Windows 10: W8.1/W10 dual use, same product key?

Discus and support W8.1/W10 dual use, same product key? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; On my desktop I have a number of removable storage racks in which I can slip disks in and out in cold swap fashion. This arrangement makes it easy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Fires, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Fires Win User

W8.1/W10 dual use, same product key?

On my desktop I have a number of removable storage racks in which I can
    slip disks in and out in cold swap fashion. This arrangement makes it easy for
    me to use different versions of operating systems without having to deal with
    the complexity of virtual machines.

Im running W8.1 Pro 64 bit on a SSD as my main production system. This SSD
    hosts only the operating system and installed programs. All my data resides
    elsewhere. I have cloned this SSD to another SSD which I plan to use to upgrade
    W8.1 to W10 when W10 reaches my part of the world. Since I havent taken part in
    the Insider Program, I need a few months to ascertain if W10 is worth using as
    my main production system. During that time I want to continue using W8.1 as my
    main production system.

My question is, will W8.1 still work after I have used its product key to
    upgrade to W10? I guess W8.1 will still start but will it be able to receive
    security updates after the upgrade to W10?

Many thanks for any insight.

:)

Fires, Jul 22, 2015
  2. MeliT Win User

Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

So, originally I was using w8.1pro. Did the automatic free upgrade. Had to have the laptop repaired and when it came back I had to upgrade again. Made an iso and did that. Laptop needed further repair. When it came back I had to upgrade to w10 again. Problem
    now is it won't activate. Both times there were hardware changes.

The laptop was bought with w8.1 preinstalled but I have the original product key. My current w10 is saying I cannot activate as the product key is already in use and it is quoting the w8.1 product key

I spoke with an online customer service person and they said needed to rollback to w8.1 and reinstall w10 again. The product id currently quoted is wrong. So, I restored, the problem remains. In addition, if I wanted to rollback again it's now saying restore
    would be to windows 7! Aswell as, not being able to upgrade to free w10 anymore as it's been more than a month.

If I call the customer service/activation phone number and use the w8.1 product id, will that work?

MeliT, Jul 22, 2015
  3. Lumia 640 XL built in Korea reverts to original language on upgrade to to W10

I own a Lumia 640 XL built in Korea running W8.1. It came with the language of origin, but I was able, after some problems to find the English setting.

I needed an unlocked phone for use internationally and the dual sim is very useful when I travel. However, when I upgraded to W10 the phone reverted to to the original language and caused so much of a problem that I restored W8.1.

Due to lack of support for W8.1, I have lost some functionality, Skype being the biggest problem. Other programs have become unstable as well.

Is there some way to run the W10 upgrade and force the phone to retain the English setting?

PaulLowe1954, Jul 22, 2015
  4. Fafhrd Win User

An upgrade replaces the system it upgrades. If you do 8>10, then you have no rights to use 8 again, unless within a reasonable time, you choose to remove 10 and return your system to 8. You cannot start with an OS and and upgrade and end up with 2 OSs.

Fafhrd, Jul 22, 2015
  5. Fires Win User
    Thanks FafHrd for the clarification. Of course, I do not intend to run W8.1 in parallel with W10 forever. Only a couple of months while Im checking out W10. I will eventually abandon either 8.1 or 10. How long will I be allowed to run them in parallel, if at all?

Fires, Jul 23, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. W8.1/W10 dual use, same product key? - Similar Threads - W10 dual same

2. Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key: Can i dual boot my Windows 10 Pro OS on same PC and will it work with same Product Key which i had purchased?I want to run 2 Win10 OS on the same PC. Since my hardware config will be the same will it accept the product key on both the same OS?Please clarify if anyone has done...
  3. Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key: Can i dual boot my Windows 10 Pro OS on same PC and will it work with same Product Key which i had purchased?I want to run 2 Win10 OS on the same PC. Since my hardware config will be the same will it accept the product key on both the same OS?Please clarify if anyone has done...
  4. Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Dual Boot with same windows Product key.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Boot with same windows Product key.: I have setup a PC with dual boot windows 10 professional . This pc has its own OEM product key for windows 10 professional.in here can i use the same product key on both windows 10 ?...
  6. Dual Boot with same windows Product key.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Boot with same windows Product key.: I have setup a PC with dual boot windows 10 professional . This pc has its own OEM product key for windows 10 professional.in here can i use the same product key on both windows 10 ?...
  7. Dual Boot with same windows Product key.

8. Using the same product key twice?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using the same product key twice?: I've been thinking of making a new PC using Windows 10. I have a laptop that was once running Windows 7, but then got the free update to Windows 10 a couple years ago. Would I be able to transfer the Windows 10 key to a different computer and make it activated? If so, how?...
  9. Can I use dual OS with same product key?

Can I use dual OS with same product key?: Hello, I have two windows operating systems Win7 & Win10 on my pc. Win7 is activated however the other is not. Is it possible to activate the Win10 OS with the same product key?...
  10. Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD: Hello, I'm trying to reinstall W8 using my CD but in the Windows Setup, clicking Upgrade gives me a Compatibility Report that tells me to remove the CD, restart my computer so Windows starts normally, then reinsert the CD to restart the upgrade. Clicking Custom and then...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. upgrade w8 oroduct key to w10