Windows 10: W10 Won't Restart After Update

Discus and support W10 Won't Restart After Update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Gateway desktop running W10 updated a few days ago and I believe, restarted on its own. We used it without problem, for several days. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CraigB, Dec 14, 2016.

1. CraigB Win User

W10 Won't Restart After Update

My Gateway desktop running W10 updated a few days ago and I believe, restarted on its own. We used it without problem, for several days. This afternoon, I saw I had notifications and one said the computer needed to be restarted. Not having anything pressing at the moment, I went to the Start key and clicked on Restart - I noted it did NOT say anything about "update and restart" or "update and shutdown". I walked away so I don't know exactly what else happened, but when I returned, it was on a splashscreen with "Restarting" in the center and a frozen circle of dots below. I left it for about a half hour and when it didn't change, I powered the computer off. Now, when I boot up I get the Windows splashscreen and circling dots, then the screen goes black. Sometimes the circling dots will reappear on the black screen, then the screen will go black and stay there. There are no sounds to indicate drives in motion, etc. Rebooting and pressing F8 will bring up a Windows recovery/repair screen, advising Windows did not load properly and giving me the option to attempt repairs or restart the PC. However, neither the keyboard or the mouse function to allow me to select either of these options. Suggestions?

:)

CraigB, Dec 14, 2016

2. Computer won't restart after installing W10

After download W10 to usb on my laptop , I in stalled it to PC ,it download updates installed them said restart , hit restart ,it restarted and screen went blank and it won't re boot

glynnwatts, Dec 14, 2016
  3. paulw67ZV Win User
    Windows 10 won't open progs

After my old computer died during the w10 update I've now got a new one successfully installed w10 but now it won't open any progs only Internet I'm trying to get into settings personalise some stuff as i ran out of time after install opens menu but it
    won't open any options I can't even open control panel to restore to b4 w10 my security says it needs to restart computer to update but I can't open the PROG HOW CAN I RETURN TO B4 W10? I've seen similar questions posted but as I can't open any progs there
    not much use .

paulw67ZV, Dec 14, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, try booting from a Win 10 install disk/drive and navigate to System Restore. See if you have any usable restore points. (Only applicable if at some point you turned system restore on).

Failing that, try restoring the backup copy of your registry. Note: I assume you have not yet discovered and started to use disk imaging routinely, which we so strongly and repeatedly recommend. A disk image would allow you to recover your PC to a previously working state, normally without technical help. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage for images.

Recover registry from Windows backup.doc

dalchina, Dec 14, 2016
  5. CraigB Win User
    I know I have restore points, but I can't get to them. Using the recovery disk only takes me to the same place as F8 - Recovery page that says Windows didnt load properly. Gives me buttons to "See advanced repair options" or Restart my PC" but the keyboard & mouse will not respond to allow me to use either of them. The advanced repair option is highlighted, but I can't activate it.

CraigB, Dec 14, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hello, if your PC won't boot from a boot disk, I suggest you have a hardware problem.

F8 has no normal meaning in the boot process of Win 10.

Have you actually configured your BIOS boot order so it will look for and boot from a bootable CD/DVD if one is present before trying to boot from your HDD?

If you find difficulty booting from the Win 10 installation disk (are you really booting from that, or still booting from your hard disk?) I recommend for simplicity you download and try Kyhi's disk from the Software and Apps section. There will be no possibility of confusion there as it runs its own version of Windows from RAM, as do all such boot disks. When it runs, you will see an unfamiliar desktop with shortcuts to the tools included.

dalchina, Dec 14, 2016
  7. CraigB Win User
    Made sure it would boot from the disk then tried Kyhi's disks. Neither the x86 or the x64 tools would boot up to the recovery option. Took off the cover & blew out the dust and checked the batteries. Now when I power it on, I'm getting a constant beeping. Guess I'm just going to have to take it into the shop.

CraigB, Dec 17, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Ok, hope you have some luck there.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. W10 Won't Restart After Update - Similar Threads - W10 Won't Restart

2. Windows Won't Restart After Downloading Cumulative Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Won't Restart After Downloading Cumulative Update: Hello, Windows Update automatically installs Cumulative Update, and now it wants me to restart. The problem is I can't. I clicked the restart blue button on the setting. Didn't work. I tried from the start option. Didn't work. I tried using DISM and Scannow, and nothing was...
  3. PC won't restart properly after Windows updates

in Windows 10 Support
    PC won't restart properly after Windows updates: TL;DR: Windows does an update and I restart it using Start->Restart. PC appears to shutdown (monitor, kbd and fan off), but PC power light still on. Never restarts. Must power down manually and power up manually, then it's fine until the next update. DETAILS: I have a new PC...
  4. after W10 update what happens during the restart process

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    after W10 update what happens during the restart process: I was always curious about what happens during the restart process after a W10 update is installed. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-w10-update-what-happens-during-the-restart/b027ec28-909a-473c-b9f7-6d6518ea7901
  5. what happens when the computer restarts after a W10 update?

what happens when the computer restarts after a W10 update?: Just a curiosity question. What happens during a restart after a W10 update and what would happen if the power would go out during a update restart? Thanks...
  6. After Windows 10 update "restart" won't work

After Windows 10 update "restart" won't work: Hello all, Windows 10 update to version 1909 hit my computer yesterday. The update would stall and just show the PCs brand name ASUS on the screen forever. I figured later that I had to manually shut down the computer and start again several times for the update to...
  7. Computer won't restart after latest update

Computer won't restart after latest update: After the Sept 11 "critical update", my computer wouldn't restart. It would run the hardware diagnostics, which showed nothing, and then would recycle again and again to "repair". I had to revert the system to the last restore point a few days ago to regain access to my...
  8. W10 won't update to 1803

W10 won't update to 1803: That's error 0xa000400 Very new machine that came with 1709. None of the the help found on MS or other sites seems to apply or work to fix this. ????...
  9. Windows 10 won't install updates after restart

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 won't install updates after restart: Just now my PC finished downloading build 15002 and asked me to reboot to install the build. I did not do it immediately because I was busy. But now that I've been trying to reboot to install, the PC just restarted, did not install anything. I tried "update and restart"...
  10. Monitor won't display after latest W10 update install

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor won't display after latest W10 update install: Hi, new to the forum and I thank any in advance for entertaining this noob's dilemma. I purchased a HP desktop a couple of years ago with W8, upgraded to 8.1 and subsequently to 10. The computer has had no previous issues/problems, until the latest round of updates. I've...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. w10 restart