Windows 10: W10 upgrade product key form prev. version

Discus and support W10 upgrade product key form prev. version in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently upgraded my motherboard and CPU. No issues even though going from Gigabyte to Asrock. Windows recognised everything other than those items... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by thefrecklepuny, Dec 22, 2015.

1. W10 upgrade product key form prev. version

I recently upgraded my motherboard and CPU. No issues even though going from Gigabyte to Asrock. Windows recognised everything other than those items which needed an Asrock driver.

Windows needed activating however. I was able to type in my old Win 8 upgrade product key. Windows was now activated.

In the new year I'll probably buy an M.2 SSD and put my current SSD in my laptop. Obviously I'll have to reinstall Windows 10. Will my Win 8 product key still work on a clean W10 install even though it was an upgrade from Win 7 / Vista? Or will I have to install Vista - 8 - 10 and reinstall 10 clean again?

:)

thefrecklepuny, Dec 22, 2015
  2. Teddy2016 Win User

Clean install. Nothing option delete the partition or the entire drive?

Hi!

You could just choose the partition C don't delete or format. I don't think you will have a license any more choosing
    deleting or formating the C partition. Somewhere it will ask you for the product key. Beit W7 or 8 product key. Those product keys will not work.. You will need a W10 product key. The first "upgrade" option is the one you want, if you do not have a W10
    product key.

What version, (Build) is that iso?

Teddy2016, Dec 22, 2015
  3. Activate my windows 10

by go back to windows 8.1 u mean that i should go for the option GET BACK 8.1 ....but the problem is i dont have my oriinal product key .the product key was mot printed in any of the documents that came within the box.

thats why i am asking you guys that is their any method through which i can get my product key..

and you want me to upgrade to windows 10 by going back to windows 8 and then upgrading it to w10..cant i boot the pendrive and install w10 on this version of w10 itself with the help of bios setup.

and i want the product key ..is their any method i can get it

abhinavdhole, Dec 22, 2015
  4. JohnC Win User

W10 upgrade product key form prev. version

Once windows 10 is activated it will stay activated through a "digital entitlement", a hardware hash kept on their servers. So with just the change of a SSD, a clean install should activate automatically.

JohnC, Dec 22, 2015
Thema:

W10 upgrade product key form prev. version

1. W10 upgrade product key form prev. version - Similar Threads - W10 upgrade product

2. Product key W7 to W10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Product key W7 to W10: I had a laptop with Windows 7, change it for free to windows 10 when there was the chance. My laptop broke and I only have the number key that was in the back of it, the windows 7 key. There is any way to know if that key is available for another PC? Or maybe if I buy a new...
  3. Product key W7 to W10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product key W7 to W10: I had a laptop with Windows 7, change it for free to windows 10 when there was the chance. My laptop broke and I only have the number key that was in the back of it, the windows 7 key. There is any way to know if that key is available for another PC? Or maybe if I buy a new...
  4. Product key W7 to W10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. W10 product key reactivation after hardware upgrade

W10 product key reactivation after hardware upgrade: Hi there,So I have this nice gaming PC and I'm planning to upgrade some of its hardware next month MoBo, CPU and SSD. I bought W10 from an online retailer back in 2016 and they shipped a small blue box with an activation key inside but I've moved twice to different apartments...
  6. W10 product key reactivation after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 product key reactivation after hardware upgrade: Hi there,So I have this nice gaming PC and I'm planning to upgrade some of its hardware next month MoBo, CPU and SSD. I bought W10 from an online retailer back in 2016 and they shipped a small blue box with an activation key inside but I've moved twice to different apartments...
  7. W10 product key reactivation after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. W7 to W10 retail version product keys.

W7 to W10 retail version product keys.: Hi forum members. I'm hoping that someone here can shed some light on a problem I have identifying which W10 Pro upgrades I can reuse. I used to have a number of Windows7 PC's with retail Pro licenses which have now been dismantled. I had taken advantage of the free Windows10...
  9. Win10 Home to W10 Pro Upgrade Error using Product Key

Win10 Home to W10 Pro Upgrade Error using Product Key: Hi all - I'm attempting to upgrade a Dell W10 Home, x64 Laptop to W10 Pro, x64. Using a couple of what I was told were legit keys, I receive this error after W10 accepts the key... [img] Activation software problem? Any help appreciated. Thanks, EN *Think 118849
  10. Reusing W10 Home product key after upgrading to W10 Pro

Reusing W10 Home product key after upgrading to W10 Pro: A long time ago I upgraded a computer from W10 Home to W10 Pro. This was a custom build and both the original W10 Home activation and the new W10 Pro activation were done via product keys ordered from Amazon. No Microsoft account has ever been involved with either key. Back...