Windows 10: W10Pro, Custom Image, Clean Install, Multiple Disk, Push Button Reset

Discus and support W10Pro, Custom Image, Clean Install, Multiple Disk, Push Button Reset in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I've been following tutorial here and on Technet since last year when Windows decided to do an auto-update on my old laptop which hastened its... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NeoBeum, Jul 11, 2016.

1. NeoBeum Win User

W10Pro, Custom Image, Clean Install, Multiple Disk, Push Button Reset

Hello, I've been following tutorial here and on Technet since last year when Windows decided to do an auto-update on my old laptop which hastened its demise.

Since then, I've bought a new laptop (Originally with Windows 8.1, until it suffered the Auto-Update fate of it's predecessor), that I've half heartedly made a custom Windows 10 image for, but just wanted to ask here to see if I'm on the right track for what I want do do.

My goal was to replicate the best as I can what the Laptop would have been like, had the OEM originally put Windows 10 Pro on to it, with the correct drivers, and software, but, with a change to hardware configuration to move the 'Users' folder to another Disk, while the OS was installed on another.

I'm getting ready to start my studies again, and wanted to get my laptop running correctly and not have any incidents similar to last year that ended up trashing my assignments.

I've been on the phone to Microsoft already & also had remote support, but I am slowly beginning to lose my trust, if not already, because it took a tech 3 hours to get me a link to a Windows 8.1 ISO that worked, after telling him I didn't want Windows 10 installed on the current laptop he was remotely connected to, and that was after he gave me the link I gave him that didn't work, and also just before he tried to push Windows 10 on to the laptop that I told him I didn't want Windows 10 installed on to, and I also threatened to ask for a refund for the Professional edition I had just bought.
    Not only that, but I had another tech tell me my 8.1 Academic license was basically a perpetual key that could activate multiple computers with Windows 10 Pro, and I also had Senior technicians blow their mind when they connected to both my tablet/transformer book and my laptop to find they were using the exact same retail key, with my transformer book losing it's original OEM key.
    I also had a lengthy conversation (swearing mostly) with them after Candy Crush decided to install itself on to the Professional Edition.

We then found out that any created newly Microsoft account will automatically 'Own' the Candy Crush app in the Windows Store & I told them that it was unacceptable.

Hearing the the anniversay build will enable you to hide all that junk in the Windows store, I wanted to get my set up working properly, without intervention from anyone at the call centre, because I simply do not trust them anymore.

Here is a more detailed list of my hardware and what I'm trying to do & things I have experienced so far:

Laptop:

• Disk 0 - Needs to be the NVMe Disk. (If I do a reset, with multiple disks, partitioning may or may not be done on this disk on the PCIE slot, but on the Disk that is currently connected to SATA)

Is there a way for me to do a clean install and specify that the OS must go on to the NVMe Disk?
      I thought about trying to tell the installation to check which controller the drive is in and select the NVME but I don't know how to do that.
      I also thought about trying to compare drive sizes and tell the installation to carry out the partition script on the drive that is the smaller of the two; NVME = 256GB, SATA = 512GB, but I don't know how to do that either.

• Or, Do I really need to do an installation with only one drive connected?
      because: Disk 1 - Is the disk where 'Users' folder will be located. Previously, I have successfully installed W10 and W8 with two drives and moved the Users folder during installation, however, I did not need to specify a disk, as they were both the same.

• I'm following tutorials here:

OEM deployment of Windows 10 for desktop editions

But since first starting this project/repair in August last year, the tutorials at the MSDN site have referred tutorials to multiple programs from the ADK; DISM, Windows ICD, Windows SIM, and this year I came across one that asked me to use Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager.

I am now completely confused as to where and what I should be doing? What would be the best for me?

• I'll need to write a new script to partition the NVME disk with an extra hidden partition to store all the customizations, install image, and settings, so that if required and my laptop blows up like last time, I am able to perform a clean install by booting to Windows PE/RE and installing from that partition.

All my attempts so far results in an unstable refresh, because:

I've gotten lazy booted in to Recovery mode, and xcopied the entire User folder to another disk, rename it on the OS to 'BACKUP' and created a junction link to the other Disk, and then didn't move it back after reset/refresh, and the refresh doesn't contain an unattended file to move the folder back to the other disk because I've been stuck.

I did use an Unattend file after following the tutorial here, but found that it still left a User folder on the OS Drive, and on first log on Windows would create libraries on both drives.

