Windows 10: W7 good though it is seems REALLY SLOW after latest W10 builds

Discus and support W7 good though it is seems REALLY SLOW after latest W10 builds in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there I have nothing against W7 -- probably the best OS Ms has produced -- however is it just a "perceptional thing" or is it really SLOW... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, May 3, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

W7 good though it is seems REALLY SLOW after latest W10 builds

Hi there

I have nothing against W7 -- probably the best OS Ms has produced -- however is it just a "perceptional thing" or is it really SLOW compared to W10 - especially the latest builds.

W7 seems to take an age to boot up and start while W10 seems to be ready almost at once. In fact the latest W10 build boots nearly as fast as my CENTOS 7 Linux system which has an incredibly fast boot anyway.

All systems running on IDENTICAL hardware as REAL machines with the OS running from dedicated SSD's I.e no shared files etc on the SSD's -- just the OS.

If you like W7 continue using it but I really do find W10 so much snappier -- even though it's not a finished product yet (especially the Start menu shenanigans going on).

I quite like the idea also of LIVE tiles --especially in a Multi-monitor environment --hopefully those will appear in the next builds.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 3, 2015
  2. GlenW10 Win User

How do prevent Windows 10 from installing on my W/7 laptop

AntonyJose

That is good information, if and when I switch to W10.

I am currently on W7

My question though if you look at my information is how to STOP W10 installing, while still being able to do W7 security updates.

Glen

GlenW10, May 3, 2015
  3. Why does Windows suck so bad

I think I'm going to get a W7 and reinstall my new CR4P laptop because w10 is so slow its unusable.

EXTRA SLOW AFTER IT UPDATES.

NeilsFedUpWithVCF's, May 3, 2015
  4. Williams Win User

Boot time is not the only factor to select an OS, at least for me.

On the other hand, Win 10 are faster than Windows 7. I agree with you.

What do you think about Windows 8.1 comparing with Windows 10? Personally, hard to say which is faster.

jisr7

Williams, May 3, 2015
  5. My W10 VMs seem to start faster than my W7 VMs.
    However I can't do any direct comparisons as my W7 VMs actually have lot more programs installed on them, than my W10 VMs do.

I noticed that my W10 VMs originally booted in ~20 seconds, after installing a few programs they now take ~55 seconds to boot.
    I haven't installed MS Office or any Adobe stuff either. *Eek

lehnerus2000, May 3, 2015
  6. How fast is "Win10" in boot to desktop when restarting ? (when compared to 7 and 8.1 ).

Anshad Edavana, May 3, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    Too many factors to really say whether Win8.1 is just as fast as Win10 on boot. First off are you using an HDD or SSD. That's a big difference and an SSD is much faster than any HDD. And Win7 is slower to boot than either Win8.1/Win10.

So for me both Win8.1/Win10 boot on my SSD in about the same time.. YMMV
    YMMV = Your millage may vary..
    Jeff

BunnyJ, May 3, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

I think that Win8.1 and Win10 are just about the same, boot time wise.

BunnyJ, May 3, 2015
  9. Boozad Win User
    Any OS running on an SSD shouldn't have a boot time long enough to bother anybody. If you're desperate to get into your OS a few seconds quicker just leave your PC on all the time! Seriously, the difference in boot time between 7 and 8/8.1/10 shouldn't be enough to cause anyone any trouble.

Boozad, May 3, 2015
  10. kenC Win User
    Isn't it true that W8 doesn't really shut down, but goes into a kind of hibernation saving the OS in a file on the hard-drive?
    I would imagine that W10 does the same, hence the quick boot.

11. Gary Win User
    I do not have an SSD but my windows 7 boots fairly fast but when I use it I, I just put it to sleep. Windows 10 boots a little faster. I have 64 Processes running , on 7 only about 50

12. Saltgrass Win User
    I agree with jisr7, how fast a system boots doesn't make that much difference. What does matter is if the system is usable when it reaches the Desktop.

Windows 7 booted fine for me even without the benefit of the newer bioses which skip part of the startup so they can boot faster. But my Windows 10 system, right now takes longer to boot than Windows 7 ever did, possibly because of the problems with the video drivers.

What annoys me is the 15-20 seconds after I get to the Desktop for it to be operational and not doing stuff in the background.

If you are just trying to find a way to make Windows 10 look better, for me, boot time is not it...

Saltgrass, May 4, 2015
  13. WHS
    whs Win User

My W10 needs twice the time to boot compared to W8.1 - in an exact same environment. And for the rest I would wait for the RTM and a normal setup system. W7 Beta was extremely fast too.

14. badrobot Win User
    My 7 boots up in 45sec max. That to me is acceptable for a very stable and highly compatible OS.

badrobot, May 4, 2015
  15. WHS
    whs Win User
    See, and my Windows 10 needs 59 secomds.

W7 good though it is seems REALLY SLOW after latest W10 builds [​IMG]

Thema:

1. W7 good though it is seems REALLY SLOW after latest W10 builds - Similar Threads - though seems REALLY

2. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  3. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  4. Computer really slow after the latest update, it’s frustrating.

Computer really slow after the latest update, it’s frustrating.: My computer just updated itself to the latest windows 10 update 25 Aug 20, but it’s been really slow ever since, apps take forever to open, and every app starts lagging, everytime I press on a button it freezes for about a minute, I’ve tried all tips and tricks to maximize...
  5. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  6. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  7. W7 or W10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W7 or W10: Hi everyone, I have got W10 for a while. Now I have upgraded my PC. But, Lots of part of the motherboard / sound, graphic / can't work properly, because their drivers were writing for W7. Under W10 they just work on basic level. The issue about the compatibility makes lags...
  8. Slow LAN access to shared folders w7 > w10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow LAN access to shared folders w7 > w10: Hello. I have an older PC (Phenom 1, crappy nForce chipset) that was running slow under Win7. I have installed Win10 from scratch (x64) and it's running better but when trying to access some shared folders with another Win10 computer, it takes a long time and it usually...
  9. Unable to rollback W10 to W7 even though windows.old is on C:\

Unable to rollback W10 to W7 even though windows.old is on C:\: When I try to rollback W10 to W7 I get the message "Sorry, you can't go back. Files we need were removed." I have removed nothing and the 3 files I've found in forums that are needed, Windows.old; $windows.-BT; and $windows.-SW are on my C:\ drive and their properties show...
  10. slow boot after latest W10 updates

in Windows 10 Support
    slow boot after latest W10 updates: This morning after windows installed these updates my startup time increased significantly. I've had fast startup enabled. It stays on the welcome screen for at least 10 seconds 15598