Windows 10: W10's brain damaged way to assign apps <-> file types

Discus and support W10's brain damaged way to assign apps <-> file types in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; One of the biggest annoyances of Windows 10 is the absolutely brain damaged way to assign file types to applications. For most file types if one right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by mmo, Aug 13, 2017.

1. MMO
    mmo Win User

W10's brain damaged way to assign apps <-> file types

One of the biggest annoyances of Windows 10 is the absolutely brain damaged way to assign file types to applications. For most file types if one right clicks the right hand side the only option is the already assigned application or "Look for an app in the store".

On my wife's computer I just wanted to assign epub's (an e-book format) to Edge (since Edge can handle that format). But there is no way to assign Edge to handle epubs! The currently assigned application is "Internet Explorer" (which had no clue how to handle epubs) and one can not download Edge from the store for obvious reasons (since it comes preinstalled with the system and is not available in the store).

Result: it is impossible to read an epub file on my wife's MS Surface tablet just and only due to this braindamaged file type assignment handling in Windows 10! What did these guys smoke when designing this dialogue?

:)

2. Rufus07 Win User

However, it seems that some files may have been corrupted or damaged as Windows Update fails to work and I get some errors when running SFC and DISM fails to repair .

<Original title: Updating an already installed windows 10 Pro>

<p>I already have a w10 Pro installation on my pc. However, it seems that some files may have been corrupted or damaged as Windows Update fails to work and I get some errors when running SFC and DISM fails to repair even though I have a ISO Source located
    on a USB-stick. The DISM cannot locate the Source file even though the syntax is according to what Microsoft says.</p><p>Now, contacting Microsoft they tell me that I can create a clean W10 installation With the approved tool and then upgrade the installed
    W10 Pro on my pc from the USB-stick containing the created W10 on the USB-stick.</p><p>Anyone have any info on this and if it is the way to establish a new W10 installation on my pc retaining all the apps, then why is it not mentioned anywhere either With
    Microsof or in the community?</p><p>I am tempted to try but would appreciate any comment on this beforehand.</p>

Rufus07, Aug 13, 2017
  3. da1234567 Win User
    Update driver error

I'm : Thanks.

1) Acer v 1.09, November 30th2009 / Aspire 5517

2) Pop-up window:

"Windows cannot find 'wuapp.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try

again. " <-- I did not type, only pressed links in I.E.11 as follows:
    Tools Menu>Windows Update <--

then the pop-up window.

3) Misunderstanding: precisely, I can't find an updater in M.E., or in the W10 File Explorer.

In W8.1Pro w/Media Ctr., File Explorer: Control Panel>System & Security>"System" > Update (something

or other). This subcategory link is missing in W10's subcategory listing altogether - in my W10 installation.

Thanks again.

da1234567, Aug 13, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 13, 2017
  5. MMO
    mmo Win User
    Unfortunately, none of the methods described in the tutorial worked:

Method 1 & 7: I don't want to reset all file types! It took me already long enough to assign a couple of types that had no defaults. Furthermore, my wife hates Edge as browser, so assigning it to handle all its possible file types is no option here.

Method 2. The "Open with..."-approach does not work either. Edge is not listed here.

Method 3 & 4: There is only that dreaded "Look for an app in the store" and no "Look for another app on this PC" option in the file type dialog (although for Edge that probably wouldn't work anyway, since there is no "edge.exe" to assign here as it is a "modern app". ||-(

Method 5: There is no protocol involved here. We are dealing with local files here.

Method 6: The set defaults by app method does not work either. For some strange reason on my Surface, "epub" is one of the listed file types for Edge, but on my wife's computer "epub" is missing from fhat list. And there seems no way to edit this list of file types. :-(

Method 8: Edge is not listed as possible application. And one can not assign it using "Other app"...

I guess the root of the problem is, that Edge - at least on this system - is not listed as possible handler for epub files. Guess my next action will be to dive into the registry...