I've probably followed the tutorials correctly, but because they have all been seperate projects I've done, my attempt to merge them all in to one is completely wrong, and somewhere along the way I am doing something incorrectly.

What is the correct procedure for what I am trying to do? Junction link the User folder to Disk 1, or use the Unattend file?

• Going from the beginning, what would be the best process for me?

I've downloaded the stand alone Updates for Windows 10 and I will attempt to add those to my custom image, as well has the drivers for the notebook.

I have a set of drivers that I want & added to the image and do not want Windows to install the drivers that it thinks I should have, because the driver/software set that it installs removes some of the functionality I have with the drivers I have selected.

Will I need to use DISM, Windows ICD, Windows SIM & Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager? or will I be able to everything using just one of those?

• Would this be acceptable for partions & Correct order, on the OS disk with the Custom Recovery/Install?

[Windows Recovery] [EFI System] [Reserved] [The Fixed Size Custom Recovery Partition & Install.wim & Drivers, etc.] [Primary] [Over Provisioning]

I've attached an image of the current setup of the hard drives in Disk Management and Diskpart

I'm currently studying Computer programming, and wanted to take this on as a project and get it right, as I wanted to be able to work with hardware and software, so I can develop things that makes life easier for other people.

Thanks.

:)

NeoBeum, Jul 11, 2016

2. * Critical Error * Start Menu and Cortana aren't working.

This worked for me. If you have a custom computer or a computer with a reset button. Push that

Chris Swift13, Jul 11, 2016
  3. Install Win 10 Pro as dual boot currently have Win 7 Pro

so you mean no needed Primary partition [only logical] nor format the Partition, for installing W10pro in disk management w7pro???

Lse123polis, Jul 11, 2016
Thema:

W10Pro, Custom Image, Clean Install, Multiple Disk, Push Button Reset

1. W10Pro, Custom Image, Clean Install, Multiple Disk, Push Button Reset - Similar Threads - W10Pro Custom Image

2. Multiple disk images

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple disk images: Hi,We have 10 identical Win10 laptops running the same software, but different laptop names of course.Setting up recovery: Anyway to create a single recovery USB and single IMAGE backup to service all machines? Not networked so I can do identical names if necessary. Avoid...
  3. Multiple disk images

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple disk images: Hi,We have 10 identical Win10 laptops running the same software, but different laptop names of course.Setting up recovery: Anyway to create a single recovery USB and single IMAGE backup to service all machines? Not networked so I can do identical names if necessary. Avoid...
  4. Multiple disk images

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Multiple disk images: Hi,We have 10 identical Win10 laptops running the same software, but different laptop names of course.Setting up recovery: Anyway to create a single recovery USB and single IMAGE backup to service all machines? Avoid name and license issues.Thnx...
  5. PLEASE HELP push button reset undo

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PLEASE HELP push button reset undo: Apparently I initiated a push button reset accidentally and now all off the files from my desktop are gone! How can I get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/please-help-push-button-reset-undo/379a5ad8-33e7-4096-8dc5-d1708d1366c9"
  6. Push button reset

in Windows 10 Support
    Push button reset: Push button reset partition was just found on my win10 pro machine. google search revealed it was seemly an updated version of a restore point. it takes up 4.2 gigs of the 16 gig partition. Instructions in its use are sadly lacking. Anyone have any experience with this ? 130022
  7. Push button reset

in Windows 10 Customization
    Push button reset: Hello, I'm working for a project where we want to customize Win10 and retain the customization after a Push Button Reset. I was able to create a ppkg package with scanstate to retain apps. We would like to find a way to retain some user settings as well like favorites and...
  8. Clean Install - Multiple drives

Clean Install - Multiple drives: I have a Gateway ZX6800 AIO - previously W7 to W10 upgrades failed but I was able to do clean install. I did this on using a new Samsung SSD with other HD disconnected. I upgrade storage drive from 1TB to 2TB and copied all my data files to the new drive (D*Smile. I have W10...
  9. Possible to clean install w10pro without activation?

Possible to clean install w10pro without activation?: I used the media creation tool to get a w10 iso. Apparently there used to be an option select pro vs home, but no longer. During install when I skip activation, it installs the home version. Do I have to activate to get the choice of pro vs home, or is there a way around...
  10. Reset or Clean install?

Reset or Clean install?: My brother has a Gateway SX2110G Win10 (x64) desktop that he got from a friend when it was on Windows 8. It’s now on Win10 1703 and runs well but the original owner’s account is still on the computer. I want to reset or clean install so he’s the only account on it. I’m...