved by forum moderator to appropriate category**

DMales, Jul 19, 2018
  4. Kari Win User

Unable to see folder C:\users\all users

Windows does not have a folder All users. It is a link to C:\ProgramData folder, in other words when you run command DIR "C:\Users\All Users", it lists the content of folder C:\ProgramData.

Thema:

1. W10 Unrecognized C:\Users Folder - Similar Threads - W10 Unrecognized Users

2. C:\User documents folder annoyance

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C:\User documents folder annoyance: Hey, Just got a new PC and did a windows update. The documents folder that was once located at C:\users\XXXX\documents is now C:\users\XXXX\onedrive\documents. is there a way to reset this?...
  3. what is purpose of "C:/USERS" folder ?

what is purpose of "C:/USERS" folder ?: My part of it is over 5. Gb. Could it all be deleted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-purpose-of-cusers-folder/a25b2cad-43a0-487a-86ae-592b4ab5d38c"
  4. Missing C:\users\Documents folder

Missing C:\users\Documents folder: For some time now I have been unable to see the Windows "Documents" folder on C:\users. All I see is the C:\users\OneDrive\Documents folder. Does OneDirve somehow interact with the Windows Documents folder and somehow combine them? I can't imagine that to be the case...
  5. Unrecognized folder

Unrecognized folder: Good day. during the process of selecting a folder to save a word file, I came across a folder that I have never seen before. Can you tell me what it is please? I pasted it below. I also left the data string out just in case it is suppose to be private. Thanks....
  6. Postgres Folder In C:\Users ???

in Windows 10 Support
    Postgres Folder In C:\Users ???: I recently noticed this folder in my C:\Users folder named postgres. I didn't find mush about it when searching the web. I was wondering what this might be associated with? Here are a few screenshots I took. Showing it's location and the folders therein. [img] [img] The...
  7. Unable to see folder C:\users\all users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to see folder C:\users\all users: Using win10 - 64bit Logged into cmd prompt as admin. Cannot see C:\users\all users with the following cmd's Folder does not show in normal File Explorer window Run TREE cmd and the All Users folder does not show. Run DIR cmd for C:\users and All Users does not show...
  8. Removing/renaming a user profile folder in C:\Users?

Removing/renaming a user profile folder in C:\Users?: Just joined this forum recently, so this is my first post. Anyways, I've been looking online for a method to simply delete the folder of an old user profile in C:\Users. I have yet to come across a successful method. The message that appears when I try to delete the folder is...
  9. How to rename a user's folder in c:\users?

How to rename a user's folder in c:\users?: While my request in the thread Is it advisable/useful to have a second (full) Administrator account? was successfully handled, I now have this situation which I consider appropriate to mention in a new thread. Basically, I would like to rename the "new user" folder of the...
  10. W10 changes user rights on folders

W10 changes user rights on folders: I am running a multiboot W7-pro and W10-pro with several harddisks build in the computer to discover that after W10 used a disk W7 wants to check it to find no errors. Beside that I am not allowed to delete some folders I created in W7 after using them in W10 and they are set...