Windows 10: W7Home to W10Pro with DL, new PC wont activate after clean install

Discus and support W7Home to W10Pro with DL, new PC wont activate after clean install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey all, I built this PC for my good friend about 6 years ago, and along the way upgraded the OS to W10 just before the free upgrade expired I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bullfights, Apr 13, 2017.

1. W7Home to W10Pro with DL, new PC wont activate after clean install

Hey all,

I built this PC for my good friend about 6 years ago, and along the way upgraded the OS to W10 just before the free upgrade expired I think...

He asks me to build another and I do, but when I ask him if he remember what OS he has he didnt seem to remember, nor did I, so I asked him to take a look at start button and from there I asked if the button was round or square....his was a version before it went square so I thought it was W7 lol, so I downloaded Win7 Home as that was the DVD disk I also had, then installed it on new PC, but I had issues with updates and told him I will install Win10Home, so I did. He didnt create a MS account so nothing was sync'd up. I took new PC and set it up, then took his old PC home to back up and see that its WIN10Pro with Digital License, crap!

So I searched here and elsewhere about how to go from 32 bit to 64 bit, clean install only, and Home to Pro, but to also accept the digital license.

I went to his house last night having read other posts and figured I would have him create a MS account to sign in on the old PC and sync up, then I did a clean install with W10Pro x64, using the media creation tool in the 32bit WinPro old PC, set it up on usb drive, went to new PC installed Win10Pro x64, signing in with newly created MS account from old PC, and went thru troubleshooter in activation and it came up with cannot activate windows 10, to try again later or something like that.....

so question now do I need to call MS support or should I wait a few days first and try again.

Sorry for detailed but that's how I write...

Gerry

:)

bullfights, Apr 13, 2017

2. W10Pro crashed my pc after W7Pro update

Updated to W10Pro after a short time enjoying it stopped to fix and restart, over and over.

Decided for Clean install of W10Pro, started fine then cashed and rebooted over and over. Turned off PC

In haste did a clean install of Linux Mint 17.2 cinnamon, calmed down some and remembered that I have original disc and key for W7Pro "upgrade" from Vista.

Inserted disc to pc with Linux on it, clicked .exe that is inside the disc and get an error message. Cannot continue to install Upgrade.

How can I get my W7Pro installed ( I assume that's what I need to do ) with Linux.

My objective: To work my way back to W10Pro.

Thanks

rcalzadilla, Apr 13, 2017
  3. Error code: 0xC004C003 on clean reinstall of activated Windows 10

I hope we don't have to buy new Keys... I Upgraded from windows 7 After the upgrade i checked to see if it was activated and it was... Then I Did the Clean install... Now it wont activate with the same error code.

AndrewJones_993, Apr 13, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

W7Home to W10Pro with DL, new PC wont activate after clean install

In a Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin) run:

slmgr /ato

Did that activate it?

NavyLCDR, Apr 13, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    To go from 32-bit to 64-bit you have to do a clean install, there's no upgrade path that can change the 'bits'.

If you install the correct edition (Home or Pro) that matches the digital licence held on the activation servers then it should activate automatically. If you install Pro on a machine that has a digital licence for Home (or the other way round) it won't activate.

The simple solution if you have installed the wrong one is to go to Settings > Update & security > Activation then change the product key to the generic key for the edition you want. There's a list of the generic keys here. When the version matches the digital licence it should activate.

The Microsoft account is a bit of a red herring. While you can link a licence to a MS account, this is for transferring a full retail licence form one machine to another (or to the same machine after major hardware changes) - not for activating multiple machines from a single licence. Anyway, as this PC got its licence through the free upgrade, this licence it tied to the machine's hardware and the EULA says it is not transferable.

6. I will check out, thanks

bullfights, Apr 13, 2017
  7. Yeah I read that also, i didnt think it was possible but searched anyways lol

At first I installed Home edition in the new PC, until I learned it was Pro, then made clean install to Pro edition

Hmm ok will try

hmmm, hopefully not, I had him purchase the Home edition 64 bit, so if cant activate with Pro then have him downgrade and use Home edition keys.

Thanks

bullfights, Apr 13, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Assuming this is the full retail version and not an OEM one, then AFAIK that can be legitimately transferred from one machine to another by linking it to an MS account.
    Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License

9. Yes it's a retail...purchased from Newegg...Cool I'll check that out next week...it delivers tomorrow so will tell him to stand by til I get back.
    Thanks

bullfights, Apr 13, 2017
  10. simrick Win User
    Just FYI: Usually Newegg sell OEM System Builder Keys and they are not full retail (not transferable), so make sure you have a full retail key.

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. W7Home to W10Pro with DL, new PC wont activate after clean install - Similar Threads - W7Home W10Pro wont

2. Tranfer W10pro license to new PC running W11pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tranfer W10pro license to new PC running W11pro: Dear community,I have bought a new system which came without an OS. On my now old machine I am running a RETAIL Windows10pro license which is said to be 'activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account'On the new machine I've installed W11pro but it needs to...
  3. can't activate w10pro retail

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    can't activate w10pro retail: OS: windows 10 pro retail Build: 1903 OS Build 18362.356 computer: custom built install type: from scratch, not an upgrade Hello, When I try to activate windows with my product key I get "Unable to activate windows" and get an error code 0x803fa067 no letter l or L...
  4. Activating after clean install

Activating after clean install: Hello, i have an oem license key and i want to know if i wnsted to clean install woyld i need to re enter the key or would it automatically activate? ***moved on english forum***...
  5. Reactivate W10pro US-EN on PC where before it WAS digitally activated as W10pro DE

Reactivate W10pro US-EN on PC where before it WAS digitally activated as W10pro DE: 1. The MS account which I used to login here is NOT connected to the problem the computer on which I now work has. The actual computer uses a local account only! 2. On this PC here I deleted the C drive today. Before, it had a German Win 10 pro edition (1909.18363.418) which...
  6. Windows not activated after clean install

Windows not activated after clean install: Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading with free upgrade? Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded. I did exactly this. I upgraded from a windows 7 pro system...
  7. Windows not activated after clean install

Windows not activated after clean install: Hello, I upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the windows updater. After windows 10 was installed, I decided to download this Windows 10 and chose the USB option. I booted into my USB and when selecting the partition, I deleted every partition that was there (even the...
  8. No activation after clean install

No activation after clean install: I upgraded Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. All went well and it showed as activated. Today I did a clean install and all went well. However, after clean install it shows it is not activated and they want money for a key. What is going on? 13573
  9. Activation after clean install.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation after clean install.: I have an older laptop which was given to me. It started out life as XP ! - but it now has windows 10 and was running quite happily until the creators update trickled down. I have tried everything to upgrade but it always fails. I am thinking a totally fresh install would...
  10. Possible to clean install w10pro without activation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Possible to clean install w10pro without activation?: I used the media creation tool to get a w10 iso. Apparently there used to be an option select pro vs home, but no longer. During install when I skip activation, it installs the home version. Do I have to activate to get the choice of pro vs home, or is there a way around...