Windows 10: W10 upgrade worked, but it won't accept any video card + no sound.

Discus and support W10 upgrade worked, but it won't accept any video card + no sound. in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; 2 out of my 3 computers were upgraded no issue. My last one is a 2008 with an Asus P5N-MX with a E8400 processor. As stated in the title, I was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Saintor, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Saintor Win User

W10 upgrade worked, but it won't accept any video card + no sound.

2 out of my 3 computers were upgraded no issue.

My last one is a 2008 with an Asus P5N-MX with a E8400 processor.

As stated in the title, I was able to complete the upgrade but I have a black screen if I leave a video cards. I swapped many and the video cards are ok. I will get a display if I use the port on the motherboard. Unfortunately, it won't do better than 1024 x 768.

I was able also to install NVIDIA utility and I saw my GT 630 listed in the device managers, it even ran 1920x1080.... until in a reboot it rejected it and uninstalled it. I did the same with my RADEON/AMD card and same result.

Is it enough to conclude that my motherboard is not compatible with W10 or should I try something else?

:)

Saintor, Oct 28, 2015

2. No sound from my website using edge or IE11

I have a similar problem with IE11 on W10, there is no sound with any video, EDGE has sound. Thanks MS. IE11 is also having other problems with some web sites, seems to be related to flashplayer.

Older computer hardware might not work with Windows 10 because there are no drivers. I ran into a problem with a laptop with a older wireless card that appeared to be installed correctly but did not work. I backed out Windows 10 and it works.

Dan Davis Sr, Oct 28, 2015
  3. EdM1313 Win User
    Windows 10 boot issues

Upgraded to W10, older video card not compatible. Installed GEFORCE GTX 950 card, and now W10 won't boot up. Have seen the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen way too many times this weekend, have left computer running overnight with no results. Have
    also seen the dreaded black screen. Can't boot in safe mode or from a DVD. Have tried many of the suggestions on other strings and nothing works.

EdM1313, Oct 28, 2015
  4. bobkn Win User

I'm not sure.

That motherboard uses the nVidia nForce 610i chipset. The latest drivers at Visual Computing Leadership from NVIDIA for it are for Windows 7.

The 32 bit US English version is here:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...px/30521/en-us

There are also drivers for 64 bit:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...px/30520/en-us

You may have to manually install them to get them to go on. (I had to do something like that with a laptop from 2008 with an nVidia chipset and an AMD CPU. Its 8200m g graphics were officialy supported by nVidia for Win 10.)

I'm not sure that it's worthwhile upgrading such a system from Win 7, but I wouldn't bet that it's impossible.

bobkn, Oct 29, 2015
  5. upcoast Win User
    Maybe you try disabling onboard vid in bios and set to always PCI-E slot also in bios.

upcoast, Oct 29, 2015
  6. Saintor Win User
    As I mentioned I have access to various video cards.

NVIDIA didn't work on my ancien motherboard. I didn't try the specific NVIDIA upgrades listed above but I used their utility, with no success.

I also tried an el cheapo RADEON/AMD HD5450 video card. I had issues during the installation but it eventually got through. and it is working fine now. Except one exception; when booting, the BIOS tells me that the previous boot failed and I have to press F1 to continue. Well from there, it goes on with no issue.

So my conclusion is that the video cards were not really at fault but some are more permissive than others. If I would have to do it again with a 3+ yo computer, I would check the compatibility of the motherboard (and other hardware) with W10; ASUS says that my P5N-MX is not.

Agree. But the gadget lover in me won. *Smile

Saintor, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. W10 upgrade worked, but it won't accept any video card + no sound. - Similar Threads - W10 upgrade worked

2. Video card not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Video card not working: Lenovo legion y520 laptop does not work Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 video card, error 43 and "the device requires further installation", the driver was reinstalled both from the official Lenovo website, and from the Nvidia website, and through the device manager, help please...
  3. Video card not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video card not working: Lenovo legion y520 laptop does not work Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 video card, error 43 and "the device requires further installation", the driver was reinstalled both from the official Lenovo website, and from the Nvidia website, and through the device manager, help please...
  4. Video card not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. video card driver W10

video card driver W10: how to obtain driver in W10 for saphire radeon HD4350 card in PC with AMD A8 processor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-card-driver-w10/b6526d8d-0411-44a8-9dd6-b8ee1042d77c
  6. Video Card Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Video Card Upgrade: can I upgrade video card on HP Pavillion P6 2103wb? HP specs page says "Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed" and "Either integrated graphics or the PCI Express x16 slot are usable at one time; they are not usable concurrently". does that mean i...
  7. Upgrading Video Card But Not Monitors

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Upgrading Video Card But Not Monitors: I have the money to get a nVidia GTX 1060 6Gb card, but not the money to get new monitors. I'm looking for a recommendation as to how to connect the monitors. The both have a VGA and DVI-D ports. The cards are usually 1 HDMI, 1 DVI and 3 DisplayPort. The choices I see...
  8. Problem with my HDMI (Sound) from my video card. Any pros?

Problem with my HDMI (Sound) from my video card. Any pros?: Hi, i've got hooked to my television my computer trough HDMI in my Asus radeon R9 280x The problem is the following.. when i was under Windows 7 everything was working just fine and now .. I've got 2 screens plugged into my computer: 1: Samsung P2350 23" LCD...
  9. W10 caused sound to not work, now sound card no longer recognized

W10 caused sound to not work, now sound card no longer recognized: When I first went from W8.1 to W10, everything worked except the sound. Now after several updates, the icon speaker in task bar has an x by it, and when I hover mouse over icon the message states that "no audio output device is installed." When I go to device manager, there...
  10. Video Card Upgrade

Video Card Upgrade: I have an PNY Nvidia GT240 in my Windows 10 machine. A friend of mine has a 550 Ti for sale. Outside of more memory ,512 vs 1 Gb, and speed, is there any new features available with the Nvidia 550 Ti over the GT240? 36399