Windows 10: W10 Update Run Amok?

Discus and support W10 Update Run Amok? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Seems like W10 update is having a problem with this update? Or is this just another unique feature? Or is it something I'm doing wrong? Everyday brings... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Ken429, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Ken429 Win User

W10 Update Run Amok?

Seems like W10 update is having a problem with this update? Or is this just another unique feature? Or is it something I'm doing wrong? Everyday brings a new W10 adventure on one of my six systems!

:)

Ken429, Feb 21, 2016
  2. Erumaudie Win User

W10 - "The program cant start because MSVCR110.dll is missing from your computer". What causes this and how do I fix it?

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for your response.

What concerns me is I have a brand new custom made computer running W10 Pro and it was running fine (as good as W10 runs fine) for the last two months. I had a big update last week for W10 and after that this error appeared.

So the only item that caused the error is a Windows update.

This update also reset quite a lot of personal settings.

Is this going to an ongoing issue with W10 moving forward?

Erumaudie, Feb 21, 2016
  3. G_R
    G_R Win User
    Cannot install regular updates without W10 beginning setup download

when updating to W10 part of the setup prior to running is a compatibility check.

But that is totally irrelevant to the current problem of being unable to run regular updates without W10 installation taking over.

Updated Info

Instead of canceling the W10 setup files download, I just let it run with the display saying it was downloading, the checking for disk space, etc. By monitoring 'Task Manager' it appeared that updates were being installed so I let it run. In fact it was
    downloading and installing updates even though the dialog box was reporting W10 being downloaded. At the end after the updates had been installed, the dialog box turned to indicating that all updates had been installed and that I needed to restart my computer.

Subsequent updates, when selected, also indicate the W10 download of setup files, but in fact is processing the updates.

When I run Microsoft's 'fixit' for updates it reports that windows update error 0x80070057 not fixed.

Not sure what that is

4. W10 Update Run Amok?

I had exactly the same with a HP printer driver. It claims it was installed 6 times one after the other, all marked successful. Never found any reason why this happened, or if there are any problems because of it either.

Geoff Daniell, Feb 21, 2016
  5. philc43 Win User
    I have seen this problem before and it is fixed by going into Programs & Features and selecting in turn both instances of the C++ 2012 redistributable (there will be a (x64) and a (x86) version), clicking on Change and then running a repair.

philc43, Feb 21, 2016
  6. Ken429 Win User
    Thanks for the quick response. I did the "Change/Repair" routine for C++ 2012 (x64) and it seemed to work. However, for C++ 2012 and C++ 2013 I only have the x64 version installed? C++ 2010 has both the x64 and x86 versions installed. Have I got yet another W10 issue?

Ken429, Feb 21, 2016
  7. philc43 Win User
    Whether you have one or both of the versions depends on which other programs have been installed on your system as they are called for by the installation process for the programs you load into W10. I would not worry about it, if you install new programs in the future you might find that it appears then.

The main thing is that you have now stopped getting the repeat updates.

philc43, Feb 21, 2016
  8. Ken429 Win User

W10 Update Run Amok?

That worked. Now, how do I clear the update history since it is filled with bogus updates.

Ken429, Feb 23, 2016
  9. Ken429 Win User
Thema:

W10 Update Run Amok?

1. W10 Update Run Amok? - Similar Threads - W10 Update Run

2. W10 updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 updates: Updates installing twice before completion. Why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w10-updates/74436a7f-f66b-4fa9-bb1c-03bd36f94896
  3. W10 update.

W10 update.: Hello, I have W10 21H2 OS19044-1566, have problem updating, showing fault 0x80073701, plain language answer if poss. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w10-update/f5c2030e-5114-428d-b6db-50fdba896841
  4. Chrome History Tabs run amok

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome History Tabs run amok: WINDOWS 10 Some time ago (years) when you closed your browser your previous searches were not visible. Then came tab browsing, which I like. Lately though I open my chrome browser and I have 37 or more little blue pin wheels representing my previous searches. Problem is they...
  5. Cryptographic Services run amok

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cryptographic Services run amok: We have multiple PCs in our organization showing high disk usage from 'Service Host: Cryptographic Services' and intermittent performance issues accompanying it. Performance issues include Microsoft Office Applications going to 'Not Responding' for 20-30 seconds before...
  6. My Laptop running W10.

My Laptop running W10.: my laptop keeps trying to install updates. Error code 0x800F0908 which appears to be to with a device's I do not possess. Any responses. to *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. Regards....
  7. Stop run-amok-update

Stop run-amok-update: How do I interrupt a TEN-HOUR-LONG-AND-STILL-GOING-STRONG backup?! without losing backup data? MS apparently failed to anticipate is, that people don't turn on History, because laptops only come with ONE DRIVE, write, copy, and migrate a bunch of data to the new machine....
  8. Updates for W10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates for W10: I was gone for the entire month of Sept and the following updates where shown as available when I turned on my system. KB3093266 KB3087040 KB890830 and Qualcom Adapter Update The only problem is when I go to settings for updates it says downloading but nothing happens...
  9. Athlon 4800+ running W10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Athlon 4800+ running W10: Having asked questions on this forum and the W7 forum, I have successfully installed W10hp 32bit on an old socket 939 Athlon X2 4800+ machine. It was suggested that 64 bit was also likely to work. Microsoft's upgrade would not work because the processor lacked the correct...
  10. Is this spec enough to run W10

in Windows 10 Support
    Is this spec enough to run W10: How do you think this spec laptop will perform with Windows 10 - or would it be better to stick with W7. [img] Thanks 22954