6. TairikuOkami, Aug 13, 2017
  7. MMO
    mmo Win User
    Thanks - that might help. But - as I had to learn - there is no executable (.exe) for Edge. How can I assign it as the app to be called?

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Do you see Microsoft Edge listed in the Start Menu -> All Apps list?

If so, will is successfully open?

Running the command below should open Microsoft Edge if there's no issue with it.

*Arrow %windir%\explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge

Brink, Aug 13, 2017
  9. Berton Win User
    That command works fine when pasted into Command Prompt [Administrator] but not in PowerShell, basically says it can't find things with this message:

Berton, Aug 14, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yeah, the %windir% variable doesn't work in PowerShell, but you can use this below instead. *Smile

explorer shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge

Brink, Aug 14, 2017
  11. MMO
    mmo Win User
    Yes - Edge opens fine from the start menu.
    Unfortunately it is not possible to assign the above line into the "Search an app on this PC" dialog. This yields an error message
    "can't find explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge"
    Obviously the dialog check for the existence of that file and can't handle that name (or rather: name plus argument), even if I replace %windir% with its value.

12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 14, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

You don't have to. You can use Option Seven, step 4 to pick and choose individual file types to set. Select Mirosoft Edge and click on 'Choose defaults for this program'. It has a tick-box for .epub.

Thema:

1. W10's brain damaged way to assign apps <-> file types - Similar Threads - W10's brain damaged

2. Is there a way to have W10's sounds' program events use *.MP3 files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to have W10's sounds' program events use *.MP3 files?: Beside old *.WAV files?Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-have-w10s-sounds-program-events/76ace603-4fb2-4db6-8d7a-cf1c51fb9eba
  3. Is there a way to have W10's sounds' program events use *.MP3 files?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a way to have W10's sounds' program events use *.MP3 files?: Beside old *.WAV files?Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-have-w10s-sounds-program-events/76ace603-4fb2-4db6-8d7a-cf1c51fb9eba
  4. File type assigned by Paint 3d

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File type assigned by Paint 3d: I am using Windows 11 and have many images on my computer which have been edited using paint 3d. All of these files are of file type "Paint 3d .jpg" rather than just ".jpg".Recently I have tried searching for duplicate copies of these files on my computer but whilst the...
  5. File type assigned by Paint 3d

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File type assigned by Paint 3d: I am using Windows 11 and have many images on my computer which have been edited using paint 3d. All of these files are of file type "Paint 3d .jpg" rather than just ".jpg".Recently I have tried searching for duplicate copies of these files on my computer but whilst the...
  6. App to help aging brain

App to help aging brain: Odd title yes, but one that will strike a chord with other Silver Surfers! As I get older I find it harder to juggle several projects and keep track of how far I've got with one or which one I was last working on. So it would be nice to have an app that would help with that....
  7. App to help ageing brain

App to help ageing brain: Odd title yes, but one that will strike a chord with other Silver Surfers! As I get older I find it harder to juggle several projects and keep track of how far I've got with one or which one I was last working on. So it would be nice to have an app that would help with that....
  8. Can't change which app is assigned to a file type.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't change which app is assigned to a file type.: I'm trying to change a file type associated with an extension. When I click on the "Change" line in "File Explorer Options" all I get s a blue window with a white gear symbol instead of the file type list. What am I doing wrong?...
  9. File Explorer: Manually assign file types to set type of views?

File Explorer: Manually assign file types to set type of views?: I think I'll need a third-party app to do this, or back in the day we had custom super tweaks to windows that could do these things but... explained hopefully as simply as possible; In File Explorer I would love to have a way it knows what type of items are within that...
  10. Brain-damaged behavior when trying to encrypt system drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Brain-damaged behavior when trying to encrypt system drive: I am trying to enable BitLocker on my system drive. The first time I tried, the system declared, that it can't do so, because some preconditions was not fulfilled. Googling for that error message I found out, that this error message indicates that the RE (Recovery...