Windows 10: W10 won't shut down fully

Discus and support W10 won't shut down fully in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Win+x and type uu or right click the start button and use those power and shutdown options always work :/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ThrashZone, Apr 4, 2018.

1. W10 won't shut down fully

Hi,
    Win+x and type uu or right click the start button and use those power and shutdown options always work :/

ThrashZone, Apr 4, 2018
  2. JamesT67 Win User

Hey guys,

My PC is refusing to shut down properly. Windows exits, my screen goes black, but the computer is still on. It doesn't go off - I even left it overnight so it's not like it's a matter of waiting it out. I then have to just hold the power button until it's off, which I'm assuming is only going to make it worse if I keep doing it, but it's that or I can't use my PC. Strangely, it doesn't affect start up or the general running of the computer. It's as if Windows thinks the PC is switching off fine.

So I've tried a few of the obvious solutions:

• Full Windows reset - nothing but the pre-installed programs now
    • Updated all drivers
    • Updated BIOS
    • Disabled Intel Management Engine (which seemed to be a common solution in similar threads)

When I switched off hibernate and fast startup (again seemed to be a common solution) it just froze on the blue 'Shutting down' screen.

I've now sat for hours banging my head off the wall with this so I figured I'd ask if anyone had any ideas. Am I able to view crash logs somehow?

Cheers!

:)

JamesT67, Apr 13, 2018
  3. my computer won't shut down properly.

Windows 10 - my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power
    button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions? Thanks In Advance.

RaihanMahmudBD, Apr 13, 2018
  4. W10 won't shut down fully

Windows 10 computer not shutting down correctly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold
    the physical power button down till it shuts down. Then when I restart the system warns me that the last shutdown did not work properly and it gives me a choice to troubleshoot or restart. When I choose restart everything seems to load as normal. Any suggestions?

sachinnakhate, Apr 13, 2018
  5. Hi JamesT67. Welcome to the TenForums @JamesT67

Wish I had simple answer. This thread has other ideas

Computer does not shutdown since i installed windows 10

Like disabling hibernation

or using Intel Management Engine 9.5

Creating new power plan

disconnecting all USB devices to ensure it is not one of them

Just a question, when you loaded new BIOS did you load and save defaults settings?

When did this all start and did you make any other hardware or software changes. Patch Tuesday was last Tuesday, April 10th, did this start after that?

Caledon Ken, Apr 13, 2018
  6. JamesT67 Win User
    Thanks for the reply, I'll have a look through that thread and try a few of the other possibilities.

I see Intel Management Engine mentioned a lot - how would I go about getting version 9.5? I'm unable to roll back drivers through the device manager...

As for the BIOS, I selected default settings. Should I have done something else?

This started away last year, I've been putting off dealing with it because it was irritating me, so I don't think it's anything to do with the most recent update.

edit: I should also say I haven't added any new hardware and I've disconnected everything other than my keyboard and mouse.

JamesT67, Apr 14, 2018
  7. Check Asus site for the Mgmt Engine for a start.

No as long as you loaded defaults that should cover it.

If you had this long then some of these old fixes maybe applicable. Wow, you have patience.

If you do find the driver to prevent windows from undoing your hard work, Option 4 this tutorial.

Enable or Disable Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10

Caledon Ken, Apr 14, 2018
  8. Callender Win User

W10 won't shut down fully

Callender, Apr 14, 2018
Thema:

W10 won't shut down fully

1. W10 won't shut down fully - Similar Threads - W10 won't shut

2. PC doesn't fully shut down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC doesn't fully shut down: Starting recently, when I shut off my pc it doesn't seem to fully turn off. The monitor shuts off and the computer looks to be shut down no lights on or anything, but when I boot up my pc later and look in task manager, the up time says that the computer has been on the whole...
  3. PC doesn't fully shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC doesn't fully shut down: Starting recently, when I shut off my pc it doesn't seem to fully turn off. The monitor shuts off and the computer looks to be shut down no lights on or anything, but when I boot up my pc later and look in task manager, the up time says that the computer has been on the whole...
  4. PC doesn't fully shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Computer won't fully shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer won't fully shut down: Simply put, my computer won't fully shut down for some reason. I select to shut down the computer and it seems to shut down as it always does. However, LEDs, Fans, etc. are still running while my monitor shows no connection to the computer. I've seen that people suggested...
  6. Computer won't fully shut down

Computer won't fully shut down: Simply put, my computer won't fully shut down for some reason. I select to shut down the computer and it seems to shut down as it always does. However, LEDs, Fans, etc. are still running while my monitor shows no connection to the computer. I've seen that people suggested...
  7. Computer won't fully shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. PC not fully shutting down

PC not fully shutting down: When I shut down my computer, my monitor loses signal but my pc stays on and doesn't fully shut down. This forces me to shut it down using the power button on the case, which I don't like doing cause I've heard it can cause harm. I have tried updating my graphics card...
  9. PC does not fully shut down.

PC does not fully shut down.: Hi all, I've got an odd situation that I haven't been able to find a solution. As of a couple of days ago, when I click on my PC to shut down through the start menu, *Windows* will shut down, but my hardware seems to remain active. This does not happen all the time though,...
  10. pc not fully shutting down

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    pc not fully shutting down: i recently built my new computer but everytime i shut down the gpu and fans and monitor doesnt shut down, only windows. when i try to restart to download drivers (i had to download them on an existing computer) when it starts to turn back on its just a black screen so i have...